Welcome to the APBWeb.
    SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

Personal Inspiration

Posted this on another board about a year ago. Thought I'd share it here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was asked by the state academy to assist with teaching a firearms instructor course for two weeks. No problem - I packed my bags and guns and went to the academy. There were 22 students (one female, 21 males) - and one guy standing off to the side. The staff introduced him to us - his name is Adam. A few months ago, he was involved in a shooting.

Adam was a reserve at a small department, and was slated to get on as a full-time officer for his department. He had been through the reserve academy, but had precious little training and experience.

One night a few months ago, he was out on patrol and tried to pull over a car for a violation. The vehicle ran for a short distance, then crashed into a ditch. Adam got out of the car to approach the vehicle, which was out of sight from the road. Backup was already on the way, and he didn't know if anyone was hurt.

As he approached, he saw someone running at him and ordered them to stop. He then saw a flash and heard a bang, and has trouble remembering the next few seconds. He had been shot in the face with a shotgun. He returned fire at the subject running toward him, thinking it was his assailant, then moved to cover behind his patrol car. His right eye was gone - and he was right handed/ right eye dominant.

While crouching down behind the car trying to get his wits about him, he was shot again - this time his assailant had shot him underneath his car (the BG was lower, and could see his legs under the car).

Adam knew that if this kept up, he would die. He got mad. He wiped the blood from his face so he could see with his one good eye, and he attacked. He caught the BG by surprise, and emptied his pistol at him, shooting him several times. The BG tried to run, but fell, discharging his own shotgun into his chest as he fell.

The cavalry arrived. Adam was life-flighted to a trauma center, where they removed his ruined right eye. They left most of the shot inside his head and legs, since it was too dangerous to remove it and/or it would heal on its own.

The person who was charging at Adam was the BG's girlfriend. She was killed in the gunfight between the two. It is unknown if she was helping her boyfriend by attacking/distracting, or if she was just trying to get away. The BG sufferred 5 gunshot wounds, including a chest shot and a severed femoral artery. Because of the cockroach theory, he lived. Of course.

So Adam's cheif, once he was able to function pretty well, asked the guys at the state academy if they could help get this guy back up to speed on his shooting. The director of firearms training said to send him, and we would get him squared away during the instructor class.

Adam showed up with a very can-do attitude. He has been pretty close to hanging with the class, who as a whole have adopted him. He never complains, and tries as hard or harder than anyone there. He is still right handed, but has no choice but to shoot long guns left-handed now.

Since Adam was struggling with his PD-issued shotgun (a 590, which is very long, and Adam is not a very tall guy), I let him try my 870 with a stock that was 2" shorter and some mods to make it easier (including the vang comp safety, which is much easier to reach - especially shooting lefty). He felt much more comfortable shooting it.

So, I had the idea to have the class buy him an 870 and set it up for his needs. Everyone chipped in money, and yesterday I bought the shotgun. I already put on the Speedfeed short pistol-grip stock, and I ordered the vang comp safety and trijicon ghost ring sights. We're going to give it to him next week as a gift from the class for what he has done, and the spirit he had shown for jumping right back onto the horse.

This kid (and he is very young) personifies the warrior spirit, and we wanted to show our appreciation for his work. This kid is a fighter. I can't describe it better than that. I hope he heals as well as he can, and continues a career in law enforcement. He is an inspiration to me and I wish him nothing but the best.

ETA: I had to leave this class early, as one of the officers at my department had been shot (fellow firearms instructor). He and two other officers killed the BG quickly. But because of that, I was not present when they gave Adam the shotgun. Sorry I missed it, but from what I heard, he became very emotional and appreciated the gesture. Wish I could have been there, but shit happens.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Incredible. Excellent post.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Thanks for sharing this. Hope he heals up well and has a great career.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Great story and post!
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    He is a good man....but you are the other good man in this story!!

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I hope Adam recovers well enough to work in Law Enforcement as long as he wants. The young man has got guts and guts is enough.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    That is awesome.
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Awesome job by that "kid"! And with minimal training to boot. Just goes to show that some people just have "IT". And this guy sure does! I do hope that he can continue his career in law enforcement for a long time. If nothing else, just to be an example to all his fellow officers.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    WOW! What an inspirational story for the rest of us. My hat is off to him and to you.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Another great story of mind over matter. I hope nothing gets in the way of this young man's great can-do attitude.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I remember this story from the other site. I always wondered how he reacted when he got it. Thanks for filling that in.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, wish I could been there, but our OIS while I was away just floored me and I had to go back to town. The last time I taught up at the academy it totally slipped my mind to ask how Adam was doing. Hoping to go back in the next few month, but breaking away seems problematic since I'm back in patrol again.

Thread Information