Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: PC Tech Support

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

PC Tech Support

Considering the broad type of backgrounds and professions here, I figured this would be the best place to look for assistance. I need help with my wireless internet connect.

I've got a HP Pavillion notebook PC with Windows Vista with a wireless cable internet connection. In the last week, I've had multiple, multiple, multiple pages online come up with "page not found" as if I'm not currently connected to the internet. I assure you, I am connected when I get the "page not found" page. Also, the connection icon in the lower right corner shows that I'm connected. But when I open the "Network and Sharing" center, I see a "map" of my network. The map shows my PC..with a green line leading to my network (named jmur)...followed by a red "X" which leads the a picture of a globe labeled internet. So somewhere between my wireless network and the internet something is being disrupted.

When I click Diagnose and Repair, it tells me that it is a problem with my DNS Configuration and Window's can't fix it. It suggets I call my ISP. When I called them, they told me it's a problem with Vista because my computer isn't set up as a "home" network, and suggested I call HP Customer Assistance. When I called them, they told me it was gonna cost 50 bucks for help over the phone. Ridiculous.

I've gone through the troubleshoots available with the provided Windows Help and Support. I've also "flushed" my DNS cache with no luck.

Also, my girlfriend has had the same problem with my network when she's been over, and it happens on both firefox and internet explorer. Any advice?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Considering the broad type of backgrounds and professions here, I figured this would be the best place to look for assistance. I need help with my wireless internet connect.

I've got a HP Pavillion notebook PC with Windows Vista with a wireless cable internet connection. In the last week, I've had multiple, multiple, multiple pages online come up with "page not found" as if I'm not currently connected to the internet. I assure you, I am connected when I get the "page not found" page. Also, the connection icon in the lower right corner shows that I'm connected. But when I open the "Network and Sharing" center, I see a "map" of my network. The map shows my PC..with a green line leading to my network (named jmur)...followed by a red "X" which leads the a picture of a globe labeled internet. So somewhere between my wireless network and the internet something is being disrupted.

When I click Diagnose and Repair, it tells me that it is a problem with my DNS Configuration and Window's can't fix it. It suggets I call my ISP. When I called them, they told me it's a problem with Vista because my computer isn't set up as a "home" network, and suggested I call HP Customer Assistance. When I called them, they told me it was gonna cost 50 bucks for help over the phone. Ridiculous.

I've gone through the troubleshoots available with the provided Windows Help and Support. I've also "flushed" my DNS cache with no luck.

Also, my girlfriend has had the same problem with my network when she's been over, and it happens on both firefox and internet explorer. Any advice?
    Same laptop here, same configuration. I had that problem soon after setting up my network. My problem turned out to be the cable internet itself. Tightened some connections, took out a splitter, and direct wired to the modem and everything was fine.

Now I occasionally lose my connection. When I do, I reset the router and cable modem and it comes right back up.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post

Most tech support people are worthless.

Tell us how your system is set up, as in a a little map.

Mine goes Cable Modem to Firewall to Wireless Router to broadcast in the home.

How does yours look?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Most tech support people are worthless.

Tell us how your system is set up, as in a a little map.

Mine goes Cable Modem to Firewall to Wireless Router to broadcast in the home.

How does yours look?
    I just have a cable modem and wireless router (Netgear). I don't believe I've got a firewall between the two. I do have a firewall on my laptop, but have never made any changes to it since the day I bought my computer.

So I guess, my set up would be cable modem to the router, to broadcast in my house. With a Windows Defender firewall on my laptop.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So the issue is probably in the configuration of the router, since you get there just fine.

Did you pull it out of the box and plug it in, or did you set it up?
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    So the issue is probably in the configuration of the router, since you get there just fine.

Did you pull it out of the box and plug it in, or did you set it up?

Well I set it up over a year ago, and then about 6 months ago I relocated it to a different part of my house. The issue with my computer though has only started in the last week.

But anyway, I took it out of the box, followed the install instructions, plugged everything in following the instructions, set up my own password secured network, etc.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I would run the setup on the router again, and make sure the laptop is setup for DHCP.

Vista pretty much automates that process now.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Could be that your ISP's DNS servers are flaking. Easy way to find out is to switch to Open DNS temporarily.

I never bothered making an account, just switched the servers from Charter's when they were having problems. Instructions below walk you through it pretty nicely. If you already have DNS servers entered, jot those down. Most likely it's set to auto detect, and to undo all you need to do is set it back to auto detect.

https://www.opendns.com/start/device/windows-vista

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Get your cable company to check the signal strength, both at the point where the cable enters the house and at the modem. If you've got a bad splitter or too much wire, and they've dropped some signal strength in the last week (added more houses, or other changes on their end, including problems), you might not be getting enough signal.

I'd also consider checking for interference in the wireless signal by changing channels on it, if you can... And can you try going straight hardwire from the modem to your computer? If the problem persists that way, you know it's in the cable end of things. If the problem goes away... it's in the wireless side.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Did you get it fixed up?

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well actually before I tried ANY suggestions from here, it seems to have fixed itself.

I'm assuming it was something on the ISP's end...?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Could have been. Weird it took their network monkeys that long to see it.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I had a similar problem with my cable internet for a while. Have a technician come out, and check the signal strength both into the house and at the modem. You almost undoubtedly have splitters, and the length of the cable is a factor. Depending on what's going on in the cable system -- the signal strength can fluctuate. If it's running low, it doesn't take much to drop just under the strength needed to work.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information