Welcome to the APBWeb.
    KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO

Looking to buy: T-Mobile G1 vs. iPhone

I have been looking at the G1 and the iPhone and I'm trying to decide between the two.

Pros and cons that I know myself, feel free to correct me and help me make a decision:

iPhone
    Pros:
    Excellent video and music player
    Size

Cons:
    No MMS
    No physical keyboard
    Not really a con, but I'd have to switch to AT&T

G1
    Pros:
    Keyboard
    MMS capable
    I already have T-Mobile

Cons:
    Does it have a viable iPod touch replacing video player?
    Size
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    I have T-Mobile and i want a G1 bad....however, to type at all, the phone must be turned horizontally and the screen flipped up to reveal the keyboard. Which makes it kinda tough to hammer out a quick text because it's hard to do 1-handed like you could on any other phone. I may end up getting a blackberry, but my pops has an iPhone and it is pretty kick ass. I don't like that it has no MMS, but there sure a lot of crazy apps that are iPhone only AND the built in iPod (as well as instant iTunes access on the phone).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I have T-Mobile and i want a G1 bad....however, to type at all, the phone must be turned horizontally and the screen flipped up to reveal the keyboard. Which makes it kinda tough to hammer out a quick text because it's hard to do 1-handed like you could on any other phone. I may end up getting a blackberry, but my pops has an iPhone and it is pretty kick ass. I don't like that it has no MMS, but there sure a lot of crazy apps that are iPhone only AND the built in iPod (as well as instant iTunes access on the phone).
    Yeah, the whole one-handed texting I think will be an issue regardless of which one I pick. I guess I'll have to get used to using two hands to text. And right now I use the iPod Touch to watch videos at work all the time, not sure if the G1 does that.
    ΑΦΣ

Verified LEO
    I will also throw this out there. Although I'm sure you get used to it eventually, it is seriously hard as hell to type on the iPhone. That's where I really like the idea of the real qwerty keyboard of the G1 and the BlackBerry.
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later

Verified LEO
    I will also throw this out there. Although I'm sure you get used to it eventually, it is seriously hard as hell to type on the iPhone. That's where I really like the idea of the real qwerty keyboard of the G1 and the BlackBerry.
    Yeah, I hated it at first when I tried it, but I think I'd get a hang of it if I use it enough. But yeah, that is one major selling point of the G1.
    ΑΦΣ

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I belive the iPhone's keyboard is on screen. Even when a phone has a full qwerty keyboard, it's not like you can type on it like you can a normal-sized keyboard. Either way, you're using thumbs so it's seems trivial.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Verified LEO
    Does anyone know if there's a phone friendly LEF? :P
    ΑΦΣ

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    Does anyone know if there's a phone friendly LEF? :P

Yep, we have a mobile version
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    Yep, we have a mobile version
    Working on both iPhone and G1?
    ΑΦΣ

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    Working on both iPhone and G1?
    It should. Works on Blackberry and the Iphone for sure. One other user browses from a regular mobile phone
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    KaiGwyer OR does have a WAP forums. Contact Reca for details.

As for the G1 the major selling point other than the keyboard is it is all open source. Developers are programming a ton of awesome programs for it. Right now they are all free but their app store is going to begin allowing charging for programs in '09. Some will be free, some will cost money. Developers all over are going crazy with amazing apps and games.

The Apple tightly controls the apps and they all have to be approved. It is also proprietary so developers have to be in bed with Apple. There's a lot out there right now but soon you won't be able to beat the G1.

The OS that the G1 is based on is the Google Android OS and the developers are part of the Open Handset Alliance (OHA.) Sprint has announced an Android handset in 2009 but I don't know if it will have a physical keyboard or not.

Android sets should be able to view the real Internet web sites without the WAP translators too.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    KaiGwyer OR does have a WAP forums. Contact Reca for details.

As for the G1 the major selling point other than the keyboard is it is all open source. Developers are programming a ton of awesome programs for it. Right now they are all free but their app store is going to begin allowing charging for programs in '09. Some will be free, some will cost money. Developers all over are going crazy with amazing apps and games.

The Apple tightly controls the apps and they all have to be approved. It is also proprietary so developers have to be in bed with Apple. There's a lot out there right now but soon you won't be able to beat the G1.

The OS that the G1 is based on is the Google Android OS and the developers are part of the Open Handset Alliance (OHA.) Sprint has announced an Android handset in 2009 but I don't know if it will have a physical keyboard or not.

Android sets should be able to view the real Internet web sites without the WAP translators too.
    that all makes the G1 sound pretty damn nice...Christmas 2009, here i come!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    that all makes the G1 sound pretty damn nice...Christmas 2009, here i come!
    What if that model is obsolete by then? What if cell phones no longer work by then and we're all just using tin cans and string because of the economic crisis?

Verified LEO
    Well it's done. I bought the iPhone and as a matter of fact I'm using it to post right now

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

I would be interested in any further updates as you continue to use the new iPhone. I am sort of backing into the smartphone ownership slowly. I have a Nextel through work, but it doesn't have coverage in some of the areas that I go on my ATV, etc. While I was on one of my trips this past sumer I thought that it would be nice to have a handhelp GPS/cell phone. Well, that essentially translates to a smartphone/PDA phone. I have looked at the prices of new phones with contract service, but I am not willing to pay that right now. I ended up buying a used Pharos GPS Phone 600 and installing Garmin Mobile XT software. It works as a GPS without cell phone service because it has a built in SiRF Star III receiver. It also has wifi and will surf if I am near an access point that I can get into. For me this is working out very well. I haven't even subscribed to service through AT&T or T-Mobile, but I could get pre-paid service since it is an unlocked phone. I am sure that at some point in the future I will upgrade, but for now this is working great.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I regularly read The Android Guys blog. They consistently have great info on new handsets as well as reviews of Android applications. I recommend anyone in the smart phone market check out some of the articles, and app reviews there.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO

T-Mobile G1 vs. iPhone 3G

Here is a CNET video of T-Mobile G1 vs. iPhone 3G

http://cnettv.cnet.com/2001-1_53-500...CmoreStories.0

Oh, thank you for URL on Androids. I heard that a future Garmin Nuvifone may be Android. Not the first one due, but possibly the second wave.

Verified LEO
    So far I love the iPhone. I went to RDU today, and used it to Facebook while on the plane (on the ground obviously..lol)
    ΑΦΣ

Verified LEO

Raleigh/Durham International Airport?

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    Raleigh/Durham International Airport?
    Yup