Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO

Friday 5 4-24-09

When you were a child....

1. What did you want to be when you grew up and why?

2. Who was your favorite person to do things with (excluding your parents)?

3. Did you love school or did you hate it? Why? Did that change as you got older?

4. Was your family close? What were your favorite family traditions?

5. Did you think that being an adult would be cool?

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What did you want to be when you grew up and why? This answered changed many times. As a young child 9-10 I wanted to be a pro ball player. As I got to be a teen I wanted to be a police officer. (look at me now)

2. Who was your favorite person to do things with (excluding your parents)? I loved spending time with my older cousins. I felt so cool when they would take me places and include me in things.

3. Did you love school or did you hate it? Why? Did that change as you got older? I loved being around other kids at school. I got bored with the work and never studied. It was not until college until I realized that school was actually helpful.

4. Was your family close? What were your favorite family traditions? My family is full of traditions. Every Sunday we went to church, and sat in the front row..we also had spaghetti dinner every Sunday. We ate dinner every day of the week together at 4pm. I could go on for days about family traditions. The funny thing is that they continued to carry over to my family. We do the same things with our kids that I did as a child.

5. Did you think that being an adult would be cool? I liked when adults treated me like an adult but I never wanted to grow up. Now that I'm 32 I still don't want to grow up I'm just a big kid.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

1. What did you want to be when you grew up and why? A cop and I don't know

2. Who was your favorite person to do things with (excluding your parents)? Was pretty much a loner

3. Did you love school or did you hate it? Why? Did that change as you got older? Hated it since the 6th grade. We were dirt poor and the well to do kids made a point of reminding me everyday. Never changed. It was a struggle until I told them all to fuck off and left.

4. Was your family close? What were your favorite family traditions? Just my Grandfather and Grandmother. Only tradition was going to church.

5. Did you think that being an adult would be cool? Wasn't sure but it got me out on my own.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

At varying times, a cop, a fireman, a paramedic, a fighter pilot, and a lawyer.

My brothers.

3. Did you love school or did you hate it? Why? Did that change as you got older?

I hated school since the first year in the rural school district we moved to. I still hate school and most teachers, although now I go to a lot of schools for work and instruct myself.

Yes. I liked the dinners and food that always went with any holiday.

I did, but I'd give up an arm to be five again.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO

For most of my life I wanted to be a veterinarian...actually started college for it (biology and chemistry degree) but then found out about terminal labs in vet school and couldnt do it. Got a degree in veterinary nursing and did that for 10 years. Had a midlife crisis and became a cop Somewhere there was a push to become a pilot in the air force too...got out to finish school..then got married and started with the vet dream again.

Usually my sister and cousins

I liked it enough when I was younger..did ok. Absolutely love it now...

My mom, sister and I are very close. We have always been kind of an anti-tradition family...so maybe that is a tradition in itself. We did use to have a lot of family holiday dinners at my aunts house..guess that counts

sure..thought I could do whatever I wanted, when I wanted and that money grew on trees. What a let down. LOL
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO
    1. What did you want to be when you grew up and why? You name it, a teacher, doctor, and a judge. Teacher cause at that time i liked kids. A doctor cause i looked doogie howser or whatever that tv show was lol and a judge cause i thought they looked cool.... Now going back I'd love to be a doctor. Just to have the intelligence and ability to figure out the cure. However, I have ZERO patience to be in school for like 8 years when i'm already 22. haha.

2. Who was your favorite person to do things with (excluding your parents)? Probably my sisters or brother.

3. Did you love school or did you hate it? Why? Did that change as you got older? I liked it, I guess. I mainly liked it cause I got to see my friends everyday. My views changed when I got into high school. I hung around someone I shouldn't have and lost a lot of high school friends.

4. Was your family close? What were your favorite family traditions? Yes! When I was younger we'd go to Madison International Speedway and watch the races at least once a summer. We'd always do fireworks for the 4th and have a party. Usually the summer was pretty fun.

5. Did you think that being an adult would be cool? Yes. But now, somedays, I don't think so. It involves paying bills and being in debt.
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    1. What did you want to be when you grew up and why? Police officer because I grew up in an LE family.

2. Who was your favorite person to do things with (excluding your parents)? Mike or Kevin, my best friends.

3. Did you love school or did you hate it? Why? Did that change as you got older? Hate is too kind of a word. I had a lot of problems in school that were called laziness and bad behavior back then. Now they recognize those problems and deal with them. Yes, it changed because I learned how to function in school/classes. I'm back in college now and loving it.

4. Was your family close? What were your favorite family traditions? I don't really have a close family. About the only traditions I know of were Thanksgiving at maternal grandparents, church, and a great Sunday dinner afterwards.

