Welcome to the APBWeb.
    keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Just when I thought politicians couldn't get any dumber...

The Democrat controlled gov't. of Wisconsin just signed a "budget." As a part of the "budget" all pay raises for non-union employees are suspended, and each employee, union or otherwise, has to take 16 "furlough" days in the next 2 years. The authors of this brilliant peice of legilature sold it on the cost benefits and how much it will save the taxpayers.

I work full time in a prison. There are 400 officers here in 24-hour a day positions. These are positions that have to be filled. What that means is that when an officer is on "furlough," someone else has to be there to do the job and take the position. As a reasult, for every day that an officer is on "furlough," another officer will be in their place, earning time-and-a-half! In essence the estimated 51,200 hours of furloughs at my institution alone will end up costing the state 76,800 hours of pay! At over $30.00 an hour for overtime, the state is losing almost $1,000,000! WHAT FRICKEN SENSE DOES THIS MAKE?
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    For politicians who don't live in the real world, it makes perfect sense.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Ahh see Keith you are missing the point

They are going to expect the management to not fill those man hours and put your life at risk because they will not want to pay over-time to fill the gap.

See they thought about it, they basically told you, that you are not worth crap and funding stupid ideas like a commuter railroad in Madison to Chicago is much more important than you having the man power to back you up when the riot occurs in prison.

Dont worry, when you get put on disability from getting hurt at work because of the lack of staff, you will have plenty of time to ponder your suit against the state.

Flippin Idiots,

Dane County workers just took a pay cut (voted on) so that way they would not lay off over 100 workers (which included the sheriffs department)
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Keith,I 100% agree with both the responses you have received so far,Hmmmmm can I do that??

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I heard Ohio is trying to do the same thing, and in Cincinnatti they have already cut back in the jails and several Corrections Officers have already been hurt and hospitalized. Still they want to do more cutbacks in emergency services. Dispatchers are on the chopping block right now and they are making more cuts in Fire and Rescue and Law Enforcement. They are making officers pull their cars over and walk a beat for an hour per shift to save on gas. Now, I don't want to get anyone angry but wouldn't it be wiser to pull some officers out of their cars and put them on a beat every shift for the entire shift? I'm not saying all but maybe a couple cars and alternate beat cop and car cop? Wouldn't that save on gas costs which in turn would save money? They could leave the beat cops car nearby in case they needed to respond for back up but the rest of the time be on the street? My dad walked the beat for years winter and summer. He also had shifts where he was in a squad car and times when he worked in the station itself.

Any opinions?

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    My husband works for the county. When the roads need plowing or there's a road emergency on one of those 16 days off, he gets overtime. Bonus if it happens on a holiday, cause then it's holiday pay.

There's another part of the bill that says the county can't bid on some types of work over 25,000 which means shutting down the county, which means my husband may be out of a job. I sure hope not.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    What you have are politicians riding on short term gains, praying that the long term costs will be obliterated or absorbed by a rebounding economy. The reality is that it won't and we are in a slow death spiral. Seems that you need to write to the editor of your local newspaper to bring up this issue. Then again, with the news media outlets having a cozy, in-bed relationship with politicos . . .

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    The Democrat controlled gov't. of Wisconsin just signed a "budget." As a part of the "budget" all pay raises for non-union employees are suspended, and each employee, union or otherwise, has to take 16 "furlough" days in the next 2 years. The authors of this brilliant peice of legilature sold it on the cost benefits and how much it will save the taxpayers.

I work full time in a prison. There are 400 officers here in 24-hour a day positions. These are positions that have to be filled. What that means is that when an officer is on "furlough," someone else has to be there to do the job and take the position. As a reasult, for every day that an officer is on "furlough," another officer will be in their place, earning time-and-a-half! In essence the estimated 51,200 hours of furloughs at my institution alone will end up costing the state 76,800 hours of pay! At over $30.00 an hour for overtime, the state is losing almost $1,000,000! WHAT FRICKEN SENSE DOES THIS MAKE?

With politicians, there is NO lowest common denominator. Once they get a whiff of that power, the game is over for you, buddy.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    With politicians, there is NO lowest common denominator. Once they get a whiff of that power, the game is over for you, buddy.

Car 4
    Politicians, especially liberal ones = Greedy, money hungry, grabbing fools.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Just when I thought politicians couldn't get any dumber
    There's a phrase one never wants to lead a sentence with, you'll just keep getting surprised.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The positions that I am talking about are positions that HAVE to be filled 24-hours a day. In order to staff the institutions minimally, there is no choice but to fill them. There are at least 20 other prisons as well as numerous hospitals that have to be staffed, yet The talking Heads in Madison think they are saving the taxpayers some money.Why the unions continually support Democrats is beyond my comprehension. In 30 years of working for the State and or a County, the best raises I ever received were when a Republican was in office.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    God there is a resemblence.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Some people, politicians, can't find their collectives asses with both hands and a road atlas.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Some people, politicians, can't find their collectives asses with both hands and a road atlas.
    ......and a fart that came out for them to smell it. They would be too busy trying to figure out what it was and where it came from.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information