Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

HR 45 and 22 Amendment

Just doing some reading and I see there are a couple of bills being introduced, the first is HR 45 which is licensing and registration of firearms and owners and the second is to get rid of the 22nd Amendment. I was able to pull up HR45 from the House of Representatives site but I don't have a bill number on the other. Has anyone else seen these?

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    H.J. Res. 5: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second...

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hj111-5
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Removing the 22nd Amendment (Presidential Term Limits) so Barack can be King For Life.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Ignorance at it's finest!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    And people say the Republicans are imperialist.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I suspect Clinton is behind this. Nobody wanted to run for a third term more than he did.

As far as Obama goes, let's see how popular he is in a few years......
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    At the end of his term, Clinton and the Dems leadership at the time were vocal in their desire to have the presidential term limits abolished so he could continue on. The reality of the time was that if there were no term limits, Clinton sttod an excellent chance of having a third term.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Some time ago, I recall reading an interesting idea... One term, 6 years.

Seems like most presidents do OK to pretty good during the first couple of years, not bad to pretty good during the next couple... but go sharply downhill halfway through their second (if they get it).

Don't know... but it's an interesting idea.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Proposing changes to the Constitution is dangerous. I'll be the first to say I think some better language would be nice in certain places and that I'd like to see a few things changed or deleted. But in the long run, even the changes I'd agree with would probably have consequences that wouldn't help out the country.

Leave it alone.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Verified LEO
    I seriously doubt it would pass in enough states to ever get ratified. Most people don't want a President for life.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Actually, the buzz for having a Con-Con is growing. I wouldn't be surprised to see one being floated soon, "to correct deficiencies in a modern age."

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Actually, the buzz for having a Con-Con is growing. I wouldn't be surprised to see one being floated soon, "to correct deficiencies in a modern age."
    They can have it, but when push comes to shove most Americans are pretty much middle of the road politically and I doubt they would be interested in having the constitution tweaked.

The fact the government swings from left to right and back shows they extremism of any flavor doesn't carry much water. As much as I disliked him, Clinton wasn't all that liberal. I think that's why he was so popular, he was fairly center. I didn't like him because he was an opportunist and didn't have the guts to protect our nation. But he did push welfare reform and other than Hillary's socialized medicine proposal, he didn't enact many liberal policies at all.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    As much as I disliked him, Clinton wasn't all that liberal. I think that's why he was so popular, he was fairly center. I didn't like him because he was an opportunist and didn't have the guts to protect our nation. But he did push welfare reform and other than Hillary's socialized medicine proposal, he didn't enact many liberal policies at all.
    He didn't have the chance, because he had to run towards the middle to survive Republican Congress.

Whatever his actual political stripe was, he had to be pragmatic.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Clinton got welfare reform jammed down his throat by a Republican congress.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post

Verified LEO
    Not really. He took it from the Republicans in 1991 and made it part of his original campaign when he first ran and he still had a Demcratic congress.. He did it because he knew it was popular, not because anything was rammed down his throat. Besides, the Republicans never had enough of a majority to override a veto. The Republicans didn't get control of Congress until the last half of his first term.

Don't forget, he won the budget standoff with Gingrich and the Republicans when they tried to raise defense spending and cut some other things. The Republicans never really bullyed Clinton into anything. Not to mention they couldn't convict him in the Senate after he was impeached. Clinton managed to run roughshod over Gingrich and company and blame them for everything that went wrong. And the public bought it because the Republicans allowed it.

As far as PR and genuine political manuvering, the Republicans can't hold a light to the Democrats. They've allowed Bush to be a whipping boy for 8 years. The Democrats fought tooth and nail for Clinton when he was under fire.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    He didn't have the chance, because he had to run towards the middle to survive Republican Congress.

Whatever his actual political stripe was, he had to be pragmatic.
    And that was what was appealing about him to the public. He did everything by polls. His poll takers screwed up with Lewinsky though and told him the public wouldn't want him to cop to it.

It made him popular, but it didn't make him a good President though.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not really. He took it from the Republicans in 1991 and made it part of his original campaign when he first ran and he still had a Demcratic congress.. He did it because he knew it was popular, not because anything was rammed down his throat. Besides, the Republicans never had enough of a majority to override a veto. The Republicans didn't get control of Congress until the last half of his first term.
    The Contract With America included legislation known as The Personal Responsibility Act and the legislation was introduced by Republicans as HR 4. It was passed by both houses of Congress in 1995 and vetoed by Clinton. In 1996 the "Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act" was introduced by E. Clay Shaw Jr, a Republican from Florida. It was passed by both houses and signed by Clinton into law in 1996.

Verified LEO
    The Contract With America included legislation known as The Personal Responsibility Act and the legislation was introduced by Republicans as HR 4. It was passed by both houses of Congress in 1995 and vetoed by Clinton. In 1996 the "Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act" was introduced by E. Clay Shaw Jr, a Republican from Florida. It was passed by both houses and signed by Clinton into law in 1996.

You're right. I was thinking it was in his first campaign. But Clinton managed to take it as his own though. He took credit for it rather than veto it because it was popular.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You're right. I was thinking it was in his first campaign. But Clinton managed to take it as his own though. He took credit for it rather than veto it because it was popular.
    He was indeed a masterful politician.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information