5. Did you think that being an adult would be cool? Yes, could not wait to grow up!! Now I wish I could go back to age 17 and stay there forever.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post

1. For a while I wanted to be a School Bus Driver, a Semi Driver, or just drive an RV all over the country (I didn't figure out that takes money to do). I guess I still ended up with a job driving all over the place. hehe As I got older (teens) I didn't really know what I wanted to do. Kind of a confusing time for me. I always thought I would drop out of school right as soon as I turned 16, even though I got good grades and even took some advanced classes. I guess this hints at #3 a little.

2. My best friend from 4th-6th grades, Troung. We could have a great time hanging out and not ever really doing anything. Or we could just do something simple and enjoy it.

3. I never liked school. I did well in it but I hated having to go. I saw it as a big drag. Didn't really change any until I got to college, but even then I hated having to go to classes. But the rest of college was major for me. A lot of changing and growth happened or started to happen during that time frame.

4. Growing up I did not think so. But looking back now.....for all the negative that I perceived, When I look at families today I think we were actually closer than we thought. Just had some issues I guess.

5. I thought the entire world would be all sunshine and happiness once I was grown up. Ooops! hehe It's been said already but I'd give anything to go back to my youth knowing everything I know now.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

GASheepdog is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    1. What did you want to be when you grew up and why? Fireman, Veternarian, Bodybuilder, Musician, Professor, Gun store owner. I never wanted to be a cop until I was in college.

2. Who was your favorite person to do things with (excluding your parents)? High school buddy that lived in the neighborhood. He's one of the few people from high school with whom I stay in contact.

3. Did you love school or did you hate it? Why? Did that change as you got older? I hated school until I was in college, mostly because I had more control to pick courses that I liked.

4. Was your family close? What were your favorite family traditions? Immediate family and maternal grandparents are very close. We always get together on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Memorial Day (military family).

5. Did you think that being an adult would be cool? No, but I've found that it is, in some ways.
    Be kind, be courteous . . .

and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO

1. Various things. A lawyer for a while, but realized I didn't have the money to go to college and my parents were poor. I tried working and going, but I didn't like having no free time at 18 years old and frankly wasn't mature enough to do it then. Being a cop never really crossed my mind much. Had an offer to play minor league baseball, but the pay was horrible and I really didn't think I was good enough to make it to the majors so I passed. Ironically, I went back to school working full time as a cop and got my masters when I was 33 years old.

2. An uncle who used to take me hunting and fishing a lot. My Dad never cared for those things. I seemed to always have one good friend I liked hanging out with. When my older brother came home, I followed him around like a puppy....... He's always been my hero. I miss him everyday.

3. I liked school, wouldn't say I loved it. I found early on that if I got good grades, I could get away with more stuff. I got suspended once each year of high school and still graduated valedictorian. (Small school, not that big a deal)

4. My mother's extended family was close. We got together several times a year at my grandparents house when I was a kid. It was a lot of fun to see my cousins and the rest of the family....

5. I don't recall ever being in a big hurry to grow up. I've always been pretty good at living in the moment, even as a kid.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

1. What did you want to be when you grew up and why? A scientist. I was a very curious child and liked to take things apart and do my own little experiments. As I got older I wanted to be a doctor.

2. Who was your favorite person to do things with (excluding your parents)? My namesake aunt/godmother. I thought she was the coolest person in the world, she'd take me all sorts of places when I was little.

3. Did you love school or did you hate it? Why? Did that change as you got older? I loved it for a while because it was easy and therefore fun, but then it became very boring. As I got older it became more challenging and I began to love it again.

4. Was your family close? What were your favorite family traditions? My family was and is very close. We have a lot of traditions, we don't wait for holidays to get together as a group. One tradition is a family dinner dance at a banquet hall each year, there are usually 150 people or so, and when I was a child I couldn't wait until I was old enough to go (the family imposed an age restriction - one must be at least 16).

5. Did you think that being an adult would be cool? I sure did.

adamdude04 is offline Rookie

1. What did you want to be when you grew up and why? I remember the first day I ever REALLY saw up close a patrol car. My uncles patrol car. Back in 1993. I was 7 years old at this time and all I knew was I wanted one. As I got older I looked more into "Police" things. Started watching COPS on saturday nights, and everything fell into place. I picked a lifestyle that wasn't around any drugs or wrong-doing. Needless to say I didn't have very many friends that's for sure. I guess I got the bug, and that's the path I took, stuck with, and now am finally ging to complete.

2. Who was your favorite person to do things with (excluding your parents)? My favorite person to do things with was my ex girlfriend back in Jersey. She wasn't just a "girlfriend", but also a best friend. Very few people in life you share a deep connection with. She was one of them. Unfortantly school called for her out in Florida, and an LEO job called for me in CO.

