Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

What are Policemen Made Of?

I heard this commentary this morning during the coverage of the story revolving around the 5 Birmingham Officers that were fired. I don't think I have ever heard a better description. Click the link for the actual audio courtesy of The Roanoke Cop.

http://roavapd.blogspot.com/2009/04/policeman.html

What Are Policemen Made Of? By Paul Harvey
    Don't credit me with the mongrel prose: it has many parents-at least 420,000 of them: Policemen.
    A Policeman is a composite of what all men are, mingling of a saint and sinner, dust and deity.
    Gulled statistics wave the fan over the stinkers, underscore instances of dishonesty and brutality because they are "new". What they really mean is that they are exceptional, unusual, not commonplace.
    Buried under the frost is the fact: Less than one-half of one percent of policemen misfit the uniform. That's a better average than you'd find among clergy!
    What is a policeman made of? He, of all men, is once the most needed and the most unwanted. He's a strangely nameless creature who is "sir" to his face and "fuzz" to his back
    He must be such a diplomat that he can settle differences between individuals so that each will think he won.
    But...If the policeman is neat, he's conceited; if he's careless, he's a bum. If he's pleasant, he's flirting;if not, he's a grouch.
    He must make an instant decision which would require months for a lawyer to make.
    But...If he hurries, he's careless; if he's deliberate, he's lazy. He must be first to an accident and infallible with his diagnosis. He must be able to start breathing, stop bleeding, tie splints and, above all, be sure the victim goes home without a limp. Or expect to be sued.
    The police officer must know every gun, draw on the run, and hit where it doesn't hurt.He must be able to whip two men twice his size and half his age without damaging his uniform and without being "brutal". If you hit him, he's a coward. If he hits you, he's a bully.
    A policeman must know everything-and not tell. He must know where all the sin is and not partake.
    A policeman must, from a single strand of hair, be able to describe the crime, the weapon and the criminal- and tell you where the criminal is hiding.
    But...If he catches the criminal, he's lucky; if he doesn't, he's a dunce. If he gets promoted, he has political pull; if he doesn't, he's a dullard. The policeman must chase a bum lead to a dead-end, stake out ten nights to tag one witness who saw it happen-but refused to remember.
    The policeman must be a minister, a social worker, a diplomat, a tough guy and a gentleman.
    And, of course, he'd have to be genius....For he will have to feed a family on a policeman's salary.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Great post.

IMachU is offline First Class Private
    Verified LEO
    Rep sent. Outstanding post.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Very Nice!!!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    I love me some Paul Harvey -

outstanding post
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I love listening to Paul Harvey. He did it RIGHT! You know his dad was a cop, right?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Great post!

Thread Information