Welcome to the APBWeb.
    ANI4ANI is offline Served my city 1972-1997
    Verified LEO

Question Has anyone invested in gold?

We all see/hear the commercials for gold investments due to the current financial situation. Has anyone purchased gold or silver?
    As today's police officers you are not unlike your counterparts of years past. You are an elite group of select members, a brotherhood of highly trained professionals, who are called upon to protect your community in a time of need. Guardians for safety. Being a police officer is not for the faint of heart. You must be honest, trustworthy and fearless in the face of evil. You are being watched everyday. Represent yourself, your department and the shield, for it should always be the embodiment of all that is good and justly. You are the thin blue line. Be proud, be tough and be safe.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I wouldn't. Gold and silver don't have any inherent value; they only have a stable value because a lot of people believe they should. If a significant proportion of those people change their minds, they won't have a stable value anymore. They're like any other investment--just because they have held their value in the past doesn't mean they will always hold their value in the future. I think they're actually more risky in a major economic collapse than investments in stuff that most people actually need to survive, like land, which will always have some value even if it is a lot less than what you paid for (and which you can live off of if the food system collapses), government bonds, which would keep paying interest and still be worth what you paid for them at maturity unless the government goes bankrupt, and plain old US currency, which wouldn't lose too much value unless inflation skyrocketed and/or the US government went bankrupt, in which case the whole system would break down and we'd all have to live off the land anyway.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I've thought about a lot lately. Inflation is going to hit hard in the not too distant future with all the money the government has printed. I've looked at Goldline and Lear Capital and Lear seems to have better prices but that's as far as I've gone to date.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I wouldn't. Gold and silver don't any inherent value; they only have a stable value because a lot of people believe they should. If a significant proportion of those people change their minds, they won't have a stable value anymore. They're like any other investment--just because they have held their value in the past doesn't mean they will always hold their value in the future. I think they're actually more risky in a major economic collapse than investments in stuff that most people actually need to survive, like land, which will always have some value even if it is a lot less than what you paid for (and which you can live off of if the food system collapses), government bonds, which would keep paying interest and still be worth what you paid for them at maturity unless the government goes bankrupt, and plain old US currency, which wouldn't lose too much value unless inflation skyrocketed and/or the US government went bankrupt, in which case the whole system would break down and we'd all have to live off the land anyway.

my head hurts...

but I do agree - land - and guns (with tons of ammo) are the best investments
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Nope, just a few silver coins, and probably less than $1,000 worth of those.

I disagree about what would happen if the US Government went bankrupt... Except for some very large financial instutions, government contractors, people getting government handouts, and people holding US Government securities that are only backed by the government's "full faith & credit", I can't see a lot changing if people just don't panic - The Government isn't as necessary to daily existance as people think it is, and our money (in theory) is backed by our Gross National Product, not the Government.

As for what happens if people do panic: Yeah, that would cause a huge disruption in the economy, and could set us back in the stone age - But it won't be caused directly by the Government going broke, it would be caused by panic.

People already know the Government is already broke anyway - There should not be any great shock if the checks start bouncing (except for people who have not heard or read the news in the last 30 years because they spend all day listening to music stations and watching shows like "Idol").

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Gold? Who has any money left after buying guns and ammo?

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    my head hurts...

but I do agree - land - and guns (with tons of ammo) are the best investments
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Gold? Who has any money left after buying guns and ammo?

Car 4
    Come to think of it, guns and ammunition probably will be worth more than their weight in gold if the government collapses, because in the absence of a functioning government, all the sheep will suddenly need to become sheepdogs or wolves to survive.

213th is offline Solipsist
    I would like to, but I don't think I could find a seller that would sell as small an amount as I could afford. Besides, if I could spare any real money I'd build back my arsenal. Or atleast get one of my remaining guns shipped to me.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It’s a bad idea to invest in gold. Everyone’s talking about it right now because gold is really high.

In the book Stocks for the Long Run, Jeremy Siegel has a graph that shows what would have happened to a single dollar invested in gold, bonds and stocks since 1801.

One dollar invested in bonds in 1801 would yield $13,975 today.
    One dollar invested in stocks in 1801 would be worth $8.8 million today.
    One dollar invested in gold in 1801 would be worth $14 today.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Guns and ammo are always a good investment, if we ever fell back to a barter system they would more valuable than gold.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    shit, i invest in gold. when i go out for a night on the town i look like Mr T.

actually, in all seriousness, no, i did not invest in gold. but i did dress up like (the white) Mr T for an 80s party last month, it was off the hook. i shaved his unique looking mohawk into my head, threw on a pair of old jeans with my black work boots, ripped the sleeves off of a black BDU top, painted a beard on (i had to work earlier that day, or i would have just grown my own), clipped some feathered earings to my ears, and put on a shit load of fake gold chains and rings. it was classic. i highly suggest it for upcoming halloween, for those of you still searching for costumes. you gotta be able to pull it off though.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Bullets have appreciated.

I figure I own enough to get by.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Come to think of it, guns and ammunition probably will be worth more than their weight in gold if the government collapses, because in the absence of a functioning government, all the sheep will suddenly need to become sheepdogs or wolves to survive.
    I WISH I had bought that machine gun I had a chance at a few years ago... At that time the guy was asking about $7500. I forgot what kind it was, but I thought that was expensive. Seems like it was either chambered in 30-06 or .308, I can't remember.

Then a year or so ago, he sold it for almost $20,000, he said.

I also met another guy a few years ago at a local gun club who has a collection of machine guns worth over $300,000 - The one he brought for us to look at was a pre-WWII model, valued at like $45,000, and in perfect condition.

He said he's been collecting machine guns for years, and the prices have never gone down.. HOWEVER, he expects them to go down for the first time if Obama gets kicked out of office in the next election. if Obama gets elected again, the values will likely go up again, unless he sends the BATF out to confiscate all the machine guns.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I just have a few pieces of gold jewelry. I do have more in guns than I do in jewelry though.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    shit, i invest in gold. when i go out for a night on the town i look like Mr T.

actually, in all seriousness, no, i did not invest in gold. but i did dress up like (the white) Mr T for an 80s party last month, it was off the hook. i shaved his unique looking mohawk into my head, threw on a pair of old jeans with my black work boots, ripped the sleeves off of a black BDU top, painted a beard on (i had to work earlier that day, or i would have just grown my own), clipped some feathered earings to my ears, and put on a shit load of fake gold chains and rings. it was classic. i highly suggest it for upcoming halloween, for those of you still searching for costumes. you gotta be able to pull it off though.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    It’s a bad idea to invest in gold. Everyone’s talking about it right now because gold is really high.

In the book Stocks for the Long Run, Jeremy Siegel has a graph that shows what would have happened to a single dollar invested in gold, bonds and stocks since 1801.

One dollar invested in bonds in 1801 would yield $13,975 today.
    One dollar invested in stocks in 1801 would be worth $8.8 million today.
    One dollar invested in gold in 1801 would be worth $14 today.
    I always thought the point of investing in gold was not to make money, but to protect against inflation.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I always thought the point of investing in gold was not to make money, but to protect against inflation.

Real Estate is a better investment for protection from inflation. When inflation does hit Real Estate will blow up.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information