Welcome to the APBWeb.
    KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO

Talking Ride Along in Norway - With pictures

I am going to Norway this afternoon for Easter break and to see my grandpa who is sick with terminal brain cancer. I just called the Police department in my hometown, explained who I was, and asked about the chances of a ride along with them. The commander said they don't have any official programs but that I was more than welcome to stop in and see him when I get there, and he would do his best to get me out with a patrol.

I also called the Oslo Police (capital) and they requested I send them an email. He said being that it's Easter week, he couldn't promise anything as they are short staffed, but being that I'm coming from this far away, maybe they would make an exception. My dad also knows the head of the intelligence part of the department, so he will talk to him and see if I can get hooked up that way.

Either way, I'm excited. I'll take pictures so you can see what
    Norwegian cops and uniforms look like.
    Last edited by KaiGywer; 04-12-06 at 06:20 AM.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Cool!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    They celebrate Easter in Norway??
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cris1102 Guest
    Sorry to hear about your Grandfather KaiGwyer. Thats really sad.

I hope you enjoy you time in Norway and good luck with getting a ride along.

deputy29 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Hope you get to do your ride a long.

Verified LEO
    Hey guys. Norway calling Thanks for the encouragement about my grandpa. He is in pretty bad shape. His head is clear, but he can't express everything...must be frustrating. He was really happy to see me though, so it was worth it to see a big smile on a dying man.

I did get a ride along yesterday (well, today for you guys) and I'll upload some pics when I wake up. It is, afterall, 5:58 AM here and I should be sleeping.
    ΑΦΣ

Verified LEO
    OK OK, I'm awake

Here are some of the pictures I took last night.
    I started the night with the dayshift in this car:

Volvo V70

Not much happened. Had a complaint of loose dogs, and a domestic. The domestic was charged as assault, as it wasn't a family member, just a man visiting that punched the son. After this call, dayshift was almost over, so I got placed with the nightshift, and we drove this:

Mercedes Vito

Since Norwegian police cars don't have cages, one of the two officers will sit in the backseat with the arrestee, or they call the van for transport. This is the cell in the van:

They also have this older van:

While with second shift, we had to go to a neighboring city to assist with a warrant. They were going to search the house, so had nobody to transfer the arrestee to jail. So we were called. City 1 is 15 minutes from us, and from there it was 40 minutes to jail, before driving 25 minutes back to our city... gotta love centralization. Before the reform, every city had their own jail. Now there is one centralized county jail.

A little later (after dinner), I was again placed with two new officers in the Volvo. One of them agreed to pose for me with a K9 (not his, he just let it out for some running in the garage).

Last call we went to was a possible domestic, but ended up just being a loud party. Three people just having a little bit too much fun. Told them to quiet down.

After this the shift was over, and we went back to the station.

The city I rode with was Sandefjord, which is part of Vestfold Politidistrikt.
    ΑΦΣ

Thread Information