Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: 1st practical.

  1. #1
    Cheech Guest

    1st practical.

    Pretty exciting stuff. I was nervous to do something in mine. Two "arabic" men in a park yelling loudly at each other both wearing thick jackets. Im dispatched to the scene. As I get there I try and break up the two people I notice they speak english. ( they are both my tac officers too ) I start tryin to calm them down when I noticed a handgun in the waist band of one of the men. I did 4 practicals before this, also before the practicals we did a inspection arms, So I put two and two together. Well I was scared shitless. I then said F it! I unholstered my weapon stepped back and said " I see the weapon if you reach for it I will shoot!" ( now I just pointed a real gun at my tac officer , Im thinking Im going to get killed !!!!!!! ) THen he gets out of role and Says CHEECH!!!! WHY ARE YOU POINTING A GUN AT ME!!!! NO ONE ELSE DID THAT WHY ARE YOU POINTING A GUN AT ME!!!! I quickly reholstered my weapon and then they looked at and asked again I quickly answered what the correct thing to do was and he told me to unholster and never keep my sight off them until the threat is eliminated!!! I felt like a badass in front of the class. Pretty scary pointing guns at tac staff!!

  2. #2
    Darin's Avatar
    Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Mid Atlantic area
    Posts
    1,083
    Rep Power
    2186973
    We used "red guns" in our practicals. I don't think I'd ever let academy recruits doing a practical witha real working weapon. The unforseen can happen.


    But good job on getting thru the practicals. They can be stressful.

  3. #3
    Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin
    We used "red guns" in our practicals. I don't think I'd ever let academy recruits doing a practical witha real working weapon. The unforseen can happen.


    But good job on getting thru the practicals. They can be stressful.
    Yea thats what was going through my mind too. But everyone has thier own different weapon and not everyone will have the right holster for a red gun. IM amazed that they trust us like that.


    On a side note though I do wanna say they are very knowledgable and I think they do a awesome job on teaching us what they know.

  4. #4
    cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    Somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    1,911
    Rep Power
    5562976
    I can't believe they let you use a real weapon on practicals. We used a fake one tucked into our waistband... Seriously.... I almost felt like pulling it sidways and yelling "FREEEEEZE MOTHER FUCKER!!!"

  5. #5
    Virginian's Avatar
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Join Date
    12-28-05
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,647
    Rep Power
    8590746
    We used our real guns, and it never felt right to point it at someone you weren't planning on really shooting, especially after just having come from the range days before where it's stressed that you DO NOT point your weapon at anyone. You'd think with all the stories in the news of people being shot in training accidents they'd think more about it.

  6. #6
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin
    I don't think I'd ever let academy recruits doing a practical witha real working weapon. The unforseen can happen..
    HELL NO, that's extremely stupid!!! I hope the LEO's that taught that didn't/don't teach firearms.

  7. #7
    Virginian's Avatar
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Join Date
    12-28-05
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,647
    Rep Power
    8590746
    I would think you'd at least remove the barrel or something that would prevent it from functioning while still allowing it to be holstered.

  8. #8
    Darin's Avatar
    Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Mid Atlantic area
    Posts
    1,083
    Rep Power
    2186973
    That's why they make red guns. My academy had all the different makes of red guns.

  9. #9
    lcsodre108's Avatar
    lcsodre108 is offline DUI Persecutor
    Join Date
    03-01-06
    Location
    Ward AR
    Posts
    313
    Rep Power
    87917
    I can't believe you used real guns. When I was at the academy our firearms instructor almost shot an officer. We were at the range, in an L formation, talking about point shooting, and how to draw. Well we had all double checked our weapons, but when the Range Master of all people, drew and pulled the trigger on his Glock 22 it went off. He had not checked his weapon, and fired a Golden Sabre that passed between 2 students, went through the range house, and ended up god knows where. All he could do was stare, and say "oh My God". Scared the shit out of everyone, especially when we looked at the bullet hole and it was at forehead height.
    www.alliedoddballs.com
    I can't do this test when I am sober!

    Respect My AUTHORITAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lcsodre108
    I can't believe you used real guns. When I was at the academy our firearms instructor almost shot an officer. We were at the range, in an L formation, talking about point shooting, and how to draw. Well we had all double checked our weapons, but when the Range Master of all people, drew and pulled the trigger on his Glock 22 it went off. He had not checked his weapon, and fired a Golden Sabre that passed between 2 students, went through the range house, and ended up god knows where. All he could do was stare, and say "oh My God". Scared the shit out of everyone, especially when we looked at the bullet hole and it was at forehead height.
    SHit thats bad man. Im just hoping everyone has the same mentality as me of not wanting to keep it loaded!

  11. #11
    BrokenOne's Avatar
    BrokenOne is offline The one and only
    Join Date
    01-13-06
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    274112
    I think the reasoning behind using real guns, is the same mentality as other things. Practice like you are going to do in the field. One station taught that you double tap and reholster. you always only shot 2 shots and reholsterd. Well when one of them got into a shootout they shot twice and reholsterd while the other person kept shooting. Although you should never point a weapon at anyone. Checking physically and visually twice yourself and then do a buddy check and have the instructor check you are able to do it safely. Some of the instances where a recruit was shot *during weapons instruction* was when they were loading dummy rounds into the weapon or things like that.

  12. #12
    Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NVHPD
    I think the reasoning behind using real guns, is the same mentality as other things. Practice like you are going to do in the field. One station taught that you double tap and reholster. you always only shot 2 shots and reholsterd. Well when one of them got into a shootout they shot twice and reholsterd while the other person kept shooting. Although you should never point a weapon at anyone. Checking physically and visually twice yourself and then do a buddy check and have the instructor check you are able to do it safely. Some of the instances where a recruit was shot *during weapons instruction* was when they were loading dummy rounds into the weapon or things like that.
    If it isnt miss. NVHPD herself! bout time you showed your purty mouth round here

  13. #13
    Cheech Guest
    Hey did you use red guns in yours?

  14. #14
    BrokenOne's Avatar
    BrokenOne is offline The one and only
    Join Date
    01-13-06
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    274112
    Red guns HA.... hell no. The only time we used red guns were when we were doing gun disarming from one another.

  15. #15
    Cheech Guest
    Must be a Nevada thing

  16. #16
    Virginian's Avatar
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Join Date
    12-28-05
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,647
    Rep Power
    8590746
    Quote Originally Posted by NVHPD
    Red guns HA.... hell no. The only time we used red guns were when we were doing gun disarming from one another.
    Yeah same here. It wasn't that we didn't have them, just they were only used when the gun was going to go flying across the room. We checked and triple checked our weapons, never seated a magazine, never carried ammunition outside of the range. Still an uneasy feeling.

  17. #17
    Darin's Avatar
    Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Mid Atlantic area
    Posts
    1,083
    Rep Power
    2186973
    I'd rather not tempt Murphy...


    At my academy real weapons weren't allowed. The only time we had them was at formal inspection after firearms week. And ya know....we had one dumbass who had a live round chambered during formal inspection.

  18. #18
    Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin
    I'd rather not tempt Murphy...


    At my academy real weapons weren't allowed. The only time we had them was at formal inspection after firearms week. And ya know....we had one dumbass who had a live round chambered during formal inspection.
    Can I ask why?!?

  19. #19
    Darin's Avatar
    Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Mid Atlantic area
    Posts
    1,083
    Rep Power
    2186973
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasvegasog
    Can I ask why?!?
    Why what?

  20. #20
    Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin
    Why what?
    Would someone have one in tha chamber!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •