Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Petition

Magnum440 is offline Older Than Dirt
    Verified LEO

Petition

Here is something that should be of interest to everyone.

The video game "25 To Life" is due out in stores this month. The
    object of this game is to kill LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS. The National
    Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund is putting together an on-line
    petition to boycott this game.I am asking each of you to go to their
    web site and please sign the petition and pass along this info to your
    family and friends. http://nleomf.com
    Facta non verba
    "The good Lord set definite limits on man's wisdom, but set no limits on his stupidity and that's not fair!" Konrad Adenauer,

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum440
    Here is something that should be of interest to everyone.

The video game "25 To Life" is due out in stores this month. The
    object of this game is to kill LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS. The National
    Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund is putting together an on-line
    petition to boycott this game.I am asking each of you to go to their
    web site and please sign the petition and pass along this info to your
    family and friends. http://nleomf.com
    If people dont buy it, it will go away. Censorship is wrong.

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357
    If people dont buy it, it will go away. Censorship is wrong.

Isn't that the idea?

Magnum440 is offline Older Than Dirt
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewtx
    Isn't that the idea?

Yep
    Facta non verba
    "The good Lord set definite limits on man's wisdom, but set no limits on his stupidity and that's not fair!" Konrad Adenauer,

Bearcat06 Guest
    The game is already out and it sucks ass so I have been told.

I am pretty anti-censorship......and there are other games out there that you can kill Cops in....so I refuse to take part in the petition.....

Guess who else is on this bandwagon...? Hillary the Bitch and Chuckie Schumer.....enough said......

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

What censorship? A boycott isn't censorship.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    What censorship? A boycott isn't censorship.
    Technically it is. Because you are telling them that you will not stand for the words or actions in the game, videos and such. So in turn you are trying to censor what they can and can not do.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    Technically it is. Because you are telling them that you will not stand for the words or actions in the game, videos and such. So in turn you are trying to censor what they can and can not do.

Censorship implies a restriction of freedom of speech, expression, etc. Nowhere in that petition do I see it argued that the makers of the video game should not have the right to produce it. Both sides are exercising their freedom; one to make the game and the other to express their feelings towards it. A law that bans the game outright might be censorship, but this isn't.

Edited to add: I'm unclear if the petition organizers want the game legislatively controlled. I would disagree with them if they did. But as long as the effort is done without bringing the government into it, I don't think there's any censoring about it.
    Last edited by Andrewtx; 03-18-06 at 10:20 PM.

Bearcat06 Guest
    Edited to add: I'm unclear if the petition organizers want the game legislatively controlled. I would disagree with them if they did. But as long as the effort is done without bringing the government into it, I don't think there's any censoring about it.
    Not sure about the NLEFM folks.....but I know Hillary the Bitch wants games regulated.....even though there is already a ratings system in place.....

As I said before.....FUCK HER!!

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    It does not bother me at all. If you are that mental that a video game would "make you" go out and try to kill us, then you were most likely going to try it anyway.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    It does not bother me at all. If you are that mental that a video game would "make you" go out and try to kill us, then you were most likely going to try it anyway.
    Sorry to say Im buying this game!

gomets11 is offline mmmm Beer...
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    word

Censorship implies a restriction of freedom of speech, expression, etc. Nowhere in that petition do I see it argued that the makers of the video game should not have the right to produce it. Both sides are exercising their freedom; one to make the game and the other to express their feelings towards it. A law that bans the game outright might be censorship, but this isn't.

From what I have been reading they want the game removed from the market. They also want to redue the rating system that is already in place and try and keep these types of violent games off the market. Therefor in my opinion it is censorship.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Usually, all boycotts seem to do is give offensive games, music, TV shows, movies, etc free advertising.

As one ad executive once said, it doesn't matter whether the publicity is good or bad, either way it still translates into sales at the cash register. All a boycott does is alter the demographics of who buys the stuff.

Look how the ratings of objectional movies hit the roof when some preacher like Farwell opens his mouth about them and calls a boycot - then non-religous people flock in to see the thing just out of rebellion, and a lot of religous flock in out of curisoty.

Hell, I may even buy one now just to see what all the fuss is about!
    (not really)
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 03-19-06 at 03:23 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    If I am not mistaken you can also play the cops and KILL the CRIMINALS!!!! Now that is what I am talking about!!!!
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

FishTail Guest
    I'm with Glock40 on this. Anyone who plays this game then goes out to try to kill one of us was going to anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    I'm with Glock40 on this. Anyone who plays this game then goes out to try to kill one of us was going to anyway.
    Exactly the media in a whole is going to twist this just like the did Columbine. When they tried to blame Marlylin Manson and his music for making these kids do what they did. If the kids/adults are going to kill other people no matter the music, movies or video game they are going to do it either way. Simply put its all entertainment leave well enough alone is how I look at it. Plus if the gang bangers are inside playing this game, that means they are not on the street causing trouble .

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Let's see, 30 years ago, Dungeons and Dragons was going to make kids turn to violence and satan. 20 years ago, Max Headroom was going to make kids start stuttering. 15 years ago, music was leading kids to suicide and murder. 8 years ago, Harry Potter was going to make kids turn to satan and rebel against authority. Now video games are going to make people run out and kill others.

Something to remember, in both good times and bad... "This too shall pass."
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information