3. Did you love school or did you hate it? Why? Did that change as you got older? Did I love school or did I hate it could be a tricky question to answer. Depends what class I was in! I am horrible in math. The basic 2+2 = 22 and 4x4 = 4444 I got that on lockdown. But 22 to the power of 14 divided by X = 34823.42222222 I am just lost. English and History were my leaders. So at first growing up in middle school, I hated it. Middle/High school I liked it, again depending which class I was in.

4. Was your family close? What were your favorite family traditions? My family was not close. My parents had split up back in 1996. Unfortantly I can't remember any family traditions, except for one. My mom would make us open Christmas gifts on Christmas Night. This way we could enjoy Christmas Day for all it was worth.

5. Did you think that being an adult would be cool? Did I ever think an adult would be cool? Better than school! Job, own choices, ladies, all great stuff. But bills really put a damper on things
    Not an LEO. But hopefully soon

In Memory of Charles H. Spokane Police/SWAT
    http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...8f204c4f05.jpg

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

I still dont know what I want to be when I grow up, but when I was younger it mostly involved being a horse trainer or a veterinarian.

My best friend, Tricia

It was ok...I didnt love it but I didnt hate it either. That didn't change much as I got older.

My family was not close. We didnt have many traditions if any, but my favorite 'tradition' at least when I was very young was that my Dad would always get me an Italian rum cream cake and take a drinking glass and put the glass down the middle of the cake and that middle piece would be my slice. It always made me feel special (or maybe it was just the rum, )

Yeah I did..but now I think being a kid would be cool
    Arm the sheep!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Still trying to figure that out.

I usually had a few friends that I hung out with.
    Indifferent.
    Used to be. Parents are gone. Aunts and Uncles and cousins are still in the state but usually only get together at funerals, etc. I am closer to my wife's family now but even that is starting to waver with her immediate family out of state and cousins going their separate ways. Especially since Great grandpa has passed. He was the glue that held everyone together.
    Somewhat, I want do overs.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    1. What did you want to be when you grew up and why? A state trooper, I always liked the idea and it took me 28 yrs to get there.

2. Who was your favorite person to do things with (excluding your parents)? A good friend I grew up with and we are still friends today

3. Did you love school or did you hate it? Why? Did that change as you got older? I didn't love it or hate it. Looking back I should have cared more and tried harder.

4. Was your family close? What were your favorite family traditions? No, not really. My family came from farmers that grew up with dirt under their finger nails. Hard work was what they knew. We didn't have any real family traditions. When I graduated from the patrol acadamey, it was a big thing to them.

5. Did you think that being an adult would be cool? Naa,,,, I do remember thinking about how old someone was at age 50,,,eeeek,, now that is me.
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by adamdude04 View Post
    Back in 1993. I was 7 years old at this time
    Shit, you just made me feel old as hell!!!!!!! I graduated high school in 93.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    Shit, you just made me feel old as hell!!!!!!! I graduated high school in 93.

And you just made me feel old as hell!!!!!

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO

Oh goodness...what *didn't* I want to be? A cop, a veterinarian, a lawyer, a doctor, an astrophysicist...

I didn't really do anything with anyone. I liked reading a book by myself, actually.

I absolutely adored school (not the people though) and still do.

No, we weren't really close...though we sort of are now. We didn't really have any traditions either, other than the holiday ones.

Yeah...and it is for the most part. Of course, I'd love to be 15 again knowing what I know now.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    A.) When I was really little I think I just wanted to do something that involved driving a truck or a big piece of construction equipment. I always used to point that stuff out to my parents while riding in the back seat with my parents they say...

A.) Either my best friend or my cool Uncle.

A.) I don't think I minded going to school as a child, then grew to hate it at a certain point, then loved it again, then hated college for a bit, then absolutely loved college. I really went back and forth!

A.) Yes. We always had family dinners and played games whenever we could.

A.) I was always mature for my age and acting way older then I really was. So, probably yes.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Shrugs135 is offline Officer First Class

I wanted to be extremely money rich.....(see I grew up extremely money poor). Today I'm extremely rich.............(just not money rich!) (see, I grew up extremely rich!) Just didn't fully know it when I was young.

I'ld say my younger brother, we had (and still have) alot of good times together. (4wheel ATVing, fishing, hockey) BTW, I could absolutely torture the $hiote out of him and he'ld still hang around! LOL!

I enjoyed school. Played some sports, had some good friends, look back on those times with good memories.

Family was & is extremely close. Come from a large family (9 of us) and most favorite traditions was Christmas Eve. We all went to midnight mass, and then returned home to eat, drink and open gifts. The fun went well into the morning. My mom plays piano and she would make all of us stand around the paino and sing stupid christmas carols!!! LOL!!!

When I was young, I don't think I ever thought of being an adult as something that would be cool. Now I know it is!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information