Welcome to the APBWeb.
    SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

I'm an idiot: stories from SPD, part 3 - "fun with grenades"

This was from awhile back when I was first on patrol. And I was an even bigger idiot back then because I was fresh out of the Marine Corps, knew everything, and was indestructable. You know that guy. You've all met him. Well - that was me.

One beautiful day, I was out patrolling our fine city and I hear a call of a found grenade. Usually these are the hollow things you find at the gun show and are nothing. But this was a bit different. Some landlord was cleaning out a duplex of a guy that hauled ass, and found a what looked like a grenade to him. My supervisor knew I was a jarhead, so he called me by. Well whataya know. An M203 grenade in the closet. Cool.

I picked it up to see what it was, and no markings on it. The LT wanted to call in the EOD guys from Lawton (on the other side of the state). I told them I'd just take the thing out to the range and shoot it, since it was probably just a flare or intert training round. I mean, noone would walk out of a 203 shoot with any type of HE round or anything, right?

So I throw the thing in the console of my patrol car, and head out to the range (which is about 10 miles outside of town near a lake the city owns). I figure I'll just set it on one of the railroad ties that protect our turning target bases, and shoot it in the primer at 50 yards with the AR. I'm a sniper and a good shot and all - not problem. What could go wrong?

I go bouncing down the road with this 203 round under my arm and get to the range. I park the car a ways back and go set up the round facing away from me (that seems important and all). I go back to the 50, line up the shot and. . . .

bang . . . .BOOM - BOOM.

Please, God, no. That did not just happen.

But apparently I have angered our lord at some point in my life, and yes it just did.

Holy shit. It seemed like every bit of grass on the impact berm is on fire (oh . . . . it's summer, hot, and hasn't rained in months). I didn't take into account that dry grass just might be flamable. And I'm out there alone, and it seems like the whole range is going to burn down. I'm well and truly fucked now, since the FD ain't gonna get there quick and I sure as shit can't blame this on anyone else.

I think I actually ripped the trunk off my car to get to the fire extinguisher - and miracle of miracles, there are two of them. I go play hero, and try my best to put out the fire. The little piss-ant extinguishers get about 1/3 of it out. I go get the blanket out of the trunk. I throw it on the grass and go to stomping. Just a little bit of fire left. I go get cardboard backers from our targets, and start smothering flames with those - and that shit actually worked. The last bits of flame I just stomped out with my matterhorn boots. I fried the laces, and was just covered in black soot. A very nice portion of the berm was a beautiful black - contrasting nicely with the green and brown grass around it. But hey - the city parks and rec guys wouldn't have to weed-eat that spot for a few months. The blanket I used was a melted lump.

I waited around long enough to make sure it wasn't going to restart, and hauled ass off the range. On the way back, I tell dispatch I'm back in service. My Sgt sends me an MDT message asking if it went OK. I told him just fine. Oh - and I need a new fire extinguisher and blanket. Don't ask. Meet me in supply. And I had nothing to do with the range burning down if anyone asks.

Lucky for me, he just thought it was funny as hell, and it didn't go any further. But when anyone finds any kind of grenades, it's pretty well understood that I don't get to go anywhere near it.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Too bad you didn't have video

So far for the launchers the chief has caught each time I've marked HE on the order list
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    SPD....your'e my kinda guy. What fun would life be if you couldn't blow shit up every once in a while.

If I had been caught for even half the crap I pulled, I would have been in jail.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Too bad you didn't have video

No video - sorry. I do have on video (VHS of course)
    -me getting shot with a stinger round from a 12 ga (the little rubber balls)
    -me getting shot with a pepperball
    -me getting a sting-ball grenade blown up next to me
    -me getting gassed with CS in our range house
    -me getting a close-up vid of a bang going off in this tiny little room (just for fun)

I always voluteered to get shot with new less lethal stuff. It always hurts, but you get over it quick.

They can go pund sand if they want to shoot me with the taser. Electricity scares me.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I aways look forward to these stories.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    You were so lucky that you didn't get hurt!!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Your guardian angel must get a lot of overtime!

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    I aways look forward to these stories.
    +1000
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    You every decide to get out of law enforcement , apply for a position as a crash test dummy, you have the experience. I'll let you know when Buster from Mythbusters retires.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    You every decide to get out of law enforcement , apply for a position as a crash test dummy, you have the experience. I'll let you know when Buster from Mythbusters retires.
    You could always hang out with Vince and Larry, the incredible crash test dummies.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

copboy is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Mythbusters would be a perfect fit for him. They have on several occasions set a number of rangers on fire. Here recently they blew up something big and shattered a bunch of windows in some small town.

mg32 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    LOL. I do know that guy you are talking about. If you ever feel the need to blow more stuff up please get video. I also agree about the less lethal. Impact munitions and gass are fine. Tasers are no bueno.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'm so, so sorry I missed this one before.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

GASheepdog is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I just read this one and had to go back and read the first two. Great stories SPD. Keep em' comin'.
    Be kind, be courteous . . .

and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    It's just about time for a new one.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think I know this guy.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    It's just about time for a new one.
    I'll see what I can do tonight . . . . have an idea boucing around in my head, but the story is short.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by SPD View Post
    I'll see what I can do tonight . . . . have an idea boucing around in my head, but the story is short.
    SPD, as everyone knows - it's quality that's more important than quantity.

We'll look forward to the next chapter!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    SPD, as everyone knows - it's quality that's more important than quantity.

We'll look forward to the next chapter!
    The only problem with SPD writing another chapter is that he may have to be doing it from a hospital bed.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Thread Information