Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

The Gun Control Madness starts

Here we go. What a load of crap!!!

Oakland officers' slayings reignite gun control debate - Inside Bay Area

By Josh Richman
    Oakland Tribune
    Posted: 03/23/2009 07:39:01 PM PDT
    Updated: 03/24/2009 07:47:35 AM PDT

Related

* Mar 24:
    * Fourth Oakland officer taken off life support
    * Mar 23:
    * Parolee stood over stricken police officers and fired again
    * Mar 22:
    * Shooter of officers was person of interest in 2007 homicide
    * Cop shooter was frustrated with parole system, was person of interest in 2007 homicide
    * Editorial: Oakland officers embodied courage and bravery
    * Oakland police shooting: The mourning after
    * Mar 21:
    * Devastated police force, weary city grapple with tragedy, unite in grief
    * Three police sergeants dead, suspect killed in East Oakland gunbattles

The slayings of four Oakland police officers by a felon with an assault weapon and a semi-automatic handgun Saturday seems to be reigniting the gun-control debate.

California has what many call the nation's most stringent assault-weapon ban, as well as other laws that prohibited Lovelle Mixon from possessing the guns he used to kill four officers and wound a fifth. Former state Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata, D-Oakland who in 1999 expanded the state's ban from a list of specific makes and models to any semi-automatic rifles and pistols with certain characteristics said Monday the weekend's carnage underscores the need to reinstate and expand a federal ban.

"It's still far too easy to import weapons into the state of California," he said. "You would think that now, perhaps with this kind of incident, and with a very strong majority of Democrats in both chambers of Congress and an urban president from Chicago, maybe there's an opportunity to pass a characteristic ban nationally, which I think would be the most important thing we could do."

But Chuck Michel, a civil rights attorney representing the California Rifle and Pistol Association, said such talk is "political opportunism at its worst," in furtherance of flawed public policy.

"That this criminal who was prohibited from having guns at all was able to get whatever rifle he had "... is a monument to the failure of gun-control laws," Michel said. "There's at least
    Advertisement
    ARALifestyle.com
    Credit Checks that Could Hurt You
    With the economy taking a roller coaster ride and investors... Read More.
    More Articles

* What You Should Know about Reverse Mortgages
    * The Secret to Getting Highly Discounted Cruise Tickets
    * How to Reduce Credit Card Debt by 70 Percent
    * $2 Million in Scholarships for Working Parents Going Back to School

Advertising provided by: ARALifestyle.com
    a half a dozen laws I can think of "... that this guy (Mixon) broke. So Don Perata's solution is let's throw another law on top of the pile and call it a day? The legacy of California's assault weapons law is inadvertent violations and no effect on crime."

Besides California's assault-weapons ban, state law prohibits anyone with a felony conviction from owning and possessing a firearm; violating this law is itself a felony, punishable by 16, 24 or 36 months in state prison.

A federal assault-weapons ban was enacted in 1994, barring sale to civilians of certain semi-automatic firearms. It expired in September 2004, and efforts to revive it have failed. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder last month repeated the Obama administration's hope to reinstate the ban, but 65 House Democrats on Wednesday wrote to Holder saying they would oppose such an effort.

U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., co-authored the 1994 ban and has said she'll carry legislation to bring it back in some form. "She is working on a bill but right now is a time for mourning," Feinstein spokesman Gil Duran said Monday.

Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Oakland, said on the House floor Monday that the tragedy should force Congress to "re-examine how we are addressing the ongoing violence that plagues our communities," in part by renewing efforts "to ban the sale of military-style assault weapons in this country. It's hard enough being a cop in this country, without the added pressure of knowing that there could be assault rifles embedded throughout our communities.

"We cannot bring back these brave men, but through the examples of their deaths, we can work to put in place policies that will make our communities safer for not only the people who live there, but also the people who serve those communities," Lee said.

But Michel said California's assault-weapon ban has been in place for almost 20 years, "so obviously that didn't work. As we keep passing laws to make us feel good and give us a false sense of security, we're really not addressing some of the underlying problems that gangs and drugs and violent felon criminals present society. Politicians can pass things that get their names in the papers, but in the meantime, the scene on the streets that police officers face doesn't change."

