Welcome to the APBWeb.

Lt. Col. Oliver North (Ret.)

I posted this elsewhere, but just wanted to share with the group.

The NRA Annual Convention was held in Phoenix this weekend. My dad (a Vietnam-era Tet offensive Marine Corps veteran), my brother and I (jarhead extraordinaire) went to the Convention Center today to peruse the booths. I was looking through the little agenda they hand out and I saw Lt. Col. North was schedule for a book-signing in the main lobby from 1100-1400.

I told my dad who perked up and said, "REALLY?" I quipped, "Oh, yeah!" and promptly showed him the book. We were waiting for a reloading lecture to start, so we had to wait, but figured we'd be good since he was scheduled until 1400.

After fighting sleep in the reloading class we skipped out 30 minutes early and headed downstairs. We rounded the corner and caught the escalator to go to the lower levels. As I looked down, I could see "Ollie" standing at a table and signing his latest book, American Heroes.

Now, I heard Lt. Col. North give a speech in Laughlin, NV back in 2004. He did a book signing immediately afterward but I missed out. I thought the line was too long and I went to grab some chow first. By the time I got back, he was long gone. But I digress....

I walked to the area next to him where they were selling several different books including his. I paid $30 for his book and a collector edition case which has a certificate of authenticity in regards to his autograph I was about to get.

My dad went first and got his signed, thanking Lt. Col. North for his service. I then walked up and I think I was standing at the position of attention in front of this man as he autographed my book. He spelled my name out loud to get it correct before he signed it in the book. When he asked if he was correct, I said, "Yes, sir." He asked how I was doing as he signed the book and I told him, "Outstanding." He closed the book and shook my hand and I said, "Semper Fi, sir." He said, "Whoa! Hold on. You are a Marine?" I said, "Yes, sir." He opened the book again and added a "Semper Fi" just above his name. He said that's only for Marines that he does that. I replied, "Outstanding, sir!" We shook hands again and this time he gripped my hand tightly as I said, "Thank you, sir and thank you for your service."

I walked away feeling kind of light-headed. Hopefully not because I had inadvertently locked my knees and was on the verge of passing out, but because I had finally met the man I consider to be a hero.

My father is now and will always be my #1 hero, but Lt. Col. Olive North is also a hero and a true patriot. I somehow strangely felt like I was a better person just for having met the man.

At some point in time I'll post pictures of my book. Like an idiot I didn't take my camera with me to the convention.

Well, sorry for rambling on and sorry for it not being entertaining. I'm sure I'll dream of going off to combat tonight. Today's meeting is without a doubt indelibly inked into my mind.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That is pretty cool!

IMachU is offline First Class Private
    Verified LEO
    Outstanding, Marine! It is truly a life-altering experience when you can meet a true hero like LTC North. Too bad you didn't have someone snap a cell phone pic of you with the Col!

Yeah, the 2 megapixel camera on my cell would have been horrible.

I'll have to stalk him and catch him the next time around.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    That is way cool!!! Do you have any books signed by other famous military members?

I have an Army friend that was able to get a copy of CW4 Michael Durant's "In the Company of Heroes" book signed personally at a book signing. He claims that Durant is his inspiration for going to Helicopter Flight School at Ft Rucker, AL. Durant was the pilot of one of the Blackhawks that was shot down, who was captured by Somali forces. I also have another friend, a disabled 18 yr Marine and 10 yr Navy veteran, who knew some of the men who served in that battle.

Marcus Luttrell's book is another one which I would not mind having or hear of someone having had signed.

Well, sorry for rambling on and sorry for it not being entertaining. I'm sure I'll dream of going off to combat tonight. Today's meeting is without a doubt indelibly inked into my mind.
    Not at all, it is always nice to hear that someone has met a TRUE HERO! I doubt that you will ever forget this moment. Just promise me this, don't wake up in Iraq or 'Stan, you've done your time in Hell.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

No sir. I don't have anything from anyone else. Hell, I only bought that book just to get his autograph on it. I would like to meet Gen. Tommie Franks, though.

CW4 Durant would be an awesome one, as well. I entered boot camp 01NOV1993. I arrived at my duty station, 29 Palms, CA around June or July of 1994. Not long after that, part of the unit returned from providing humanitarian aid to the Somalis. Man, the stories they had....

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Franks would be a good one as well.

I bet they had some fabulous stories, considering that Hollywood made a movie chronicling the events of the incident. Thank goodness it was pretty close to the real thing from what I hear.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information