Welcome to the APBWeb.
    OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO

God Bless Our Boys in Blue:---STATE AND FEDERAL BREAKDOWN OF LAW OFFICERS' DEATHS

STATE AND FEDERAL BREAKDOWN OF LAW OFFICERS' DEATHS

*Figures updated April 3, 2006.

On average, one law enforcement officer is killed somewhere in America every 53 hours. The first known line-of-duty death occurred in 1792, when New York's Deputy Sheriff Isaac Smith was shot and killed. Since then, over 17,500 officers have died while performing their duties. New York City has lost more officers than any other department, with 686 deaths. The state with the highest number of police deaths is California, with 1,401. Vermont has the fewest deaths, with 19. A complete state-by-state breakdown follows.

ALABAMA 416
    ALASKA 41
    ARKANSAS 208
    ARIZONA 230
    CALIFORNIA 1401
    COLORADO 231
    CONNECTICUT 125
    DELAWARE 33
    DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA 121
    FLORIDA 668
    GEORGIA 502
    HAWAII 46
    IDAHO 52
    ILLINOIS 911
    INDIANA 344
    IOWA 145
    KANSAS 216
    KENTUCKY 356
    LOUISIANA 355
    MAINE 80
    MARYLAND 251
    MASSACHUSETTS 289
    MICHIGAN 526
    MINNESOTA 205
    MISSISSIPPI 192
    MISSOURI 594
    MONTANA 109
    NEBRASKA 121
    NEVADA 71
    NEW HAMPSHIRE 29
    NEW JERSEY 437
    NEW MEXICO 124
    NEW YORK 1264
    NORTH CAROLINA 389
    NORTH DAKOTA 45
    OKLAHOMA 385
    OREGON 157
    OHIO 713
    PENNSYLVANIA 678
    RHODE ISLAND 41
    SOUTH CAROLINA 267
    SOUTH DAKOTA 47
    TENNESSEE 404
    TEXAS 1270
    UTAH 100
    VERMONT 19
    VIRGINIA 365
    WASHINGTON 254
    WEST VIRGINIA 140
    WISCONSIN 239
    WYOMING 44
    TERRITORIES 337
    FEDERAL AGENCIES 905
    MILITARY 38

TOTAL: 17,535
    Figures updated 4/3/06.

info taken from http://www.nleomf.com/TheMemorial/Facts/state.htm

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    This must be deaths throughout the entire history of the states, right?

Any deaths on duty are terrible, but if you think about it, that ain't that bad considering the number of officers employed during that entire time. I'd still rather be a cop than a coal miner. It's safer.

Also, at least on my dept., we've lost more officers through traffic accidents than contacts with criminals in the past 50 years even though they are counted in those stats.

Don't get me wrong, I've been to way too many police funerals to minimize the dangers, but I also think we need to keep it in perspective.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    This must be deaths throughout the entire history of the states, right?

Any deaths on duty are terrible, but if you think about it, that ain't that bad considering the number of officers employed during that entire time. I'd still rather be a cop than a coal miner. It's safer.

Also, at least on my dept., we've lost more officers through traffic accidents than contacts with criminals in the past 50 years even though they are counted in those stats.

Don't get me wrong, I've been to way too many police funerals to minimize the dangers, but I also think we need to keep it in perspective.
    I agree with you 100%. Their is nothing I would rather do than ben an officer!

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca
    I agree with you 100%. Their is nothing I would rather do than ben an officer!

Really?

I'd be happy with running the playboy empire and living at the mansion, and being rich. However, I'll settle for what I have.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cntryboy0531
    Really?

I'd be happy with running the playboy empire and living at the mansion, and being rich. However, I'll settle for what I have.
    Good Point. That does sound a bit better than dealing with crack heads

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Any deaths on duty are terrible, but if you think about it, that ain't that bad considering the number of officers employed during that entire time... Don't get me wrong, I've been to way too many police funerals to minimize the dangers, but I also think we need to keep it in perspective.
    Yeah, like in a city the size of Dallas, we have between 200 and 700 civilians murdered each year, but usually only couple of police officer deaths, not all of them murdered.

