Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Whitewolf is offline Hard Of Hearing Non-LEO

Grrr! My Hyundai Elantra just smoked up something.

I drove all the way to drop my daughter's friend off home and then were returning home. My daughter looked at me with a funny face and said, "Mom, I smelled something.." then the car started shifting fast/slow, losing power. Turned on the Hazard warning, we got to my home safely. I opened the hood and the smoke came from the back of the engine. I looked under the vehicle, and the smokes came out. My car just passed the Smog test yesterday, after the engine was replaced at the engine shop. Now what was going on?

The catalyst was glowing red. Creeped me out! Have any of you guys has a similar problem? I dunno how much I will have to put it on the counter. I paid $395 off after a few payment from the engine shop. Paid $69.50 for smog test only and $60 for the alternator replaced. <sigh> It's a 1992 Hyundai Elantra. ARGH!
    I SEE NEKKED PEOPLE! AIN'T SKEERED!!!!!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    No similiar problems...that sucks.

slamdunc is offline On The Beat
    One of our fleet cars had a similar problem. It turned out to be the mass air-flow sensor. It sent the wrong signal to the computer and it flooded the engine with too much fuel. The fuel accumulated in the converter area and ignited. It nearly ignited the carpet above the converter.
    You probably need a really good mechanic with diagnostic equipment. Good luck.
    'The Art of War' teaches us to "Rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's coming, but on our own readiness to receive him"--Sun Tsu

Thanks. I better take it to the mechanic tomorrow. This is my first time... Thanks, guys (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) )))))

I took it to the mechanic and he was scratching his head. Nothing abt the mass air-flow sensor, not even the alternator, not even the fuel injection system....the diagnosis device stated the TCU went haywired. Something is wrong with its brain. Darn, how I hate computer technology nowaday in the vehicles. Grrrr! But hey, I love computers so can the cars have them. <sigh> TCU is SOOOO expensive. I rather go to the junkyard and pull one out of the weckage. I can't believe it will cost me almost 500 bucks on it. ARGH! I even check the mass air-flow sensor also sooo expensive. ARGH! Dammit. It's okay for now but I can't be able to use it on freeway until I replace it. Still an ugly "Check Engline" light goes on every time I drive.

BTW, if the junkyard has the same vehicle, I rather pull BOTH, the mass air-flow sensor and the TCU so I don't have to worry about it then.

Operator13 is offline Just Another Voice
    Never had any problems that were emissions related, but heard they could be pretty salty.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    I have a 2002 Elantra, I hate it. I have not had a problem like that though, so I am sorry to hear it. With my piece of shit the alignment is always getting screwed up and no matter how many times I get it fixed I go through 4 tires a year. Pisses me off. Plus it is so underpowered I feeli like I am driving a lawnmower up some hills.
    I wish they paid my ass more so I could get a new car.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I have an old Dodge that has an issue with the fuel injector, it dumps too much fuel so the catalytic converter winds up glowing red. Not a happy thing.

On the upshot, I just bought a '95 Mitsubishi Eclipse to replace it.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Maybe the cat converter is stopped up?

Quote Originally Posted by Darin
    Maybe the cat converter is stopped up?
    It was checked up. Converter is fine as the muffler. I switched the TCU (ECC or whatever it calls) unit (got it at the junkyard for $35 but brand new condition..some ppl threw their junkies in the junkyard...waste of repair bucks..), it's still the same so my tcu is okay.

Could be oxygen sensor, fuel injection regulator or volt. regulator? I recalled my kids' dad has a crazy car 82 Toyota Corolla, when he replaced the regulator, the "Check Engine" light turned off. Some vehicles can be soooooo weird.

Darn, Beans, the alignment? My kids' dad's 1989 Ford Tempo has a BIGGEST and UGLIEST alignment problem...now it's still at it especially on the freeway. I dunno about my Hyundai's alignment yet, it still drives straight. It hasn't been on a freeway yet.

Ducky, maybe I might check that little fuel injector one by one and see what's up with it. But now I'm all too pooped. I need my break after kicking the Hyundai's butts. Heh. <sigh>

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Could be the O2 sensor. Mine went bad in my Toyota and the check engine light came on.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin
    Could be the O2 sensor. Mine went bad in my Toyota and the check engine light came on.
    I'll check. My friend told me not to buy it from the junkyard for that O2 sensor. Sucks. But it's expensive to pay almost similar to voltage regulator's price. Maybe I should put up a sign around my neck: "Will work for O2 sensor. My car needs it more than me." LOL!

Psst...I'll go and get it from a junkyard anyway.

Thread Information