Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

How many OR members have served in or are now serving in the military?

Have any of you served in, or are now serving in the military; if so what branch of service are you in, or were you in?
    What wars did you serve in?
    WW-2, Korean War, Vietnam War, 1st. Gulf War, Afghanistan War, 2nd. Gulf War.
    Also, what US military operations did you serve in under NATO or the UN peacekeepers such as the one's in Croatia, Bosnia and Somalia.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Did 10 years 7yrs. active 3 reserve U.S Army Paratrooper 1990-2000. Don't care to talk about my war stories, but I did save a bundle on my car insurance switching to Geico.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Not serving in the military is the great regret of my life thus far. I underwent a significant transformation in between the ages of 18 and 26...When I was younger, I had a "world revolves around me" type of attitude. Now that I'm older and wiser (and more mature), I really wish I would've gone straight into the Marine Corps right after college (if I would've known that I eventually settle into a career in LE instead of sports journalism, I probably would have at least considered it).

For those who served and are currently serving, I say a sincere thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Have any of you served in, or are now serving in the military; if so what branch of service are you in, or were you in? United States Air Force (air police/anti-terrorism)

What wars did you serve in? Operations Noble Eagle and Enduring Freedom, GWOT

Also, what US military operations did you serve in under NATO or the UN peacekeepers such as the one's in Croatia, Bosnia and Somalia. Not applicable
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    United States Navy 1982-1989 , first duty station was NAS Miramar in beautiful San Diego. I was assigned to an F-14 Tomcat squadron and made two Western Pacific cruises, one aboard the U.S.S. Ranger and one aboard the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk. Second duty station was at the Naval Fighter Weapons School ( better known as Topgun) also at Miramar. As a Cold War warrior I got to play fun and games with the Ruskies in scenic places like the Indian Ocean. Got out as E-6 to pursue a career in law enforcement.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    US Army. ELS'd out AIT on medical. Was in long enough to get my blue cord, though. 11Bravo
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Mac120 is offline Semper Fi
    US Marine Corps (00-07)
    Iraq-2005

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    U.S.Army,13A10 field artillery,1970-72,Viet Nam era,nuff said

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I joined the Louisiana National Guard in 1983. I was in communications specifically a 31C. At the time I was extremely proud to serve in that branch. Knowing then what I know now I would have joined a full time service. Probably Army or Coast Guard. Due to circumstances beyond my control it was not a pleasant service. It was actually the single biggest dissapointment of my life to date. This has absolutely nothing against former or current Guardsman who are enjoying their service. I completed almost 4 years of duty time and the rest in the IRR. My unit was activated for Desert Storm but never deployed and I was never contacted.
    I truly regret not giving more consideration to active duty. However, if I had I would not be where I am today.
    My oldest son, although not completely happy with his enlistment, has served almost 6 years in the Airforce and has also completed a tour in Afganistan. I have never been more proud of him in my life.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    USAF 1989-1992 active, 1992-1996 reserve (security police)

Served during Desert Storm but stayed stateside
    Served in Panama during Just Cause (sp? looks funny..long day lol)
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

AlDeputy is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    US Army Military Police 1979 - 1995, early retirement. Missed Haiti by 1 week and was a Drill Sgt during Gulf 1, they would not let me go.
    But you're a deputy, you can't give me a ticket!

Yea Ok, sign here and press hard there are 4 copies!

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    10+ years, active & guard. Served enough in Bubba Clinton's Dog Wagging adventures.

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    '67 - '70, USAF
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My father served in WWII straight out of High School from 1942-1945 or 46 USN as an underwater sonar man in the submarines. He was in the Pacific as well as the Atlantic.

Kittylynn's father was US Army during Viet Nam but somehow they lost his papers. He became a Drill Instructor at Ft Ord, CA (near Monterrey). While Training some trainees at the range, one of them went wacko and started shooting during a training exercise and injured 5 men. My father in law was injured in the knee. Others didn't fare so well. To my recollection one was shot in the butt and another in the back thus making him an instant parapalegic. The Trainee ended up serving time at Ft Leavenworth for his escapade.

As for me, I went to basic about 1983 at Ft Leonard Wood, MO but had a severe case of homesickness. 12 Bravo, Combat Engineer. I also failed to qualify at the range as it was my first time handling any type of firearm, ever. I think I should have went a bit later and not so young and fresh out of High School.