The difference in my mind though is that generally the civilians are murdered while going about their daily business, which is a risk we all take, whereas the police deaths usually occur while they're helping people in some way... Whether that's helping someone on the side of the road or arresting a suspect - So most of those deaths I would classify as heroic hecause you already know the dangers going in.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    So most of those deaths I would classify as heroic hecause you already know the dangers going in.
    ALL of those deaths are heroic!

Verified LEO
    ALL of those deaths are heroic!
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, but at least a couple of our officers died from being stupid. They were died in one car crashes where they were driving way to fast for the conditions. Nearly everyone thinks they are better drivers than they really are and cops are sometimes the worst.

Both were responding to calls, but not calls in which other officers were calling for help. One was a burglary in progress and another was a robbery call. Both deaths were needless and no one was responsible except the officers themselves.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Verified LEO
    I still stand by my comment. Rather it was from an error in driving or not they were driving fast to try and get to a call to help someone! to me that makes them Heroic!

Verified LEO
    I still stand by my comment. Rather it was from an error in driving or not they were driving fast to try and get to a call to help someone! to me that makes them Heroic!
    We''ll have to disagree on that one. There can be a fine line between being a hero and a fool. And I've seen too many cops cross it. Being dead on the side of road helps no one. All it does is tie up other officers who could have been real help to others.

Passing a civil service test and getting hired doesn't automatically make anyone a hero in my book. I've worked with and known some authetic heroes and done the same with some real fools. And they wore identical uniforms.

Verified LEO
    We''ll have to disagree on that one. There can be a fine line between being a hero and a fool. And I've seen too many cops cross it. Being dead on the side of road helps no one. All it does is tie up other officers who could have been real help to others.

Passing a civil service test and getting hired doesn't automatically make anyone a hero in my book. I've worked with and known some authetic heroes and done the same with some real fools. And they wore identical uniforms.

I respect your point of view. But we will have to agree to disagree!

I see Reca's point...

One thing I can relate this to in the civilian world is when the CHL holder in Tyler, TX was killed trying to stop the POS with the AK-47 & body armor who attacked the Tyler courthouse last year.

Was the CHL holder a hero? Absolutely.
    Did the CHL holder commit a tactical error that caused his death?: Yes, but he's still a hero.

(the CHL holder pumped several shots into the POS, but forgot to follow that up by a shot to the head, which is basic tactics 101 - So the body armor made his efforts ineffective, and the POS shot him with the AK).
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 04-07-06 at 03:01 PM.

(\__/)

Verified LEO
    Okay, I'm gonna rant for a minute and then I'll shut up.

First, I spent several years of my 27 riding a desk where the biggest risk I had was getting a paper cut or hurting myself with a stapler. I'll be the first to admit that.

And I only spent 10 years in uniform. However the first 5 years of that was before we were issued body armor. I was also working in our ghetto and race riots were still going on. And they weren't like today's anti war protesters who are middle class white assholes who just want to do some vandalism. They were out to do some damage to our white police asses. Also during the first 6 years, on 4 different occasions I walked into "routine" situations where some asshole pulled a gun out and pointed it at me while I was flatfooted. I'm grateful I had some boyish charm and a glib tongue, but that's all that I had to talk the dipshit out of shooting me and handing me the gun.

I was in two shootings where I was the shooter, I was stabbed by an irate hooker with a sharpened letter opener and got a lung punctured.

I worked drugs for 4 years, one deep UC buying heroin and three working nothing but meth labs and meth heads. In that time I did a lot of high risk search warrants. A couple of snitches told me there was a bounty on my head, but they didn't' know how much and I never really worried about that. I was only worried when I was investigating some of my fellow officers for doing drugs. They scared me. They all got fired and one went to jail, btw. So much for heroes.

Now I know there are some here who have done things I haven't done, but probably not too many.

