Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor

Special Olympics

So.... I dont know if anyone on here knows but my little brother is mildly retarded and he competes in the WI special Olympics. Here in WI, Law Enforcement is a big supporter in the WI Special Olympics so it kinda is a cool deal for me to participate on both sides helping by volunteering and of course watching my little Brother.

So I was on their site tonight and this video is playing which I thought was awesome and thought I would share with my friends on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdfPDuhrKQQ
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Cool
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We do a special olympics fundraiser every year, and generate a ton of support.

I think LE in general is one of the special olympics biggest support bases.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    We do a special olympics fundraiser every year, and generate a ton of support.

I think that's because most of our command are probably eligible to compete.....

Unfortunately, Oregon may not have one this year. Contributions are way down, probably due to the economy. It's a rotten shame if they have to cancel it.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    That almost sounds like Chris Burke. He played Corky Thatcher on the hit series "Life Goes On".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Burke_(actor)

Chris Burke featuring Joe &amp John DeMasi

Everyone deserves to feel special and important despite whatever problems that life has thrown at them.

My wife Kittylynn assists a disabled but beautiful young lady who suffers from Muscular Dystrophy in going to college. She is confined to an electric wheelchair and has very limited range of movement. About the only thing she can do is speak, think, and about 6" of movement in her hands. She wants to be a foreign language interpreter. Majoring in Chinese and a minor in Spanish. She is an A student. One of her Chinese teachers mentioned to the class that her best student wasn't of Asian descent. Never once have I heard of her complaining about her situation. The sweet spirit of this gentle angel certainly buoys me up when I am feeling down. I think we can all learn a lot from people with disabilities.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    No doubt about that. The annual Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics is the biggest fundraiser in addition to being a great pick-me-up for those who witness it. An idea started in Kansas in 1981 and adopted here in 85, it is supported by over 450 officers who volunteer their time to carry the torch on its 700 mile trek.

Very cool video, didn't see that end coming.

srab is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Shoestring, a bunch of us participate in the Torch Run, and this year we're doing the Polar Bear plunge in Muskego. That's probably 1.5 hours drive from you. Our team name is Patyk's Heroes, on their website.

Stay Safe.
    "The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons"
    Russian military doctrine

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
    - Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

www.gruntsbbq.com

ida40dj is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    thanks for posting that. my son is autistic and loves it when he gets to go compete each year.
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by srab View Post
    Shoestring, a bunch of us participate in the Torch Run, and this year we're doing the Polar Bear plunge in Muskego. That's probably 1.5 hours drive from you. Our team name is Patyk's Heroes, on their website.

Stay Safe.
    I havent done that one yet, the one down here is a few days before I leave on my trip so I dont know if I will or will not yet.

I have volunteered a many events. The best one was a swim meet, I was in uniform handing out the metals. My uniform was completely soaked when finished because they like to hug when they are happy

Srab you ever work the softball throw at the State Games in Lacross in June? I couldnt this last year because my son was just born but I probably will be there this year

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Great surprise ending in the video! Good luck to your brother!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That is a great video, Shoestring!

I've been a volunteer with the Law Enforcement Torch Run segment of Special Olympics New Jersey for several years - at the Polar Bear Plunge (I do not plunge, I do other things ), the Games themselves, the Plane Pull, and the Lincoln Tunnel walk as well as other events throughout the year. There are a couple of NJ members here who have participated in some of those events as well.

Maclean is correct, law enforcement is a huge fundraising arm of the Special Olympics. The NJ group alone raised over 2 million dollars last year.

What sport does your brother compete in, Shoestring?

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I used to volunteer for the Equestrian events when I lived in Houston.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Awesome ending to the video. I was surprised, too. Good luck to your brother, Shoestring!
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    The Special Olympics is a great thing! Good luck to your little Brother, hope he does himself proud and of course the family too!

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Good luck to your younger brother................of course like most departments we also have a Torch Run every year.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I just had ta post this one....it's a truck convoy for gosh sakes!

YouTube - World's Largest Truck Convoy for Special Olympics

I'm startin ta feel home sick, dontcha no!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Oh S.O. is cool. My brother competes in a whole lot of stuff. He has competed in Track n Field, Basket Ball, Power Lifting, Bowling. Now he mainly just does bowling and power lifting.

He has a lot of metals, does well, then he likes to brag to his big brother of how awesome he is and that the chicks dig him He is a hoot!

Verified LEO
    Shoestring, I never did the softball throw. I'll make a point of it this year, and see if we can recruit some more guys for the trip. LaCrosse area is great. We started a small thing with the horses as well, the kids and adults love it. It's been hard to coordinate, but I hope we can get it set up again.

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"

www.gruntsbbq.com

Deputy Joe is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I organize the Cops vs. Athletes softball game each year with the local office. We play the Wisconsin state team. What a group of competitors. This last year we brought it to a field outside of Appleton and made a big deal out of it. It was on the nicest diamond I have seen. We had the press there and cops from about 10 different agencies. I can't wait for this year's game.

Verified LEO
    Joe, that's awesome.

www.gruntsbbq.com

Thread Information