lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Average Police Officer salary

Police Officer Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com

$42,000???!!!!!

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAAAAAHAHHAHAHA **Whew**

Good one. I thought they were serious for a moment.

Actually, check out the upscale unarmed security officer salary. That's more like it. These folks have obviously didn't ask anyone in the deep rural south.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I wish I made more (don't we all) I'm at $22.00 an hour here, that is 6 more an hour then the SO makes
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    hell - I'm at 36k a year... with a bump from having my Bachelor's degree...

sometimes i wonder why i left the 42k a year base job (that i was clearing about 75k after O.T.) to come to my current dept...

then I remember... b/c it's McDonalds here...

you know... ba dap ba ba baaaa.... I'm lovin' it

honestly lew... I think that's what our bosses think... we do this job b/c it's a calling... not b/c it's a paycheck

hell, Livingston Parish makes like 25k a year (or something like that) and have a pretty good retention rate... why pay more if us dumbasses stay here for so little
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Here in my county CHP makes an average of 60k more a year then anyone else
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Actually...I believe $42,000 is about our base salary after certification....give or take. Wasnt that when I joined but hey...I'm doing ok. In our area we actually make pretty decent money..but then again we dont have anything else big time here. Just retail and some tourist type jobs.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    It's really amazing and admirable that LEOs are willing to sacrifice so much for so little pay. LEOs really should be paid more. Even if it is a calling, you all still have families to feed.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    For the most part, departments east of the Mississippi are payed a lot less than those in the west.

My pay in Virginia was 43000 after 5 years and a promotion. That's what rookies in the academy make at my department in Colorado. Being a lateral, day one here was an instant 15000 pay jump.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Here's the really telling statement:

Average Police Officer salaries for job postings nationwide are 31% lower than average salaries for all job postings nationwide.
    This is what needs to change.

sometimes i wonder why i left the 42k a year base job (that i was clearing about 75k after O.T.) to come to my current dept...
    Damn, maybe I should have taken that job...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Buttercup is online now Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    It's really amazing and admirable that LEOs are willing to sacrifice so much for so little pay. LEOs really should be paid more. Even if it is a calling, you all still have families to feed.
    On this, I agree with you.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Salary Table 2009-DET

We start at a GS 5 or GS 7, depending on the way the stars are alligned. I am a GS 11 - 4 now. Add 15% for afternoons, 20% for mids, and every Sunday add 50%.

"Stupid should hurt."

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    Here are some examples of top pay in the Pittsburgh area.
    My dept tops at $75,000 next year.
    Department jsut south of us around $70,000
    City pays 4th year $54,000 but the rumors are scary about pay reductions, no pensions for any future hires etc.
    A dept. east of the city pays the most at over $85,000

The cost of living hre isn't bad either with new houses costing anywhere from low $200s to over $500s for the biggies.
    Gas is avg. around $2.59
    Food is cheap
    The city itself would be much better off if 40% of the property wasnt tax exempt, i.e. learning institutions and hospitals but the thousands that work there do contribute a lot w/ food, parking etc.
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    That's probably about right for the county I work in. However, if you go one county south, (where I live) it's about 12,000 less. I would love to work in my own city, but I can't afford too.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    When I started in 71, I was making $735 a month and was happy to get it. When I retired, I was making $120,000 a year and didn't realy have any more money than when I started.

In the greater Seattle area, salaries are very good. With the raises that SPD and KCSO just got, a senior patrolman or deputy will be making about 80k a year. If I were still working, I would be making $155,000 a year.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    When I started in 71, I was making $735 a month and was happy to get it. When I retired, I was making $120,000 a year and didn't realy have any more money than when I started.

In the greater Seattle area, salaries are very good. With the raises that SPD and KCSO just got, a senior patrolman or deputy will be making about 80k a year. If I were still working, I would be making $155,000 a year.

Car 4
    Yah..trying like hell to move there...your salaries are much more than ours but the cost of living is about the same. Plus I have family there to go have dinner with I got another interview etc..but then hurt my leg. I just want to move...its so frustrating.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I started at 41,000 a year, and right now i'm around 48,000 I think....but i can't really remember to be honest. That's without OT.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

GASheepdog is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    $42,000/yr. is what I make with overtime added. Extra-duty gigs added about $12,000 last year, so I'm doing okay. Like the rest of the south, GA lags behind national averages, especially in rural areas.
    Be kind, be courteous . . .

and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I can't complain at all. I'm making well over double from my first police job. When you add in the region of the country I work in I am doing quite well for "local" law enforcement.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    In USD as of Jul 5, 2009 Police Officer in Chicago, IL $44,000.00

Average Police Officer salaries for job postings in Chicago, IL are 2% higher than average Police Officer salaries for job postings nationwide.

If I woke up tomorrow making $44,000 I'll be in deep $@!&.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    My PD starts at about 50k. I'll top out in two years in patrol at about 75k. More if we get a bump at our next contract negotiation.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Damn, maybe I should have taken that job...
    hey CB - I told ya life was nice... if you could get over the boredom and all the BS of having a super small department

definitely not a bad salary for a campus cop
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information