Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

Will the economy affect your Christmas giving?

Is the economic slowdown affecting your wallet where you'll be spending less on Christmas gifts this year...or will you be spending about the same as previous years?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I give all year long, so not so much for me.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    I will be spending about the same. The economy hasn't caught up to me, yet. I guess it hits the rich people first.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Mine will be the same. Being retired, my income is steady and still the same. I lost quite a a bit in the market, but that was rainy day money. Not what I live on.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

IMachU is offline First Class Private
    Verified LEO
    Yup, I'm not buying much for anyone this year. Sad, but I gotta take care of the immediate family first.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    What christmas spending?

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    No. I make 15000 more a year now than last year at my old department so it will probably stay the same or even increase a little.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Mine will be WAY down. My wife was in real estate, and had to just give up and quit a couple months ago. Nobody was buying, but she was still expected to pay all the fees. And advertising a house for sale is $$$, which normally isn't a problem, you make it back on the sale.

She's got another job, but at a pretty big pay cut, and doesn't start until Jan.1. We're just glad we could actually find someone hiring. Needless to say, I'm working all the side jobs I can. Working a basketball game tonight actually, after my 12 hour shift. yeaa.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I expect to spend about the same as last year on gifts for friends and family. If you count gifts to myself for the house, it'll be more than last year.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    What christmas spending?
    The Christmas spending for all of the O/R members, of course!
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    The main way the economy is affecting me is that prices for food have been higher and interest rates have been rising on my credit cards, which I've been relying on to cover budget shortfalls. I think I'll be spending the same on holiday gifts as usual, though, since it's not a lot anyway. I only give holiday gifts to a few people who are unlikely to give me gifts in return, such as my father, my administrative assistant, and my building superintendent. If I give holiday gifts to all my friends, I might get too many holiday gifts in return and it would be a hassle because I don't have time or space to manage any more stuff than I already have. Most of them also don't want a lot of stuff and already have everything they want, so it's hard to shop for them, especially since some might be offended if I unintentionally give them something contrary to their religious, cultural, and/or political beliefs and traditions. And if I give gifts to some of my friends I'll feel like I should be giving to all of them and I'd end up trying to buy hundreds of gifts and get crushed to death at WalMart.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    The main way the economy is affecting me is that it's harder to get low-interest balance transfers on credit cards, which I've been relying on to cover budget shortfalls. I think I'll be spending the same on Christmas gifts as usual, though, since it's not a lot anyway. I only give gifts to a few people who are unlikely to give me gifts in return, such as my administrative assistant and building superintendent. It's way too difficult to try to find gifts for my friends, because I'm always afraid of getting too many gifts in return when I don't have time or space to manage any more material possessions than I already have, and because some might be offended if I give them something contrary to their religious or political views.
    This, dear Jenna, is why I bake cookies. They make a perfect gift and no one get offended (and if they do, they're asshats who didn't need my tasty cookies anyway).
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Ace
    Ace is offline haud pacis pro scelestus
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Retmilleo909 View Post
    Is the economic slowdown affecting your wallet where you'll be spending less on Christmas gifts this year...or will you be spending about the same as previous years?
    Actually probably will end up spending a little more, but credit cards are completely off limits. No cash, no go...
    RIP Sarah Noll~11-8-87 to 4-17-08

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    This, dear Jenna, is why I bake cookies. They make a perfect gift and no one get offended (and if they do, they're asshats who didn't need my tasty cookies anyway).
    Unfortunately I don't know how to use an oven, and in any case I'd be afraid of accidentally giving non-vegan cookies to friends who just became vegan without telling me.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    No matter how hard you try to find a bargain, if you spend the same as you have in the past years you will still be buying less. High energy and gas prices increased prices of a lot of every day items. Gas & Oil prices have declined but you are not seeing that decline in the prices on items on store shelves.

I only have a few to buy gifts for so I can splurge a little, but I still need to be careful. The economic future is scary.

Kate is offline Corporal
    Although I'm working lots of OT, Christmas will still be frugal this year. It's all commercialized anyway, and that bothers me. I'll just be glad when it's over.

The kids will get some hockey tickets to see the Flyers and jerseys. Mikey will get an IPod Touch and Anthony will get a gift certificate for an XBox 360 game. Other than that, I'll just be getting for my mom and my neice. Nothing elaborate. I want to move so I'm trying to save, save, save.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    Although I'm working lots of OT, Christmas will still be frugal this year. It's all commercialized anyway, and that bothers me. I'll just be glad when it's over.

Ba Humbug Kate!

Actually I know what you mean, the holidays can get too crazy and some people just go over the top and forget what it is really all about. I can see if there are little kids in the house, then making Christmas extra special is worth it just to see their excitement and smiles on Christmas morning.

Over the past few years my neighbors have been in competition decorating their Windows and yards, I felt like asking them if they thought they were Macy's or Sachs 5th Ave Windows. It was just ridiculously over the top. I was almost tempted to get one of those huge flashing highway signs to put in the front of my house, of course the sign would not have been flashing Merry Christmas either.

Thread Information