Welcome to the APBWeb.
    sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO

need info on burial at sea

Does anyone know where I can find the reference source for the words spoken by a ships's CO or the Chaplain when someone is buried at sea? "..we commit (his/her) body to the deep...in sure and certain knowledge..." ??

I may be saying these words over a Navy Officer (Master Diver) friend. Those making the arrangments do not understand or care about the concept of miilitary honors. His wife was an atheist who died 4 years before him, and she wrote the burial script for their estate executors. No military honors for him: i.e. no 21 gun slaute, no bugler, no bagpipes or "Eternal Father", no flag, no boatswain's pipe. My suggestions were met by a condescending refusal. No clergy is expected to participate.

I intend to read the committal followed by the 23rd Psalm or Lord's Prayer. If nothing more, a hand salute from the few veterans attending.

Thanks.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I certainly don't know. Looked, found this, might save someone more knowledgeable a step?

The Annotated Book of Common Prayer, 1872 edition, has this on burial at sea :
    The annotated book of common prayer ... - Google Books

(easier to read if you download the PDF, jump to page 685)

Couple variations here, last again using that text.
    Burial at Sea

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO

thanks

got it and thanks
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    May your friend rest in peace.

spd110 is offline 110
    In the sure and certain hope of the resurrection to eternal life through our Lord Jesus Christ, we commend to Almighty God ourshipmate___________________ _ and we commit his body to the depths..... Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. The Lord bless him and keep him. The Lord make his face to shine upon him and be gracious unto him. The Lord lift up his countenance upon him, and give him peace. Amen

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Sarge....I believe that the one which includes the sentence, "and the sea shall give up her dead", is the appropriate one.

If the body is cremated, the Coast Guard will, for a small fee, take his remains and spread them beyond the 3 mile limit. My father was to be buried like this by my sister at the Brookings, Oregon USCG station.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Sarge....I believe that the one which includes the sentence, "and the sea shall give up her dead", is the appropriate one.

If the body is cremated, the Coast Guard will, for a small fee, take his remains and spread them beyond the 3 mile limit. My father was to be buried like this by my sister at the Brookings, Oregon USCG station.

Car 4

The Neptune Society also handles cremains scattering at sea.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information