"The bottom line is: You can ban all the guns you want but the bans don't work, and even if they stopped someone from getting one type of a gun, the bad guy will get a different type of gun," he said. "Any firearm in the wrong hands is a powerful weapon and I want to do anything we can to keep these out of the hands of criminals. There are already laws on the books to prevent that, and now we have to enforce them"
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Classic. A libtard could care less that cops died or that the VAST majority of cops in our nation are pro-gun. They'd step on dead bodies to get their legislation through.

In the end, it could spell their demise.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, like this moron would have bought his gun at a dealer anyway.

Other than some domestic cases, I can't recall hardly any cases where the killer didn't buy the gun on the street.....
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Did California's 'stringent' gun-control laws work in this incident?

Does this lead us to believe that 'more stringent' laws (banning more firearms) would?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Gabber is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post

Does this lead us to believe that 'more stringent' laws (banning more firearms) would?
    Of course those stringent laws don't work if the neighbouring states don't have similar stringent laws. And I think there are so many weapons circulating in the USt hat even then it would not work for a long time.
    It could only work if ownership of guns would be registrated and from what I read on this forum very few gun owners would be willing to accept that.

Verified LEO
    Gabber:

We don't register guns. Hence, we have not been invaded in war since 1812. We believe in maker given rights. We believe in the right to use what is necessary to defend our lives, our families, homes and homeland.

Unlike like your nation.

Gabber is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Gabber:

We don't register guns. Hence, we have not been invaded in war since 1812. We believe in maker given rights. We believe in the right to use what is necessary to defend our lives, our families, homes and homeland.

Unlike like your nation.
    And you pay the price. Your cops are outgunned and killed, you have about 5x more murders and I suppose there will be a few shooting accidents too.
    Oh, and we were invaded but the location and size of my country is a little different from yours. I don't think the german panzers would have been stopped with a rifle or a pistol and it was a bit far for the Japanese and the Germans to invade you.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabber View Post
    And you pay the price. Your cops are outgunned and killed, you have about 5x more murders and I suppose there will be a few shooting accidents too.
    Oh, and we were invaded but the location and size of my country is a little different from yours. I don't think the german panzers would have been stopped with a rifle or a pistol and it was a bit far for the Japanese and the Germans to invade you.
    You watch too much TV or Hollywood movies, and don't read enough history.

Violence doesn't come from guns, and it never has. Canada has twice the guns per capita and less violence.

I'm better armed on duty than 99% of any criminals I've ever encountered - and so are most of my brothers and sisters across the United States.

As for countries being invaded, it is interesting that you choose WWII as an example. I'll leave you with a quote:

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

As to your ridiculous assertion that invasion by Germans would not be stopped by rifles, you have only to look to your neighbors the Finns, and Google up the name Simo Häyhä. I don't want a few facts to get in the way of all this chest thumping though, so read with caution lest your preconceived notions be challenged. I'm guessing the Russians would take issue.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Now, onto other administrative matters. Gabber, please go to the introductions thread and introduce yourself before you land in a forum with both feet. Your profile indicates you work in law enforcement of some type. Please explain in your introduction, and message your verification information to Pudge113 or countybear immediately.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Captain America is online now Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    How about a ban on probation and parole for violent crimes instead? What good are stricter gun laws going to do if those arrested on the new laws are walking the streets ? Am I the only one that feels that this is a lot like a dog chasing his tail. We're going round and around in a circle and we're not getting anywhere.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ah, we have a new friend and admirer, Gabber.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabber
    Of course those stringent laws don't work if the neighbouring states don't have similar stringent laws. And I think there are so many weapons circulating in the USt hat even then it would not work for a long time.
    Well, welcome to the forums, Gabber. Please take a moment to observe generally-accepted forum edicate and introduce yourself to us in the section provided.

Regarding this post:
    The point you seemingly missed (completely) was that the individual instigating the aggression in this incident was already illegally in possession of a firearm, thus disregarding totally the laws currently existing both in the community, (State) where the incident occurred, and in the United States as a whole. Enacting more laws does not make something more illegal. Only stiffening the penalties, ensuring that those penalties are indeed applied, and improving the effectiveness of the enforcement of those laws can truly make a difference in real world application.

It could only work if ownership of guns would be registrated and from what I read on this forum very few gun owners would be willing to accept that.
    Weapon registration is an excersize in futility. While making specific weapons more traceable, such will not reasonably impact the availability of weapons to the criminal. Again, a registration requirement is only yet another law to be ignored by those who ignore laws anyway.

