Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO

Thumbs up Good People Are Still Out There...

This is a TRUE STORY recently relayed to me through my Mother:

My cousin who is hard working, married, and father of four, is still active in the Marine Corps and has served in Iraq. He recently flew out to the mid-west for some type of training with the Corp.

Apparently he sat down on the plane next to a man and a conversation ensued. The man learned that my cousin was a Marine and he was flying to training. The man then told my cousin how he was almost finished with a book (I forget the title) that involves a Marine and his experiences and whatnot. He told my cousin that if he would like it to read he may have it since he was almost finished reading it. My cousin thought it was a very nice gesture and made sure that the man really didn't want to keep the book for any reason.

Next, my cousin took a nap on the flight to rest up for his training exercises.

Once the plane had landed, the man leaned over to my cousin and offered to give him the book since he had finished it during the flight and now had no need for it. My cousin once again checked to see if the man wanted to keep it but he insisted my cousin take it, being a very good book. He thanked the man and placed the book in his carry on bag.

Later that evening my cousin decided to crack open the book and start reading it. As he opened the cover, to his surprise 150 dollars in cash fell out of the book! He then noticed a note written on the inside of the cover that read something similar to: "Thank you for your service in the military for our country. Have a nice dinner on me."

I wanted to share this with all of you because I often think there are no more good people left in this world, but this is obviously a reminder that there are.

To the man that gave my cousin this money, I would like to thank you for doing something nice. It inspires me to do the same for someone else who deserves it as much as my cousin did.

- 10-42Adam
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    It's nice to hear this sort of thing
    Arm the sheep!

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    That's awesome to hear. It's nice to know there are still people out there who care about and appreciate the service our troops give to this country.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It seems like everytime I'm about to give up on people, someone comes along and reminds me that there are good people in this world.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    It seems like everytime I'm about to give up on people, someone comes along and reminds me that there are good people in this world.
    Same here, Captain America.

I'd still like to think that there are more good people than bad, the good ones just don't make the news.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

I'd still like to think that there are more good people than bad, the good ones just don't make the news.
    Roger that.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Very nice.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Great story, thanks for sharing it.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Great story, thanks for sharing it.
    Thank you for reading it.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

The world is full of such people....shed the armour and go out into the world you serve and protect and you will find them.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Wow, that's pretty awesome of this traveller. I have also heard of business travellers giving up their first class seats to soldiers.

If at any time I have a soldier in uniform flying with us and there is room in first class, the soldier WILL be offered a seat in first class on the flight, free of charge. Not policy by any means, but lots of us do it as just a nice little gesture.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Yes, there are good people out there. Sometimes it may seem that they are few and far between but they are out there.

I am honored to be a civilian employee of the US Military. These men and women also deserve the utmost respect.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    It is really hard for those of us that are on the streets all the time to still have faith in people. Almost all we see is the bad in people and it can really f up your views if you let it. But you got to have faith that there still is good in people, and that the only problem is it is easier to see the bad. But much like the general public never really gets to see how much good there is in policing because all they hear about in the news is the bad cops getting in trouble.....we as cops can have a hard time seeing the good in people. But we must have faith and know that the majority of people truly are good. We just don't see them or see examples of them anywhere near as much as we see the bad seeds.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Excellent!
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Bet he was a Republican.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Thanks for sharing...

(and thanks to your cousin for his service)
    FIGHT ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    When my kind come to rule this planet your name shall be put on a list, a protected list, and no harm shall come to you.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Awesome Story!

It is always encouraging when you hear stories like this, especially for those in Law Enforcement where you tend to see mostly the bad in people or when a good person is in need because they have been victimized. Rarely, if ever are you called for something good.

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Thanks for sharing the story....nice to hear
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Yes, there are good people out there with good values and people who actually have respect for the LE and the military. It is unfortunate that you don't always see or hear of them but they are out there. Moving to the area I am now in (Tri-state area in Indiana) I have found a different attitude in people as opposed to when I lived in the Florida Keys. People here have more respect for each other, are willing to help their neighbor, and have a smile when meeting a stranger. I noticed this same attitude in Kentucky and have seen it in Ohio as well. So, while it is often few and far between in Law Enforcement (for obvious reasons) it is out there.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Kate is offline Corporal
    Awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information