Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

What would you do?

If you walked into a Walmart store today and saw a crumpled $5 or $10 bill or a smooth $50 or $100 bill, all in full view, laying on the floor and there was no one in the immediate area, what would you do in each case?

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Pick them up and take them to the customer service center. And probably, instead of leaving them with them, I would leave my name and phone number for someone to get a hold of me if anyone came asking for them. I don't trust customer service people at WalMart. lol
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Give them to customer service.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    Pick them up and take them to the customer service center. And probably, instead of leaving them with them, I would leave my name and phone number for someone to get a hold of me if anyone came asking for them. I don't trust customer service people at WalMart. lol
    Agreed. Then I would take it to the PD and put it on the found property shelf in the evidence room. A small bill I would drop in the Salvation Army pot on the way out.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Spend it,,, tell the truth, finders keepers, losers weepers,,,, right??
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

If not properly identified, the crumpled $5 or $10 bill would go in the red kettle and the $50-$100 bill in the fireman's boot to buy toys for tots.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    I found $35 (10 and 20 dollar bill) around this time last year outside my bank. Gave it to the teller. For me pocketing it would feel like bad karma.

Side note: There were these coupons going around at our county fair a few years back that looked like folded $20 bills. It was great putting them on the ground and watching people find them. Some would do the old step on it and pick it up while acting like they were tying a shoe. Others would shift their eyes around to see if the coast was clear then grab it real quick.
    I know.... I'm mean....

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Spend it,,, tell the truth, finders keepers, losers weepers,,,, right??
    That's what someone did to me..I lost two $100 bills in Lowes builder's supplies last summer, reported it to the desk and that's the last I've heard.
    I would put a quarter or a buck in my pocket without question, but this time of year I would try to find the kid or adult who dropped any bill over 5 bucks as it could be a gift from a kid to his mother or some family's Christmas. There are a lot of folks around here without jobs this year.

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Advise Customer Services that it had been found but I'd book it into found property at the local station.

We have an offence of Theft by Finding, which someone would be guilty of if they do not take all reasonable steps to find the owner.
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Actually I would also look for the owner if someone appeared to be looking for something or I would leave my contact info with a store manager in the event the rightful owner reported the loss. Being the time of year that it is, if I was not contacted I would donate it.
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That was the right thing to do Caveman, but I am checking your post and it seems you possibly kept $5.00....................

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I found $35 (10 and 20 dollar bill) around this time last year outside my bank. Gave it to the teller. For me pocketing it would feel like bad karma.

Side note: There were these coupons going around at our county fair a few years back that looked like folded $20 bills. It was great putting them on the ground and watching people find them. Some would do the old step on it and pick it up while acting like they were tying a shoe. Others would shift their eyes around to see if the coast was clear then grab it real quick.
    I know.... I'm mean....
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post

I know.... I'm mean....
    Same here, something doesn't add up right.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    That was the right thing to do Caveman, but I am checking your post and it seems you possibly kept $5.00....................
    I ahhhh..I-I-I mean ahhhhh, a 10 and a 25 dollar bill.. no no, I mean a 20 and a 15 dollar bill..
    Shit I give up, you caught me..
    Yes its true,, I suck at math

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Same here, something doesn't add up right.
    Come on guys give him a break, he's a caveman for Christ sake. I hate to stereotype but I guess the Geico commercials' implications about cavemen are correct.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    I've taught my kids to be honest and fair. How can I expect for them to do that if I pocket what I find? Customer service it will go to. However, once it goes there, good question where it will go once behind the counter.

I know.... I'm mean.... [/QUOTE]

Hey caveman!! you gotta look the part.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    It you take it to customer service, it could end up in an employee's pocket. I'll pass on that one. I'll show them the money I found, give them my information, and take it with me.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Turn it in, I found a dollar bill when I first started at my current dept. while conducting foot patrol. I turned it in to my supers and got a little bit of a rubbing for it since it did not go in my pocket since it was a dollar
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    If it is cash, you know it is not going to get back to it's rightful owner. I say either leave it to be someone else's decision, or give that money to a good charity. They need that money more than any of us most likely.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    I would call CSI and the FBI to the scene to conduct a full scale investigation as to the identity of the previous ownner. The investigation would uncover a sinister plot to take over the financial world by dropping small amounts of money in Walmarts all over America. I would be lauded a hero and given a parade in my honor.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information