Now I am a civilian employee of the Military 2001 to the present working for AAFES. The Army and Air Force Exchange Service. This is the organization that operates all the Post Exchanges and Base Exchanges for the Army and the Air Force. I work in a distribution center at Sharpe Army Depot near Stockton, CA. We supply various goods, tax free, for the members of the Military, current and retired, and their dependents world wide. Even Iraq and Afghanistan. We even send our own people over there to man the stores so our soldiers can get the same goods that they are used to getting at home. Basically we are the Wal-Mart for the military, for lack of a better term.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children (1960-1968.)

Crewed one of these little gems the first couple of years -

One BADASS little scooter. (Ist Anti-tank Btn. / 1st Marine Division, FMF)

The rest of my time was in and around the supply system.

Missed the Nam by the skin of my teeth. (Still have mixed emotions about that.)

Honorable discharge as a Staff Sergeant (E6).

"Once a Marine - Always a Marine." (You can take the Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps out of the Marine.)

Semper Fi, and thanks to all for their service, whatever it may have been.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Stalker263 is offline OPS SGT
    Verified LEO
    US Army 1982-1991
    Alabama National Guard 91-97
    US Army Reserve 97 to July 08 (Active Duty 04-07)

Just Cause, Nobel Eagle, Enduring Freedom

Retired First Sergeant but most challenging assignment was Brigade Operations NCOIC while mobilized 04-07
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory!
    Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Maine Army National Guard
    63J Chemical Equipment Repairer
    1996-2002

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Have any of you served in, or are now serving in the military; if so what branch of service are you in, or were you in? United States Air Force (air police/anti-terrorism)

What wars did you serve in? Operations Noble Eagle and Enduring Freedom, GWOT

Also, what US military operations did you serve in under NATO or the UN peacekeepers such as the one's in Croatia, Bosnia and Somalia. Not applicable
    Same here only I was active duty with two different ANG units. 2004-2008
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Navy: enlisted 1967, OCS commission 1969. Eyes went bad at entry to flight school, no waivers, so went on as NFO. Like a USAF Navigator, certain career path doors closed. Served active duty 1970-73 in WESTPAC., Aleutians, I.O., & SE Asia in Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Learned a few things about: a) hating Jane Fonda as the bitch shrieked on Radio Hanoi's HF freq, b) while the bitch shrieked new Soviet 2-stage boosted SAM-3 missles were killing a lot more of our USAF B-52 crews (( note the huge rise in USAF enlisted aircrew casualties )), c) old and new sea mines and their applications, d) oceanography, sonar, precise navigation, logged some periscope time as necessary, e) flew thru a few typhoons or cyclones, f) fast Baht-bus drivers driving past stinky tapioca factories deserved big tips, g)non-US security forces on foreign military bases don't care who you are, if you are in the wrong place.

Use-of-force lesson # 1 was finding a hungry 3 or 4 inch poisonous centipede in my flight boot and the knife-happy new LT Navy MD wanted to "open" or amputate half my purple swollen foot, just like he cut off the boot. "No way" but he was a poor listener. When he ordered a nurse to start anesthesia, I backed up my "no" with my Ka-Bar (my non-issued Walther P-38 9mm pistol was in my crew seat chart bag), the nurse vanished and our 3rd pilot and unit Corpsman got me out of there with any paper records. The centipede was just a hungry bug, this MD was a ghoul looking for something else.....The Chief Corpsman made it "sound" better to my XO, and another Navy Corpsman followed up care for my foot. Lesson: always shake out your boots, and always trust the "doc".

The US Army usually has a better motor pool, any US Air Force base is preferred for having an engine breakdown. CDN Forces hospitality was always genuine and help was there when needed. HMCS Rainbow was one such command. CFB Comox had a great annual "singles" weekend. Customs cleared military arrivals quickly, but female passenger stowaways were a departure no-no.

Continued in reserves to get 20 years for retirement. Survived one strike/mishap in 1981, crash fire meltdown on runway. Madigan Army hospital was ok, the CH47 ride was not. Got my blue retired ID last year. It was fun, sad, now it's over. Had lunch today with an old friend fellow LEO who was an Aussie Vietnam vet, and a French Foreign Legionaire. We talked of much 'stuff' since we buried our ex-Sheriff in Oct. Memories are for us old farts, while we can remember.

Highlights of my military service:
    Re-enlisted my son in 2004.
    Hope to swear him in as CPO or LDO in 2009.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Whitepaw is offline Student of Life
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    USAF - 1973-1978
    Army National Guard 1978-1985
    US Army 1985-2000
    Retired US Army
    Ask me if I would do it again?...You damn right, skippy!
    "God Bless America"

"I have no words of wisdom, therefore I listen..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information