Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Winter time shingle repair

Can anyone tell me if I can repair/replace shingles in the winter time?

The porch on the side of my house has developed quite the little ice dam that has damaged some shingles, which in return, has caused a leak down the window frame and wall, and down to the floor.

I just got inside from raking the snow off the roof and chipping and pouring salt on the ice dam to get it removed (hopefully).

If I have to I can rake it all winter long, but I'd rather fix the problem than put a band aid on a gunshot wound.

Thoughts?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Jmur...do you know how to weave shingles? And will it ever get above freezing for you in the next few weeks?

Those two questions are key....if you try to weave shingles in sub freezing weather, you will probably break them or hole them with the roofing nails. Even if you use a broad belled heating torch, it can be a problem.

If your roof is comp, that is. If it is rolled comp or another type, you may be able to work it out. What do you have on your roof?

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Jmur...do you know how to weave shingles? And will it ever get above freezing for you in the next few weeks?

Those two questions are key....if you try to weave shingles in sub freezing weather, you will probably break them or hole them with the roofing nails. Even if you use a broad belled heating torch, it can be a problem.

If your roof is comp, that is. If it is rolled comp or another type, you may be able to work it out. What do you have on your roof?

Car 4
    No, and No. But my dad has done roofing in the past and is an all around general handy man. I haven't gotten ahold of him yet so I figured I'd start here!

It's a shingled roof, beyond that I dunno. I don't know anything about roofing.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Yes, you can do shingle work in the winter. However, repairing after an ice dam isn't what I'd suggest as a first shingling job... Talk to your father -- but you may be better off finding a pro that, among other things, is bonded and insured and can take the blame if it fails. Especially if you ever may sell the house...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Yes, you can do shingle work in the winter. However, repairing after an ice dam isn't what I'd suggest as a first shingling job... Talk to your father -- but you may be better off finding a pro that, among other things, is bonded and insured and can take the blame if it fails. Especially if you ever may sell the house...

ha.

It's for sale right now. Which is why I want it fixed asap.

He's experienced at it, although obviously not bonded and insured like a professional would be. I've since gotten ahold of him since starting this thread. He said he has done it before in the winter and can help me with it.

I've already got plywood in case it's rotted, and a ton of shingles in my garage.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    You might consider a new steel roof. Snow and ice do not cling to steel as well as asphalt or wood shingles. As the old roof comes off, you can add insulation before the new plywood, tar-paper (vapor barrier) and streel. Did this on a house in snow country that had asphalt shingle and ice dams. Also reduced the insurance, and upped the resale value.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Thread Information