Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Let's Talk Gun Safes

Looking to buy a gun safe for the house. I have been looking at the sizes that will hold app. 36 long guns. Granted my long guns have pistol grips Eotechs and the like on them so it won't hold that many, but you get the idea. Anyone have any options in theirs that is a must have? I have already checked at Academy and Dick's Sporting Goods. Still have to give Sam's Club a shot. Recommendations and opinions are welcome.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have a friend who concreted a corner of the basement, put a steel sheet on the ceiling and then got a safe door. It's a nice, large walk-in gun safe. If you have that many rifles you may want to consider hardening a room or a corner of the basement. It will probably cost the same as getting a massive safe. He even built in a humidifier.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I have a friend who concreted a corner of the basement, put a steel sheet on the ceiling and then got a safe door. It's a nice, large walk-in gun safe. If you have that many rifles you may want to consider hardening a room or a corner of the basement. It will probably cost the same as getting a massive safe. He even built in a humidifier.
    Could it also double as a bunker in which to hunker down after civilization collapses?

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post

Funny you should mention that. Shift mate of mine had the old office evidence vault door and was going to do the same thing. He gave up and ebayed the door. Sweet idea, but I'm looking to spend between $700-$1000 for the safe. Looking for a deal and quality.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Could it also double as a bunker in which to hunker down after civilization collapses?
    Also, an ideal tornado shelter if it was built in the SW corner.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Looking to buy a gun safe for the house. I have been looking at the sizes that will hold app. 36 long guns. Granted my long guns have pistol grips Eotechs and the like on them so it won't hold that many, but you get the idea. .

I think you should post pictures of your long guns
    Arm the sheep!

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=2258211

This is the safe I got last year. I am very happy with it. I got it on sale and then had a 10% coupon so I got it for nearly $200 off of the retail price.

This year I am looking at a biometric gun vault for quick access
    http://www.americanesuperstore.com/gs46714.html

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    This year I am looking at a biometric gun vault for quick access
    http://www.americanesuperstore.com/gs46714.html
    Test the biometric capabilities before buying it, just to make sure it works for you. I've used several computers with biometric encryption (supposedly it would record my fingerprint and require me to run my finger over a little sensor to turn the computer on) and the sensors never recognized my fingerprints no matter how many times I tried to get them to do so. Maybe I wore my fingerprints off by posting too much on O/R! Or maybe I don't have fingerprints because I really am just a sleeper program in Terminator's cybernetic brain!

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    I found that the "SAFE" man at the gun shows in Birmingham has good safes. They also have a lot of good ones at Marks Outdoor Sports in Vestavia Hills. You might also try the new Bass Pro Shops in Leeds. I going to get one soon, myself. Let me know what you wind up with.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Funny you should mention that. Shift mate of mine had the old office evidence vault door and was going to do the same thing. He gave up and ebayed the door. Sweet idea, but I'm looking to spend between $700-$1000 for the safe. Looking for a deal and quality.
    It'll be hard to find a safe big enough for that many guns with that budget.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Reca I looked at that same safe today as a matter of fact. And Mark's in Vestavia is where I will try my cash offers and see what I can get.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    How much do those weigh?
    Arm the sheep!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The one Reca posted is about 607 pounds if I remember right. The one I looked at over at Academy was 900 some pounds. Heavier is better in my book. Especially since I will pay to have it delivered. I also plan on bolting it to my cement basement floor.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Test the biometric capabilities before buying it, just to make sure it works for you. I've used several computers with biometric encryption (supposedly it would record my fingerprint and require me to run my finger over a little sensor to turn the computer on) and the sensors never recognized my fingerprints no matter how many times I tried to get them to do so. Maybe I wore my fingerprints off by posting too much on O/R! Or maybe I don't have fingerprints because I really am just a sleeper program in Terminator's cybernetic brain!

Do they work for others? You may just have very fine fingerprints? When I got my concealed carry permit and had to get my fingerprints done...they had to do them multiple times and still got bad prints.
    Arm the sheep!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    When I swear to tickets I log on using my finger print. Works every time if you role your finger like taking actual ink prints.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    The one Reca posted is about 607 pounds if I remember right.
    Wow...do they install them? Or, are you going to have to do that yourself if you get one (with help I would assume, LOL)?

I only have a little safe and I'm in the process of getting an AR...which is why I was curious about that...
    Arm the sheep!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinki View Post
    Wow...do they install them? Or, are you going to have to do that yourself if you get one (with help I would assume, LOL)?

I only have a little safe and I'm in the process of getting an AR...which is why I was curious about that...
    So far delivery prices start about $150 and up depending on stairs and what not.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    So far delivery prices start about $150 and up depending on stairs and what not.

Oh ok -- so they do set them up Thanks for the info.
    Arm the sheep!

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So far the best deals I have found here are at Tractor Supply. I have 2 safes right now but both are full so I need to get another now
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    Here in my town there is a steel shop that makes the gun safes on the premises. The store is a half mile from my house and they give law enforcement discounts. Six years ago I had them make me one. Even with the discount it set me back $1,200, but it's worth it. Peace of mind.

They delivered it in the back of a pickup truck and took it down into my basement without the door on it. Once they put it where I wanted it (in a small room in the basement) they put the door on. The thing is that nobody is going to get this monster out of the room with the door on it.

Whenever we go on long trips (gone for several days at least) I still take my most prized firearms and store them in the arms room vault at my department. I'm a firearms instructer and the lieutenant in charge of the firearms dosen't have any trouble with me doing that. The biggest reason why I do that is in case the bad guys knock the safe around trying to get in. I mostly don't want my favorites dinged and dented.

In addition to my guns we store other hard to replace items. A gun safe is a great investment in my opinion. Personally I've never gone to a house burlgary in which the suspects got into a safe. I've heard accounts from deputies where the suspects had lots of time and the house was isolated and the suspects were able to cut into the safe. But I'm a city cop and they don't usually have that much time in the city.

That was money well spent in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information