Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

New Work Schedule

My Department is switching to a new work schedule for next year, they are going with the 4 and 2 schedule. I guess it's way better than working what we have now, 6 and 2. We have been working this type of schedule ever since I started here, 6 and 2 rotating days off every 6th week or so we get 2 three day weekends in a row. With the 4 and 2, days off rotate backwards we lose our 3 day weekends but every 5th week we get a saturday and sunday off. What types of schedules do some of you work?
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    I am surprised your department was able to do 6 day work week with out paying Overtime. Isn't there federal laws (FSLA) that allow only so many hours per a 7 day work week? I know for us we had to have 2 days off in a 7 day period, working 8:35 hour tours. How many hours are your tours?

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Blue 4 U View Post
    I am surprised your department was able to do 6 day work week with out paying Overtime. Isn't there federal laws (FSLA) that allow only so many hours per a 7 day work week? I know for us we had to have 2 days off in a 7 day period, working 8:35 hour tours. How many hours are your tours?
    Right now 8 hour tours for 3 watches. Next year we're doing 8 1/2 hour tours our start times will change and the different watches will overlap, I hope they have enough cars.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I pull three 13.5 hour shifts. I get four days off every week
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I love our 6 on/3 off rotation, you can plan out your entire year for what weekends you have off and you always have 3 days off (unless OT Call In etc.)

8.5 hour shift, works out in the end for a average fo 39.5 hour work week
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

covman454 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    A year and a half ago, we went to a 5 on / 3 off schedule from a 5 on / 2 off schedule. We work nine hour days with an extra half hour added to the beginning and end of the shift, thereby creating an overlap which decreases the amount of OT paid by the city.

The downside to this schedule is your hours per pay period varies from 72 to 90, depending on the way the schedule falls. To counteract the pay difference, we are paid as if we work 80 so we get the same pay every two weeks. Any hours over 9 in a day are OT.

The year ends with us owing the city 24 hours. We agreed to train for 24 hours over the course of the year to pay the city back.

Overall, this has been an awesome schedule for us. The patrol division uses it, while the chief, detective, and SRO's work a Mon-Fri schedule. Our department has 13 on this schedule with two to three per shift.

Covman

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    I love our schedule... We work a 4 on 4 off schedule with 11 hour shifts

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We do a 6 on 3 off, 8.5 hr shifts.

I don't like it. I'd rather just work 12 hr shifts to get more days off.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information