Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Just plain ridiculous...

Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down

By COLLEEN LONG, Associated Press Writer Colleen Long, Associated Press Writer 1 hr 43 mins ago
    NEW YORK A worker was killed in the crush Friday after a throng of shoppers eager for post-Thanksgiving bargains burst through the doors at a suburban Wal-Mart, authorities said.
    At least four other people were injured, and the store in Valley Stream on Long Island was closed.
    Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a "tragic situation" and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store.
    "He was bum-rushed by 200 people," co-worker Jimmy Overby, 43, told the Daily News. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too. ... I literally had to fight people off my back."
    Nassau County police said the 34-year-old worker was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m. The man's name was not released and the cause of death was not immediately known.
    A police statement said shortly after the store's 5 a.m. opening time, shoppers "physically broke down the doors, knocking (the worker) to the ground."
    A metal portion of the door was crumpled like an accordion.
    Shoppers around the country lined up early outside stores in the annual bargain hunting ritual known as Black Friday. Many stores open early and stay open late, and some of the most dramatic bargains are available in limited quantities.
    Among the bargains offered by Wal-Mart for Friday were Samsung 50-inch high definition Plasma TVs for less than $800.
    Witnesses told the Daily News that before the store was closed, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the worker's life.
    "They were working on him, but you could see he was dead," said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."
    A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital for observation, and she and the unborn baby were both reported to be OK, said Sgt. Anthony Repalone, a Nassau County police spokesman. Four or five other people suffered minor injuries, he said.
    Ellen Davis, a spokeswoman at National Retail Federation, said the group knew of no other incident where a retail employee has died working on the day after Thanksgiving.
    Wal-Mart is working closely with police, company spokesman Dan Fogleman said.
    "The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority," Fogleman said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families at this difficult time."

I have never and will never be part of this shopping day. It's completely nuts.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    All that for a Tickle Me friggin Elmo, or whatever the flavor of the year is....All should be charged, but none will be.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Just insane, people behave worse then animals.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    More proof that the dolphin is the most intelligent being on this planet. What stupid waste of a young life.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    May the worker rest in peace.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    May the worker rest in peace.

+ 1 I thought about going to Walmart today then realized what day it was and decided I'm going tomorrow. Yikes.
    Arm the sheep!

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    I worked off duty at Wal Mart this morning from 4 until 11. The people who drug their 2 year old kids to the stores at 4 am are stupid....but I can't complain since the stupidity of people is what keeps food in Bob Jr's mouth and diapers on his ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

n30
    n30 is offline A woman in man's job; but always a lady ;-)
    Verified LEO
    way out sw fl by the everglades. im over it
    a co worker of mine adv they heard on cnn that 3 people died in NJ? due to a mob rush of people entering a store (target i think) when they opened @ 5am. killed 2 people by trampling on them & 1 guy had a heart attack... absolutely ridiculous! to savew what/. 50 bucks on something?????????????
    V

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I admit it, I went this morning after I got off work. The line was nuts, but I was smart. I drove around back parked in the mud (4wd ) then went in one of the back entrances (automotive) and got what I needed, then checked out in automotive (1 person it front of me comparted to 300 at the front) then left.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, I have to admit I went this morning too. I didn't hit any of the "mass market" stores, but I really wanted the free snow globe that JC Penny was giving away. Luckily there weren't many people there!
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Ok Pgg and Irishmick, what did y'all buy me?
    Arm the sheep!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Ugh..people are animals

worker was killed in the crush Friday after a throng of shoppers eager for post-Thanksgiving bargains burst through the doors at a suburban Wal-Mart, authorities said.

At least four other people were injured, and the store in Valley Stream on Long Island was closed.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a "tragic situation" and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," co-worker Jimmy Overby, 43, told the Daily News. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too. ... I literally had to fight people off my back."

Nassau County police said the 34-year-old worker was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m. The man's name was not released and the cause of death was not immediately known.

A police statement said shortly after the store's 5 a.m. opening time, shoppers "physically broke down the doors, knocking (the worker) to the ground."

A metal portion of the door was crumpled like an accordion.

Shoppers around the country lined up early outside stores in the annual bargain hunting ritual known as Black Friday. Many stores open early and stay open late, and some of the most dramatic bargains are available in limited quantities.

Among the bargains offered by Wal-Mart for Friday were Samsung 50-inch high definition Plasma TVs for less than $800.

Witnesses told the Daily News that before the store was closed, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the worker's life.

"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead," said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital for observation, and she and the unborn baby were both reported to be OK, said Sgt. Anthony Repalone, a Nassau County police spokesman. Four or five other people suffered minor injuries, he said.

Ellen Davis, a spokeswoman at National Retail Federation, said the group knew of no other incident where a retail employee has died working on the day after Thanksgiving.

Wal-Mart is working closely with police, company spokesman Dan Fogleman said.

"The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority," Fogleman said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families at this difficult time."

http://wcco.com/national/walmart.wor....2.875727.html
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Savages.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinki View Post
    Ok Pgg and Irishmick, what did y'all buy me?
    hehehe Funny enough, my brother's fiance is a freak for pink as well. I got a pink Etch-A-Sketch if that's up your alley...
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    hehehe Funny enough, my brother's fiance is a freak for pink as well. I got a pink Etch-A-Sketch if that's up your alley...

That would be perfect!
    Arm the sheep!

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Blue 4 U View Post
    Just insane, people behave worse then animals.
    Not too long ago I saw on the internet where a crowd of onlookers were chanting jump when a depressed teenager was threatening to jump off the ledge of a multi storied building... then after jumping crowded around to take photos of the kids crumpled body.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    This is unreal. People in general are stupid and ignorant and greedy.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

baumshoe is offline Baumshoe Law Enforcement Supply
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I went as well this morning. I was not in a big hurry because I didn't want any of the big ticket items, but you wouldn't believe what the stupid b***h soccor moms would do to save a dollar. Maybe they should give more deals on Cyber Monday so some of them will stay home

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I did my 'black friday' shopping online, screw the stores. Any shopping event where I have to haul out my meager self defense skills, or head to sporting goods to get weapons, no thanks.

Out of the crowd that trampled that poor guy to death, I wonder how many woke up this morning thinking "I'm going to go participate in a homicide." And I wonder how many actually admit to themselves that they did exactly that?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Or how many had trouble getting to sleep last night because of what they did.

I never go shopping on Black Friday. Ever. In fact, I used to like working that morning. I'd take a couple of books of parking tickets and head to the shopping centers just to add a little joy to the days of those morons who liked to park in handicap spots to get that "competitive edge".

Yeah I know, I'm a mean hearted bastard, but it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information