25 58.14%
  • am going to join up soon

0 0%
  • wished I would have

14 32.56%
  • Have no desire to ever serve

2 4.65%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO

Military service, do you have any?

I was thinking about the military and was curious how many O/R members have served, are serving, will serve, or want to serve in a branch of the US Military??

I have not and looking back I certainly wished I would have done so. I spoke with a recruiter when I was in high school (1977) and then chickened out. I spoke to them again in about 1982sh and didn't follow through. I started in law enforcement in 86 and met a highway patrol Sgt who tried to get me to join the National Guard, once again I did not do so.

In retrospect I made a big mistake in my life by not serving ouir country. Why?? because it would have been the right thing to do and the life long memories, experiences, and benefits could not be taken away.

So that is my story and I am stickin" to it..... if I wasn't 50yrs old I would sign up tommorow.

Lets hear yours.
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Hondo is offline SRO
    Verified LEO
    U.S. Army Reserves. 377th MP Company
    When it comes my time to go, I hope with fervent zeal, That my merits have been proved on life's battlefield. Enough to earn me One small place of rest, Just over on the other side, Beyond the reach of death. -Ralf Grant Edens

You know how it is Striet! Sometimes doin the right thing ain't doin the right thing -HONDO

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Although I am not as old as you, Al, my story is much the same as yours. When I first started feeling the desire to "serve my fellow man," I was 23 and working in TV. I decided to get out and pursue LE as a career...somewhere in the next 2 years it took me to get hired, i spoke with a Marine Corps recruiter. The reason I didn't join up was because I had just gotten married and I didn't think it was fair to my wife for her to marry the Bob Loblaw that wanted to work as a cop and then spring the New Bob Loblaw who was joining the Marines and inevitably going over seas. She also did not care much for the idea of not seeing me all the time and me having to go halfway around the globe. In retrospect, I really wish I would've joined after college...the guys I seem to look up to the most at work are the ones with military experience. I think it better prepares one for life. I would join the reserves or the National Guard, but I'm trying to get a government job that does not allow someone who is in the middle of a military commitment to be hired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Went in the Army in July '64 after flunking out of college. Gulf of Tonkin was Aug '64.

Served a couple of years as enlisted, applied and got OCS, went to Vietnam as a grunt 2nd Lt. Came back, had some meaningless assignments after that, was told I couldn't keep my commission if I stayed (too many company grade officers then) so I got out. After a couple of years, joined the Nat'l Guard as a XO of a HQ company on a try one basis. Got out after that year, scared me to death. The Guard then was full of draft dodgers. My biggest fear was they would be called to active duty. Very few of even the officers had any active duty time to speak of.

Wouldn't trade it for million dollars, wouldn't do it again for 10X that much.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Stalker263 is offline OPS SGT
    Verified LEO
    I served 9 years active duty, 6 years Alabama National Guard, 7 years Reserve, called back to Active Duty for 3 years, then 1 last year as a reserve. Retired July 2008 as 1SG. I would not trade those experiences for anything, it was the best times of my life!
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory!
    Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Nine years active duty (U.S. Army). Wish I never went to my last deployment, I could have retired instead of getting hurt.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    446 SFS, USAFR "War Pigs"

shortly to be

262 IWAS, USAFNG

I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    When I graduated high school, recruiters hounded me because of a high ASVAB score (then again, maybe they hounded everybody, but the score was high). I gave it some thought and I talked to my dad, a WW2 Navy Vet and long-time National Guard member. He did not encourage me to join or not join, he just helped me understand the pros and cons of service. On a side note dad ALWAYS was careful to not reccomend any major decision for me, he just helped me see all sides. I got it in my head that I would join any branch that would allow me to fly helicopters. I found that the only service that accepted non-comissioned pilots was the Army and the recruiter said I was too tall to fly (6'02"). I found out later that this was BS, it was just that slots were full. We have a Marine Corp Reserve unit (artillery or transportation, don't remember) here and I decided to go with that. Dad told me to do what I felt like I wanted to.
    Two of my brothers were former Marines and both did tours in Vietnam. One of them called me the night before I signed up and he discouraged me from joining. He said that it would change who I was and the way I thought forever, not in a good way, and that I could be called into active service for no reason. I believed him and backed out.
    Long story short is that because of the experience and benefits that many of my friends have now that they have retired from the Guard, I wish I had just joined the local MP unit here. I also wish I had taken a crew chief slot that was offered by the Army, then transitioned to WOC School and become a pilot that way.
    I never have talked to my brother about his call but thread got me thinking I might just call him and ask.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    For those of you who have served, we have our own section here called "The Barracks."

Go post!
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I served over 7 years in Ronald Reagan's 600 ship U.S. Navy 1982-89. Enjoyed most of it. Got to see a lot of the world, I wouldn't have seen otherwise. Do not regret one minute of my Naval career. The thing I loved most about the service was meeting and working with some of the finest people this country has to offer. Sorta of like Officer Resource........
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    4 years in the old Army Security Agency working for the NSA. Spent some fabulous time in Europe and the middle east.

Almost kicked it in 70 because I loved what I was doing and they wanted to send me to Japan....but my wife talked me out of it cause she wanted me to realize my dream of becoming a police officer.

The cop thing turned out ok but I know I would have enjoyed staying in as well.

Maclean and Michael (middle son) are both in.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    I wanted to join and tried...even got through all the MEPS crap. Unfortunately, they don't take Type I diabetics.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    For those of you who have served, we have our own section here called "The Barracks."

Go post!

I agree. I'm also prior military (Army).

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I am a civilian employee of the military (Army, Air Force) Does that count?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    3 years 3 months 13 days. It was a horrible experience. 31C with the National Guard. Worst mistake of my life. (this is strictly my own traveled road not a relation to the Guard in general no one need get pissy) Had I known then what I know now I would have gone Coast Guard.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

213th is offline Solipsist
    4.5 years USAFNG, all active duty title 10 (federal active duty) or title 32 (state active duty)

157th Security Forces Squadron (157th Air Refueling Wing)

213th SFF (213 Space Warning Squadron) yes, the entire base was only a squadron
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Verified LEO
    Double post, sorry

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Two of my brothers were former Marines and both did tours in Vietnam. One of them called me the night before I signed up and he discouraged me from joining. He said that it would change who I was and the way I thought forever, not in a good way
    If your brother was a Marine in Vietnam, I understand completely what he was talking about. I think I had it tough, but the Marines had it tougher. That's why I said I wouldn't trade the experience for a million bucks or do it again for 10X that much. I grew up pretty fast, but not all the changes in made in me were good.

Most of the time it's fine. Sometimes though, you think you'll never leave that fucking place. I would have told my little brother the same thing.

I was assigned to the 196th Light Infantry Brigade that was incorporated into the 23rd Infantry Americal Division just before I shipped out.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    I was assigned to the 196th Light Infantry Brigade that was incorporated into the 23rd Infantry Americal Division just before I shipped out.
    Now that is a storied brigade!

I find it interesting that you ended up in Oregon!
    I'm your huckleberry...

chewy is offline 1 CoastieRisk!!
    Verified LEO
    Served 6 years in the US Coast Guard and am kind of still serving but not military with US Customs.
    Grumpy bastard sick of it all!
    Guns Don't Kill People, Radical Pro-Lifers Kill People

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information