Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

kids grrr.........part II!

For those of you who read my first post on this subject, things have progressed since then. My wife finally came around and decided that it was time for some "tough love." All along, it has been me against my wife and daughter when it came to discipline. I was told, more than once, "quit being a cop all of the time." Well, now that things have come to the point that they have, suddenly my wife decided that maybe I was right. So, as a result, my daughter is under a strict curfew, has no car or cell phone and spent a week in a juvenile facility when she decided she was going to do things her way. One of the hardest things I ever had to do was call the police to have my kid picked up when she refused to come home. That's to say nothing of the embarassment I went through when I went to the city P.D. and knew every cop there, and have had to work with them everyday since. At least it seems that my daughter is getting her act together, and I don't intend to give up on her.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

lcsodre108 is offline DUI Persecutor
    At least you care enough to do something about it, and are not like most of the parents I deal with and deny the problem.
    www.alliedoddballs.com
    I can't do this test when I am sober!

Respect My AUTHORITAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cris1102 Guest
    Good luck Keith. I hope everything works out. Everyone goes through rough times. I'm sure she'll grow out of it.

Congratulations on not giving up on her.

Cabot_517 is offline Chuck Norris Rocks!!!!
    yeah, people around here don't care. i would have done the same thing. i have 4 kids and twins on the way, my pain is just begining.
    "Go Your Way; Behold, I Send You Out As Lambs Among The Wolves." Lk 10:3

Cris1102 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lcsodc128
    yeah, people around here don't care. i would have done the same thing. i have 4 kids and twins on the way, my pain is just begining.
    WOW!!! Six kids...thats amazing!!!

Congratulations!!!
    Last edited by Cris1102; 04-06-06 at 01:14 AM.

Roses is offline Member
    Originally Posted by lcsodc128
    twins on the way
    Congratulations to you and your wife!
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

Curt581 is offline Whatever
    Verified LEO
    i have 4 kids and twins on the way, my pain is just begining.
    Poor bastard...

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Keith, it sounds like you are doing the right thing. I was a bit of a problem child but thanks to some strict parents and good upbringing, I think I turned out OK.

Though I resented it at the time, I am now forever grateful my parents were strict with me.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    You know what causes that don't you?

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Unsanitary toilets?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I know there is hope for her, as a lot of what she is pulling is stuff I did and got away with. I just don't want her to go through all of the crap that I did because of my choices.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Cabot_517 is offline Chuck Norris Rocks!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    Unsanitary toilets?

thats what i thought. dirty truck stop bathrooms
    "Go Your Way; Behold, I Send You Out As Lambs Among The Wolves." Lk 10:3

Whitewolf is offline Hard Of Hearing Non-LEO
    I feel it. Keith, my daughter is going thru almost similar way. She's only 12 1/2 and becomes a rebellious girl. Someone told me she's going thru the stage but no thanks. She's worse than I was. She would disobey the authorities of school causing her to be sent to Dean's office a few times...hanging around the classes when she is suppose to be in those classes causing "truancy." Lowest grades, and so on. She got in trouble with me, so she was assigned to a probation officer which I'm pleased but she hates it. I told her I didn't have a choice, I didn't want to pay the ticket that she got in trouble with, so to put her on a strict probation. One of the rules in the probation paper, she has to follow my RULES or I'll ground her to the point that she can no longer use the phone or computer completely until 1: Improve her grades, 2 : Do all her homeworks (of course she did but she didn't turn them in..grrr!) 3: There is no buts, ifs, or whatever, I don't listen to her whining about what "if my friends call me and I can't pick them up, they'll think I'll ignore them." 4: Follow the school rules at all times and obey all school officials including her probation officer.

Best of all, she has to do all the chores every day. She thinks she's like a "Cinderella" when I hear her signing the tunes of it, but added her own, "If I got a nice and rich boyfriend (prince or pop star), I would move away to the castle and live happily ever after" during the chores. <sigh> I signed her up for Torch Foundation and Tutoring service, she didn't like them. Sorry to her, she got to do both anyway. I'm hoping my son wouldn't follow her footstep. He's 10 and still normal. <sigh> Blame the school kids who give out bad influences to younger kids.
    I SEE NEKKED PEOPLE! AIN'T SKEERED!!!!!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Whitewolf, it seems as though the only thing that really works is the "tough love" approach. I've had enough of the touchy-feely, feel good garbage.My daughter hates what we're doing, and I don't enjoy doing it, but it has to be done.

Winston Churchill

Was it "touchy-feely, feel good garbage" for her entire childhood and "tough love" is a recent thing?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I've always been a proponant of tough love, whereas my wife was the touchy- feely one. The touchy-feely stuff worked great with my oldest who is a 4.0 gpa college senior. My youngest daughter is much stronger willed, and while she was fine until a year ago or so, things went down hill when she was a sopohomore in High School. The school she attends has over 2500 students and it's easy to get lost in the system. She has made some poor choices for friends, and when we noticed a problem starting, we went to a counselor who advised that we needed to "give her some freedom" and let her work things out on her own. I realize what bad advice that was, and now we are trying to reighn-in what we have allowed to develop.

Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by keith758
    Whitewolf, it seems as though the only thing that really works is the "tough love" approach. I've had enough of the touchy-feely, feel good garbage.My daughter hates what we're doing, and I don't enjoy doing it, but it has to be done.
    That is what I'm workin' on around her with a tough love approach. I didn't want to hurt her feelings but that is the only way I can do. I ignored her counselor's advices because she seems to let any kid do whatever they want to do and it's not right. Probation officer and I agree we have to do something tough on her. I should never, ever listen to her counselor's advices. She is being too soft on my daughter and I'm pissed off. Now it seems out of control at the middle school and parents are furious at either counselors or weak-hearted, spoiling teachers. Where was the rule for teachers to be tougher on kids like in the past that we had good teachers back then? Her middle school has 3,200 pupils and counting. They supposed to stop bringing in more. Nutrition and lunch are worse. My daughter tried to get in line to get something to eat but too many kids crowded around in the cafeteria, the idea of her principal assistant's doesn't work.

So today, she seems to improve a little bit. She minds me more than before. Still it isn't enuff. She needs to improve over-all: her attitude, her behavior, her self-esteem, etc. And today, the phone was ringing off the hook and she learned to ignore by turning off the ringer setting. She told them not to call her back because I'm an angry "bee mommy." Grr! I wish the school board just fire all the "I-can't-discipline-them" teachers and replace them with the stricter ones. I don't think it will ever work. Do I like the teachers? Heck no, my car was almost rear-ended by some stupidity teachers almost every morning! <sigh>

I wish the school board just fire all the "I-can't-discipline-them" teachers and replace them with the stricter ones.
    Sorry but they can't discipline them even if they wanted to. They'd get sued or charged with abuse.. or racism.. or intolerance of religion... or sexism... or homophobia etc.. etc..
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    Sorry but they can't discipline them even if they wanted to. They'd get sued or charged with abuse.. or racism.. or intolerance of religion... or sexism... or homophobia etc.. etc..
    It's suck to live in this world now. What else will they gonna do next? Let the kids take over the planet like the old Star Trek episode?

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Latest "drama:" Underage drinking cite, $173.00 last Friday. She came home loaded and I had the city cite her. Hopefully, someday she'll "get it."

Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information