That was my qualification, here's my rant. I get sick and tired of reading the self congratulatory shit about being a cop. If you think your job is so death defying, follow an iron worker around on his job someday working on high steel. Or work for one day as a bicycle messenger in a major city. Yeah, our job is dangerous, but it's not the worst by any measure.

We give firefighters shit and some is deserved, but they can have it. I recall driving by a house fire once where fire was coming out of a couple of windows on a two story house. Three firemen were on the roof with axes cutting a hole to vent it. I can guarantee you that it would have taken more firemen than that just to get me up there! I can shoot or bullshit a guy with a gun, but I can do neither with a burning building.

I worked next to two dip shits that routinely scared the hell out of me when I worked uniform in a hillbilly, redneck district. They drove like maniacs on every dumb ass call. Whenever I was called to back them up or vice versa on something like a bar fight or a DV, I was leery as hell all the way to the call because I knew they would be driving like madmen. They were far more dangerous to the citizens than some of the people we took to jail. Barfights are almost always over before the dispatcher gets the call out and DV's are DV's. They were going on long before we were called and if we don't jail one, they'll continue after we leave. Both these guys fortunately made Lt fairly quickly and we no longer such a menace on the streets. Maybe some think they were heroes because they drove way like that to get to hot calls, but I don't. I'd much rather my backup show up than risk a crash.

Of the two guys I talked about dying in one car crashes, one I didn't know, but the other I did. He was a reckless driver long before that wreck. We're trained (or supposed to be) to drive with due caution for the situation. I'm just glad the crashes were one car and they didn't kill innocent people who happened to be in their way. And no one was hurt at the scene of the call they were driving so damn fast to either.

The uniform makes no one a hero. It means you passed a series of test and a background check, period. Heroes are judged on their actions, particularly under duress. I've known cops who used incredible courage, cool and intelligence in hot situations. I've seen others who behaved like juvenile idiots. There's a thread here about the cop who released the guy because it was time to get off duty, anyone here consider him a hero? AS I've said before, if you have never met a cop that was an asshole, you've not met very many cops.

Yes, the job is dangerous. You need to be careful and utilize your training. You have to watch each others' backs. But don't be idiots and ignore common sense. Don't drive over your ability and beyond what road conditions allow. A cop in a crashed car is useless to anyone. Don't endanger other officers by trying to be a hero and not follow established procedures. And invaribly when that happens, some other officer is killed or injured. And you are no hero to anyone.

If someone else says, "Guys, you're doing a great job, thank you", that's one thing. But if another cop comes up to me after and incident and says "Wow, weren't we great", that's tiresome. No offense intended to anyone, but please, let's stop patting ourselves on the asses and trying to convince ourselves our wonderful we are. The narcissism is nauseating.
    Last edited by Retdetsgt; 04-07-06 at 05:07 PM.

I worked next to two dip shits that routinely scared the hell out of me when I worked uniform in a hillbilly, redneck district. They drove like maniacs on every dumb ass call. Whenever I was called to back them up or vice versa on something like a bar fight or a DV, I was leery as hell all the way to the call because I knew they would be driving like madmen. They were far more dangerous to the citizens than some of the people we took to jail.
    Our chief apparently thinks that only volunteers and reservists do that, which is his whole reason for not allowing a Reserve program - When cops start getting a paycheck, that magically puts them under his spell, and they behave themselves, I thought
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 04-07-06 at 03:39 PM.

(\__/)

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Our chief apparently thinks that only volunteers and reservists do that, which is his whole reason for not allowing a Reserve program - When cops start getting a paycheck, that magically puts them under his spell, and they behave themselves, I thought
    I don't like reserve programs either, but that's a different subject. How would you like someone coming to where you work and doing the job for free?

I admire your chief, he has ethics and believes people should be paid to do this job. But start another thread if you want to discuss reserves.
    Last edited by Retdetsgt; 04-07-06 at 03:52 PM.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    I think im a hero because I can pay my bills with what the county pays me

But besides that I have known and will continue to know dumbass cops. I wish all of them a safe shift but sometimes it suprises me that they make it through some of the calls they answer. But I can see some of Jims points
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Thread Information