Firstly, you have landed (somehow) on a law enforcement forum site. Spouting off about cops being "outgunned and killed" is rather crass, especially coming from a new guest that we haven't even had the courtesy of being introduced to, but given a slight language and sociological barrier which must exist, I'll continue without much deeper commentary on that particular matter.

You should well quantify your quotation of statistics, rather than dropping 'drive-by' citations like that. The U.S.'s latest murder rate per 100,000 people is 5.6, granted, however some of your own 'stringently gun-less' neighbors (particularly bordering to your East), far outdo the U.S. statistics on a year-by-year basis. I'll grant you that the Netherlands individual statistic is very low (0.97 by last figures), but Europe as a whole only trails the U.S. overall statistic by 1.1. Watch closely, as I include my references:

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wouldn't consider the Netherlands 'a bastien of lawfulness', either though, especially given the social norms which that society is now coming to realize are erosively destructive. Your permissive government has expanded notably on areas where most of the world's governments have ruled certain behaviors impermissible, and the effect, while certainly may have a direct impact upon crime rates in your society (through less things being criminal, or the passification of the masses through creative chemistry), I fail to see where in other areas your nation shares many more 'triumphant' successes.

Invasion of the U.S. was certainly a consideration by Axis powers during World War II, however it was considered more a problem of the pervasively armed citizenship than one of logistics alone. I found our American history more an indication of the richness of the liberties that we've experienced, especially given that the U.S. has more effectively maintained its own sovereignty and freedom for a longer time than the Netherlands has. I'm truly glad that we can settle our conflicts in less than 80 years.

A single rife or pistol might very well not be effective against a rolling tank, but on the grand scale of reality, millions of armed people defending their lives and homes certainly have the distinct advantage over any mobilized army that can be mustered. History has taught us that, as well. Perhaps someone living in a country once occupied by the French might not find that noteworthy.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It is like clubbing baby seals sometimes.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    I'll wager a cup of Pike Roast at Bucks that Grabber isn't a cop.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    We can't even ensure that cars are properly registered 100% of the time, let alone something that can be hidden in the glove box of a car. Registration would only be a burden on the innocent and law abiding, and I would like to encourage gun ownership in that crowd.

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, there are indeed a lot of guns in America. But the fact remains, no amount of gun laws are going to stop criminals from using guns. Even in your country. It seems you have stringent laws concerning guns and yet, the criminals don't heed them. It also seems that the criminals over your way who do no use guns have simply decided to use other tools. I believe the stats show your violent "crimes against people" rate is higher than ours. Also it appears your "property crime" rates are way up there also.

So what you have done is take away the means of self defense that a vunerable person can use and basically turned them into a victim. The national mindset of many Americans is not of of victimhood. It's not part of our culture.

You guys do that over there, right? Again I'm amazed at the lack of crime you now enjoy.

The bottom line is that it's your country- do what you wish. The other part of the bottom line is that when you are doing something that doesn't work, don't come to another country and criticize their methods.

Other than that, welcome to the forum.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    I'll wager a cup of Pike Roast at Bucks that Grabber isn't a cop.
    Safe bet
    I'm your huckleberry...

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Ironic that they will use the death of four cops to further their anti-gun rhetoric when the very people they are trying to use to put through their ideas are the very ones who would argue against it.

A wee bit of grandstanding under the wrong tree
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Verified LEO
    Did we scare away the Euro-PEON?

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post

CB- that is my point exactly:

http://officerresource.com/forums/f1...nt-work-34768/

"Stupid should hurt."

Gabber is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    You watch too much TV or Hollywood movies, and don't read enough history.

Violence doesn't come from guns, and it never has. Canada has twice the guns per capita and less violence.
    So you tell me that the voilence comes from the people who live there.

As for countries being invaded, it is interesting that you choose WWII as an example. I'll leave you with a quote:
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    nice quote bur invading a big country, far away from your own country takes more troops and logistics than the japanese had

As to your ridiculous assertion that invasion by Germans would not be stopped by rifles, you have only to look to your neighbors the Finns, and Google up the name Simo Häyhä. I don't want a few facts to get in the way of all this chest thumping though, so read with caution lest your preconceived notions be challenged. I'm guessing the Russians would take issue.
    We are a densely populated small country. Finland is a lot bigger and the border area between Finland and Russia was almost empty with hardly any people living there.
    Hardly situations to compare with each other.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information