Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Bad luck

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Bad luck

New York Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down

Colleen Long • Associated Press • November 28, 2008

NEW YORK (AP) — A worker was killed in the crush Friday after a throng of shoppers eager for post-Thanksgiving bargains burst through the doors at a suburban Wal-Mart, authorities said.
    Advertisement

At least four other people were injured, and the store in Valley Stream on Long Island was closed.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a “tragic situation” and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store.

“He was bum-rushed by 200 people,” co-worker Jimmy Overby, 43, told the Daily News. “They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too. ... I literally had to fight people off my back.”

Nassau County police said the 34-year-old worker was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m. The man’s name was not released and the cause of death was not immediately known.

A police statement said shortly after the store’s 5 a.m. opening time, shoppers “physically broke down the doors, knocking (the worker) to the ground.”

Witnesses told the Daily News that before the store was closed, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the worker’s life.

Ellen Davis, a spokeswoman at National Retail Federation, said the group knew of no other incident where a retail employee has died working on the day after Thanksgiving.

Wal-Mart is working closely with police, company spokesman Dan Fogleman said.
    “The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority,” Fogleman said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families at this difficult time.”
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    I am so NOT surprised. I was at Wal Mart at 0430hrs this morning...something I usually do not do on black Friday. But the comforter set I was scoping out was on sale for $35. When I got there...the Wal Mart "limited" quantities was 20. And there was a whole group gathered around the comforters like a pack of wolves looking at an injured baby deer. They looked at me and said the red sets are already spoken for...and I said ok (I am not armed and dont feel like a beat down in Wal Mart. LOL) I asked if they could just throw me one when the bell rings. I swear when 5am hit...they actually threw me a set! Which I threw back and grabbed the one I wanted..very politely too I might add. But the people were NUTS in there. Nuts. One guy had 5 42" LCD tvs on his cart at $1000 a piece. Crazy. He didnt have teeth (they were rotted out) but damn it...he had some nice tvs. Now I know why I usually dont go..except for the true entertainment factor of watching people go crazy.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    I am so NOT surprised. I was at Wal Mart at 0430hrs this morning...something I usually do not do on black Friday. But the comforter set I was scoping out was on sale for $35. When I got there...the Wal Mart "limited" quantities was 20. And there was a whole group gathered around the comforters like a pack of wolves looking at an injured baby deer. They looked at me and said the red sets are already spoken for...and I said ok (I am not armed and dont feel like a beat down in Wal Mart. LOL) I asked if they could just throw me one when the bell rings. I swear when 5am hit...they actually threw me a set! Which I threw back and grabbed the one I wanted..very politely too I might add. But the people were NUTS in there. Nuts. One guy had 5 42" LCD tvs on his cart at $1000 a piece. Crazy. He didnt have teeth (they were rotted out) but damn it...he had some nice tvs. Now I know why I usually dont go..except for the true entertainment factor of watching people go crazy.
    That's just plain crazy. The dumbass can afford to buy 5 LCD TV's yet he won't go to a dentist.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information