Welcome to the APBWeb.
    cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Tactical medic teams

(Wasn't sure where to put this....)

I've never heard of Tactical medic teams before. Is this something all departments have in larger cities?

Tactical medic team ready for service | wisconsinrapidstribune.com | Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune

I think it's a good idea. I hope it works out well for those fortunate enough to have this emergency team.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    My current home town has a fully qualified medic on their SWAT team. Most of the time he works with other Medics at the fire department, but when SWAT is deployed he drops whatever he's doing and responds.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This is not unheard of at all. Some departments, however, have issues with tactical members not being full time employees or state certified law enforcement officers. Our is one such department. We have two full time deputies who are team members that are medic trained.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Yes, our SWAT team has members trained as paramedics. It can literally be a life saver for situations where the scene is not yet secure and a normal ambulance cannot help. The medical attention they give varies. For example we can put a tourniquet on another officer, but for liability reasons cannot do so for a civilian.

All of our officers have at least some medical training (although not all to EMT/Paramedic levels) and carry medical supplies in the cars. This is mostly to provide care as a first responder until an ambulance arrives on scene, but in an emergency situation you may be the only one there. I know a few officers who've assisted with births, CPR, etc...
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

2525 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I used to work with a guy from South Africa who was on a full-time tactical medic team. They drove around in armoured vehicles and their job was to go into a combat zone to extract downed police officers. But, that's South Africa and a different kind of beast entirely.
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer. "

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Is this the LE version of a Combat Medic or Corpsman?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Thank you all for helping civilians understand this better. I'm glad to see smaller departments are able to have teams available to them.

Nothing is more important than officer safety.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO
    We have a guy in our department that works more full time hours with EMS than the full time hours he puts in as lieutenant with our department. When our SWAT team (we called it an SRT Unit) was active, he was their combat medic. I call him a ditch doctor! Due to budget restraints, we no longer have an SRT Unit.
    I'm ready for spring!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by K9brando View Post
    We have a guy in our department that works more full time hours with EMS than the full time hours he puts in as lieutenant with our department. When our SWAT team (we called it an SRT Unit) was active, he was their combat medic. I call him a ditch doctor! Due to budget restraints, we no longer have an SRT Unit.
    That is way cool that you guys have someone like this to come to your aid when a call tragically goes south or there is a hostage situation and someone gets injured. The only thing that concerns me is his down time, or lack of it. He must eat, drink, and sleep LE and EMS.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I know of several departments who have actual E.R. Docs on the team. One of my good friends is a vet who handles the live animals used in the gunshot wound training used by the military and police. She works in Cal and in Virginia. She has a farm here and takes in the patrol horses when they retire. My grandkids and I feed them apples from time to time. I hear it is the best gunshot wound course in the world. She keeps the animals sedated so they feel nothing while they are shot. The team then tries to patch them up.

Sounds gruesome but I gues it is some serious training. She offered Maclean a spot in one of the classes....don't know if he is going to go or not.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    I know of several departments who have actual E.R. Docs on the team. One of my good friends is a vet who handles the live animals used in the gunshot wound training used by the military and police. She works in Cal and in Virginia. She has a farm here and takes in the patrol horses when they retire. My grandkids and I feed them apples from time to time. I hear it is the best gunshot wound course in the world. She keeps the animals sedated so they feel nothing while they are shot. The team then tries to patch them up.

Sounds gruesome but I guess it is some serious training. She offered Maclean a spot in one of the classes....don't know if he is going to go or not.

Car 4
    I'll bet she uses some heavy duty tranquilizers. I can't imagine what it feels like to be shot.

Good God, I hope that she doesn't have any problems with PETA. We all know that they will try to put their own spin on things and yet leave out this one important fact.

She keeps the animals sedated so they feel nothing while they are shot. The team then tries to patch them up.

Not a LEO

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Good point.....I know they are a prime military contractor so they don't have much of a problem. Lots of special forces/seals/combat medics and cops who need this kind of training to save lives at the sharp end of the stick.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    That is way cool that you guys have someone like this to come to your aid when a call tragically goes south or there is a hostage situation and someone gets injured. The only thing that concerns me is his down time, or lack of it. He must eat, drink, and sleep LE and EMS.

That is what we keep telling him because he also owns his own law enforcment supply store in our town and works that what little time he is off. He is also enrolled full time in college on line and does that as well. I keep telling him he is going to have a heart attack if he doesn't get some of these things off of his plate.
    I'm ready for spring!

Thread Information