Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO

Patrol - The Essential Heart of Police Work

Rather than distract the thread about the Lakewood shooting -- I'm starting a new thread.

In that incident -- a patrol officer found and dealt with the suspect. Just like a trooper on patrol duties caught Timothy McVeigh. Just like a patrol officer responded to the Ft. Hood shooting and dealt with that. And there are plenty of more examples.

Patrol is often called the backbone of a police department, because the backbone is an essential element of a human being. But I disagree with that description. Patrol isn't the backbone; the backbone is a key support for the body, but you can live with a damaged backbone. Patrol is the heart of police work; patrol officers are the daily face of the department to the public. Odds are that if a person has contact with an officer -- it's going to be a patrol officer. Patrol is almost always the first to arrive on scene -- and often the last to leave the scene. Cases are more often than not solved by information patrol officers obtain, often before the first detective is even notified... Their's a reason that the rest of the department is considered to be Support Operations, to support patrol.

Too many times officers see patrol as only the start of a career; too often a patrol officer is seen as "just" a patrol officer, as if they would have become a detective or done some specialty or another if they were any good. Officers too often focus on getting out of the uniform, out of patrol... I've seen too many detectives who don't remember their roots -- or people in specialties who are only there because they couldn't really hack patrol.

I'm currently assigned as a detective. I've got probably a little over a year left in my position, and I have every expectation of going back to the road, back to pushing a cruiser, answering calls... And I'm looking forward to it! I miss the variety of the work; I miss the freedom of working the road. I miss being the first one there... I miss the camaraderie with my squad, pulling up side-by-side and bullshitting...

Let's all remember that without an effective patrol section -- the rest of the department isn't going to be effective, either!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    You hit the nail on the head.

Unfortunately many police administrators forget that quite often.

I could never imagine doing anything other than what I'm doing now (in terms of LE). I'd never want to be an investigator, or Sgt, etc. Gotta be on the street, taking calls.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    +1000

When something big happens, good or bad, I tell officers "Those guys sat in roll call and picked at each other, shared a cup of coffee and went in service just like we are doing now. An hour from now something you do might change the course of American history... ask the guys that were on scene with Rodney King." I've also used the story of the McVeigh trooper, who stayed focused on his job even with the horrible things that had happened. Patrol IS the heart and soul of the department, along with the most visible and representative part of the department. Sometimes officers need to be reminded of the gravity of that job, good and bad because they tend to view themselves as "just a patrolman".
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You are right
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    Patrol is like the infantry. There are specialized units, support units, but it all revolves around the officer shagging calls for service. I look at my MDC at the end of the shift, and count the calls. Yeah, 80% are BS, but it's that other 20% that make this the job it is. Nothing wrong with wanting to advance, but it seems the really good guys always end up coming back to patrol.
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Well said.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Rather than distract the thread about the Lakewood shooting -- I'm starting a new thread.

In that incident -- a patrol officer found and dealt with the suspect. Just like a trooper on patrol duties caught Timothy McVeigh. Just like a patrol officer responded to the Ft. Hood shooting and dealt with that. And there are plenty of more examples.

Patrol is often called the backbone of a police department, because the backbone is an essential element of a human being. But I disagree with that description. Patrol isn't the backbone; the backbone is a key support for the body, but you can live with a damaged backbone. Patrol is the heart of police work; patrol officers are the daily face of the department to the public. Odds are that if a person has contact with an officer -- it's going to be a patrol officer. Patrol is almost always the first to arrive on scene -- and often the last to leave the scene. Cases are more often than not solved by information patrol officers obtain, often before the first detective is even notified... Their's a reason that the rest of the department is considered to be Support Operations, to support patrol.

Too many times officers see patrol as only the start of a career; too often a patrol officer is seen as "just" a patrol officer, as if they would have become a detective or done some specialty or another if they were any good. Officers too often focus on getting out of the uniform, out of patrol... I've seen too many detectives who don't remember their roots -- or people in specialties who are only there because they couldn't really hack patrol.

I'm currently assigned as a detective. I've got probably a little over a year left in my position, and I have every expectation of going back to the road, back to pushing a cruiser, answering calls... And I'm looking forward to it! I miss the variety of the work; I miss the freedom of working the road. I miss being the first one there... I miss the camaraderie with my squad, pulling up side-by-side and bullshitting...

Let's all remember that without an effective patrol section -- the rest of the department isn't going to be effective, either!

this couldnt be said any better. i have so much to say about this topic that i wouldnt even know where to begin. so ill just say that the above is perfect.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    I came back to the road in 2006 after being a detective for 3.5 years. Everybody thought I was crazy, but I missed the road. Sure detectives were interesting, but I find patrol to be more satisfying in many respects. Even with all the silliness. Excellent post.

Don't forget the night shift cop who caught Eric Rudolph after all those years of Federal agents, military and what not looking for him.

covman454 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I've been patrol for almost 5 years now, and I can't imagine doing anything else. I have absolutely no interest is the support positions or admin. I'm set to go to day shift patrol next summer and even this has me torn because of the bs the day guys put up with. The support postions have a purpose, but what was it that came first, patrol or investigations?

Covman

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by covman454 View Post
    I've been patrol for almost 5 years now, and I can't imagine doing anything else. I have absolutely no interest is the support positions or admin. I'm set to go to day shift patrol next summer and even this has me torn because of the bs the day guys put up with. The support postions have a purpose, but what was it that came first, patrol or investigations?

Covman
    Please send your information for verificaton to Pudge or CountyBear per TOS. PM also sent. Welcome back.

http://officerresource.com/forums/f1...-o-area-38336/

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I'm the Chief at my dept and no matter how many people work for me, you can always find me on patrol!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

doubs is offline Dirt Road Deputy
    Verified LEO
    Patrol is the most important for sure. There has to be someone taking calls for service.

Thread Information