Welcome to the APBWeb.
    KaiGywer is online now *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO

Iraq turns personal for me

I don't know whether I agree with the war or not, but I do know I support the Troops that are there doing the dirty work. This war became personal for me on Thursday at 2PM, when over 4000 soldiers from many states (2600 Minnesota) were in Camp Shelby, MS having the send off ceremony. By the end of this month, these fine young men and women will be in Kuwait, and will arrive at their bases in Iraq by late April. My brother in law is one of these soldiers.

To follow the progress of the 1/34th Combat brigade, click here

Also present at the ceremony was KARE11 News

Just released in Minnesota before Christmas, were these special license plates, and I am thinking about getting one of these in place of my normal plate. It's only $30 on top of my tabs, and when you break that down, I pay 8.2 cents a day to support veterans' organizations in Minnesota. A small price to pay compared to what they have paid.

Others from Minnesota who wants a much nicer looking license plate, with a good cause, check this out
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

kateykakes Guest
    The whole thing actually became personal for me many years ago with Desert Storm. I had numerous pen pals that I kept in touch with while they served.

It got even more personal for me when my brother was sent over to Iraq. He served 8 months with the Marines there before coming home to the States. He hasn't been the same since.

To make things even worse, professional boxer, Philadelphia Police Officer and friend Gennaro Pelligrini was killed by a roadside bomb with only one month left to serve before he was to come home.

I have very mixed feelings about this war, but I DO support our troops 100%. Without them all freedom would be lost.

God bless them all and keep them safe.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My older brother and several friends were in Desert Shield / Desert Storm. My younger brother was over there this time around, as was my neice.

I'm with KateyKakes on this one. I have mixed feelings about the war, but not about our troops.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

chris2001 is offline Captain
    These wars are going to continue to get more and more personal. The bad thing about it all is that we have young men and women dying because our current president feels he needs to finish what his father started. Not to mention that enlistement is down.

I know that when I was at KU the ROTC guys were telling all the guys to make sure they had their selective service cards on them at all times. Let me tell you it got very real then.

All I really care about is that our soldiers come home safe and sound and damn quickly if you ask me. They need to be with their families not trying to protect an area that does not want to be free. An area that only wants to fight each other and put us in the middle.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by kateykakes
    I have very mixed feelings about this war, but I DO support our troops 100%. Without them all freedom would be lost.

God bless them all and keep them safe.
    Jeez, we need to see more of this type of attitude. I see way to many people that hate the troops because of the war. It upsets me.

I'm glad that not everyone hates the troops.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

mickey8 is offline Junior Member
    one of my best freinds and co owner of our hunting cabin did a tour in kuwait during desert storm and now is set to go back.

god speed to all on there way over and a safe return

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th
    Jeez, we need to see more of this type of attitude. I see way to many people that hate the troops because of the war. It upsets me.

I'm glad that not everyone hates the troops.

No kidding bro. Far to many people forget that these men and women of the armed forces are only following orders. Its not like they really want to be over their away from their families. They are over there because they were told to go over there. How can you hate someone or dislike them for following an order, if you have a problem with the war your beef is with the politicians not the soldiers.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    As I prepare to go over to Iraq in the latter part of June, it comforts me to know that despite the lack of support for the war there is support for the troops.

I served in Desert Storm, Somalia and Haiti while on active duty. In June the Michian Army National Guard is sending me back over. It became personal for me when Sgt. Craig Frank was killed on his last mission by and IED. The 1775th MP CO of the Michigan Army National Guard had been extended twice and he should have been home. I did have the privilidge to stand Honor Guard at his funeral.

Wish me luck, I'll keep in touch when I get there.!
    Last edited by Donut Aficionado; 04-03-06 at 01:38 PM.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    People say al-Qa'ida had no links with Iraq before the war - well they certainly do now. My counter-terror career ambitions make this personal for me. Half those IEDs are placed by al-Qa'ida, the other half by people trained by al-Qa'ida. We can't let that threat remain, but we can't half ass our response to it either. I hope it all gets cleaned up at some point, but unfortunately I feel as if the Muslim terrorist problem, because of their motivations, will never be solved.

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    I support the removal of Saddam from office. He is an evil man. I'm not a military expert but it seems obvious we are understaffed in Iraq. Rumsfeld goes on like a broken record "Everythings great!" when we know it's not. At this point a total withdrawal would be the worst possible scenario.

So far 12 officers from my department have served in Iraq & Afganistan. Only one was wounded when a grenade was tossed in his vehicle in Kabul. He has recovered well enough to work. Its nasty business over there.

Roses is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut Aficionado
    As I prepare to go over to Iraq in the latter part of June,
    Wish me luck, I'll keep in touch when I get there.!
    Best of luck to you and I'll keep you in my prayers.
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

I grew up a military kid and watched my military family, go off on various campaigns to fight that scary word "war" around the world. For those that can stand up and say they don't support the troops, need to be thrown in that situation for 10 secs, our soliders are just like me and you, doing a job. They aren't emotionless killing machines, and they have agreed to set forth an amazing sacrafice, if you say you are unsupportive of that then get the hell out of our country.

KaiGywer is online now *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Post#83Chief
    I grew up a military kid...
    You grew up? Hahahah

Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Cris1102 Guest
    Good luck Donut and may God bless you and your family.

Thread Information