Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

SELF DEFENSE THE SHOOTER AND THE SHERIFF

The following is an article about an individual robbing/trying to rob a AA Meeting.. Now, we all know how police administrators HATE guns and do all they can to deny the citizen the right to carry. After the article about the robber, read the Sheriffs response.

THE ROBBERY

Columbia (WLTX) - A New Jersey man has been shot and killed at an Alcoholics Anonymous center in South Carolina in what police say was a thwarted robbery.
    The State newspaper reported that Columbia police said Sunday that a visitor to the AA center shot and killed the 18-year-old man who was trying to rob members there.
    Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said Kayson Helms of Edison, N.J., was shot in the neck, abdomen and chest.
    Columbia Police say Helms walked into the meeting at 2015 College Street, the Acoa Club, at 11 p.m. Saturday night with a gun and demanded whatever those at the center had and was shot.
    Helms was taken to Palmetto Richland where he later died.
    Police did not identify the man who shot Helms, but said the individual had a concealed weapons permit.
    So far, no charges have been filed.

THE SHERIFF

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - It is a story bound to re-ignite debate about concealed weapons permits in the Palmetto State. On Saturday night, police say a man was shot and killed when he tried to rob people at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.
    For the second time in two months, law enforcement says the response is appropriate.
    "We've got a violent society. Times have changed. It's not the 60s and the 70s, when you didn't have people with guns. You have bad guys now and they all have guns. They're committing more serious crimes against people. So I think the fact that we've got law enforcement being assisted by citizens who are properly trained and armed, are helping us out," said Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott.
    Saturday's fatal shooting of an 18-year-old armed robbery suspect in Five Points follows last month's retaliation by an Irmo pizza deliveryman.
    In that incident, investigators say the victim had been physically assaulted before he pulled out a gun and killed his attacker.
    In both cases, the men who fired back had valid concealed weapons permits.
    State Law Enforcement Division figures show steady increases in the number of South Carolinians applying for and receiving those permits.
    The latest figures from the SLED show nearly 79,000 people statewide now have active concealed weapons permits.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    The following is an article about an individual robbing/trying to rob a AA Meeting.. Now, we all know how police administrators HATE guns and do all they can to deny the citizen the right to carry.
    As a member of the exalted society, I concur Good article.

Actually, only a couple of chiefs I've worked for (out of about 8) were anti CCW for citizens. And that was more their private views than their public. I don't recall any ever speaking out against it. I doubt I would have known as much as I did if I hadn't known them personally.

I know that IACP has come out against it, at least in the past. But I never agreed with them on much anyway.....
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Good for that sheriff, our sheriff is also very pro CCWs

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My respect and thanks to the shooter and the sheriff.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The only thing I'm going to disagree with him about is his 60's and 70's comments.

The Concealed Pistol License in Washington State came about in 1961 precisely because of armed violent criminals.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

GASheepdog is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Sounds like a job well done by the shooter. Georgia is also seeing an increase in applications for concealed carry permits. I always tell citizens who inquire about CCWs to get the permit, learn the laws governing deadly force and firearms safety, and become proficient with their chosen firearm. I'm sure my admins and local politicians wouldn't approve of my giving such advice, but, oh well.

One more thing, I'm sure that the people in the meeting found the whole ordeal to be, well, sobering .

Sorry, couldn't resist
    Be kind, be courteous . . .

and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

EllTee is offline Banned
    I'm with MacLean on the 60's-70's comment. I would guess the sheriff wasn't even a gleam in his daddy's eye...or he never visited Houston!

Thread Information