Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Cheech Guest

I just put down for going skydiving.

Fuck , April 22 im jumping out of a perfectly good airplane! Im scared as shit.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasvegasog
    Fuck , April 22 im jumping out of a perfectly good airplane! Im scared as shit.
    Just remember that its not the fall that hurts its that sudden stop at the end .
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I did that a few times in my younger days, and it was the biggest rush I've ever gotten! When you go out of the plane the first time, it will be the scariest thing you'll ever do, but once the chute opens, it's fantastic. After the first time, you know what to expect, so while it's still a rush, the sheer panic is gone. Have a ball!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Cheech Guest
    I know ill piss myself

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Don't do it!!!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    This might be part of a sophisticated INS operation. They'll take a bunch of folks up, push all of them out over Nevada. He'll start to head for the door, and they'll be like "oh not yet, there are too many chutes open. Wait just a few minutes." Then, they'll quietly pass into Mexican airspace. Then LVOG will get the green light to jump.

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    I just can't see jumping out of a perfectly airworthy aircraft.

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    I jumped on my 18th birthday, it was one of the best things I ever did. You might be surprised and not be as scared as you anticipate. I kept waiting to start feeling really nervous when I went, but it never came. I just had the time of my life.

Since it's your first time, it's definitely worth paying for the video and photos, too. It's a fun thing to relive when you're feelin down.

Have fun!!!

Ken K is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    Don't do it!!!
    He may be kidding but I am not.

We all have those isolated horror stories but a friend of my dived a bunch. Then he got caught in a slight wind sheer and went into a small tree. I saw the video he had from his helmet cam. Leaves and junk flying all over the place.

Broke his leg in 5 places, and now walks with a permanent limp.

You want to be LEO, why risk a career ending injury before your career starts? Just a thought.

Indy Guest
    You're nuts. There is no way in hell I'd ever jump out of an airplane. If something goes wrong, you are SCREWED!

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Don't listen to the SISSIES! If you don't do it, you'll be missing one of the greatest thrills you'll ever experiance. Your chances of being injured or killed are very minimal. You stand a better chance of being hit by a car or slipping in your own bathtub and getting hurt. (Not only that, if the chute doesn't open, you have less than 30 seconds to impact to think about it!)
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by keith758
    Don't listen to the SISSIES! If you don't do it, you'll be missing one of the greatest thrills you'll ever experiance. Your chances of being injured or killed are very minimal. You stand a better chance of being hit by a car or slipping in your own bathtub and getting hurt. (Not only that, if the chute doesn't open, you have less than 30 seconds to impact to think about it!)

Skydiving is dangerous, but if you're jumping with a USPA certified instructor, which you should be, then many precautions are taken that reduce your risk of injury. That said, it's obviously an inherently dangerous thing and you have to weigh the risks appropriately just like anything else. Most skydiving accidents involve judgements made by skydivers themselves, not by equipment failure. I weighed the risk and decided that it didn't outweigh the wonder of the experience. I can tell you now that I absolutely calculated correctly!

I don't really know that I should leave my home anymore; the number of times I've almost been killed crossing some the streets in this city aren't really worth the risk.

Ken K is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by keith758
    I love these arguments. Yes you probably stand a better chance of being hurt in an auto accident than skydiving one time. But we all "need" to drive cars in our society, not take an unnecessary chance by jumping out of a plane.

Based on this I'll just go walk on a railroad track because the odds of being hit by a train are slim too.

Become an LEO and then jump.

Sorry Keith but I don't buy into the stats thing very much. But lasvegasog, let me know how much fun it was!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Yeah, and get the extra disability insurance

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken K
    I love these arguments. Yes you probably stand a better chance of being hurt in an auto accident than skydiving one time. But we all "need" to drive cars in our society, not take an unnecessary chance by jumping out of a plane.

Based on this I'll just go walk on a railroad track because the odds of being hit by a train are slim too.
    Not to mention slipping and hurting yourself in the tub isn't typically going to kill you. And your chances of getting in a car accident may be higher, but again, you're generally not going to die from it. If people sky dived as much as they drove cars, I'm sure the rate of death would be higher skydiving. Like it's already been said, if you're sky diving and something goes wrong, what then? There is no "backup plan." If you're driving a car and rear end someone, the vast majority of the time you walk away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    Not to mention slipping and hurting yourself in the tub isn't typically going to kill you. And your chances of getting in a car accident may be higher, but again, you're generally not going to die from it. If people sky dived as much as they drove cars, I'm sure the rate of death would be higher skydiving. Like it's already been said, if you're sky diving and something goes wrong, what then? There is no "backup plan." If you're driving a car and rear end someone, the vast majority of the time you walk away from it.

Actually your implication is entirely false. The vast, vast majority of skydiving incidents result in injury, not death.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Damn I have had nightmares about mexicans falling from the sky and no its going to happen. Its the NAFTA aerial attack
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewtx
    Actually your implication is entirely false. The vast, vast majority of skydiving incidents result in injury, not death.
    No, it's not false. It's a matter of percentages. If someone was skydiving to work several times a day, even if the % remained the same as what it is, I would highly doubt it would actually be safer than driving a car. I'm not "implying" anything. It was a statement. It's my opinion & I'm stickin to it whether you agree or not.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wcso234
    Damn I have had nightmares about mexicans falling from the sky and no its going to happen. Its the NAFTA aerial attack
    Could be like that scene from con air. LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information