Welcome to the APBWeb.
    mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

In the line of duty!

Police officer deaths drop in 2008, groups say
    Buzz Up Send
    Email IM Share
    Digg Facebook Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print By LARRY MARGASAK, Associated Press Writer Larry Margasak, Associated Press Writer Mon Dec 29, 7:19 am ETWASHINGTON Fewer police officers died in the line of duty in 2008 compared to last year, reflecting better training and tactics, two law enforcement support groups reported Sunday.

The findings reversed the trend for 2007 when there was a spike in police deaths, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund and another group, Concerns of Police Survivors.

The groups reported fatalities through Sunday.

Officer deaths this year totaled 140, compared to 181 in 2007.

Gunfire deaths dropped to 41 officers this year, compared to 68 in 2007. The 2008 number represented the lowest total since 1956 when there were 35 and was far below the peak of 156 officers killed by gunfire in 1973.

Traffic-related deaths also declined, with 71 officers killed this year, compared to 83 in 2007. It was the 11th consecutive year that more officers were killed in traffic incidents than from any other cause.

More than 61 percent of this year's fatalities involved accidents and 39 percent resulted from criminal acts.

The only downside was deaths of women officers: 15 in 2008 compared to 6 a year ago. More women officers than before are in harm's way, the groups said, because they're taking on the same dangerous assignments as men.

Craig Floyd, chairman of the Memorial Fund, said in an interview that officers are getting better training and equipment.

More than 70 percent of policemen use bullet-resistant vests compared to fewer than half a decade ago, he said.

And officers are making better use of Taser stun guns and other non-lethal weapons that keep them a safe distance from violent offenders, Floyd said.

To avoid traffic deaths, officers are better trained in high-speed and defensive driving techniques. Police vehicles now have better safety equipment, including side air bags and a substance installed near the gas tank to suppress fire when the vehicle is struck.

The states with the most deaths were Texas with 14, followed by California with 12, then Florida and Pennsylvania with eight apiece,

Other factors cited by Floyd for the reduction in police fatalities:

_A record 2.3 million adult criminals behind bars, according to a study released earlier this year by the Pew Center on the States.

_A 2007 violent crime rate that held steady at the 2005 level, according to the Justice Department.

The Memorial Fund honors law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty and is in charge of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington.

Concerns of Police Survivors provides support and counseling to surviving family members of officers killed in the line of duty.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Great news, but 140 deaths are still 140 too many.

Will we see an uptick in violence once Obama is in office? I believe we will.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    Will we see an uptick in violence once Obama is in office? I believe we will.
    I believe you are right. I read after he won the election that quite a few people that were being arrested thought Obama would get them out of trouble.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    I will concur with that, unless Obama becomes a law and order (he's a law jockey so I HIGHLY doubt that) type.

It would be nice if just one president actually attended or spoke at the memorial during Police week.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Obama WILL be a hinderance to the status quo of good police work. Don't believe me, just wait for his judicial appointments and the decisions on case law that follow.

Also, I'm betting that with the rough economy, we're going to see a sharp upturn in blue collar crime VERY soon, if not already.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Bush spoke at the ceremony in 06.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    ODMP has a graph showing this on their main page, under statistics.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information