Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snow storm 2009

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO

Snow storm 2009

As of 01:30 we have over 12" and it's still putting it down. Totals will be 16"-20" by the time it quits.

Unfortunately I had to work in it today. I worked a stretch of road for over 3 hours. It was wreck after wreck. I even parked my marked unit with all the lights going....and people still went around it and got stuck. Fortunatley a local with a tractor got everyone unstuck. It got so bad that we were told to go to (1 north and 1 south) headquarters and wait out the storm. We only responded to emergency call and only to wrecks with injury.

Luckily I have the next 3 off....I'll post pics tomorrow.

PS - this kind of snow in my area is pretty rare. This area with be shut down for days.....

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Send some my way. It snowed once at my house so far and only lasted the night
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    This just goes to show us that people who live in areas of the country that don't usually get snow will invariably get stuck or get in collisions because they don't know how to drive in the stuff. Thus shutting the roads down to a standstill.

I have a friend that was coming from Utah at the time to visit his parents near Redding, CA. He was driving over Donner Summit on I 80 where there were chain requirements in effect (not sure if it was R1 or R2) and he was waved through, even though he had chains.

Someone complained to LE that was motioning people over to put on their chains and he overheard the officer tell that motorist to look at my friend's Utah license plates on his pick-up. Theorizing that Utah drivers most likely will know how to drive in the snow and California drivers normally won't.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    As of 01:30 we have over 12" and it's still putting it down. Totals will be 16"-20" by the time it quits.

Unfortunately I had to work in it today. I worked a stretch of road for over 3 hours. It was wreck after wreck.
    I was going to ask...here we call it Accident Alert. When the watch commander puts us on accident alert, we WILL NOT respond out to accidents unless there are injuries (or unknown injury), DUI related, or Hit/Run. Of course, this doesn't stop every passerby from calling in every car they see on the side of the road as an "unknown injury" wreck.

We have an elevated interstate...that sucker gets SLICK. After a wreck or four during our last storm, we made dispatch ASK callers if they could verify for sure if there were injuries. More often than not, they were passerby and could not. Unless there were verifiable injuries, we woudn't respond.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Hope everyone stays safe!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    We're supposed to get anywhere from 9 to 14 inches of snow in my area today and it's fairly unusual to get such a heavy snowfall, particularly this early. We generally get maybe one or two heavy snowfalls each winter. It hasn't started snowing yet but it's very overcast. I hate snow.

Please be careful!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Oh I love that stuff.

Two years ago we got 33" in a 24 hr period, and during our first storm this year we got 15" in a 24 hr period. I didn't work in the storm two years ago, but I worked in it this year. It was a blast.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Oh I love that stuff.

Two years ago we got 33" in a 24 hr period, and during our first storm this year we got 15" in a 24 hr period. I didn't work in the storm two years ago, but I worked in it this year. It was a blast.

Verified LEO
    Snow totals are about 18" and I think it's over.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Oh I love that stuff.

I'd want to move to another state after that.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    I was going to ask...here we call it Accident Alert. When the watch commander puts us on accident alert, we WILL NOT respond out to accidents unless there are injuries (or unknown injury), DUI related, or Hit/Run. Of course, this doesn't stop every passerby from calling in every car they see on the side of the road as an "unknown injury" wreck.

We have an elevated interstate...that sucker gets SLICK. After a wreck or four during our last storm, we made dispatch ASK callers if they could verify for sure if there were injuries. More often than not, they were passerby and could not. Unless there were verifiable injuries, we woudn't respond.
    We do the same sort of thing; "accident policy" meaning that we will only respond to crashes with injury or if they can't get the cars out of the roadway.

But there is something worth considering about the general issue of knowing how to drive in the snow...

Snow is different in different places. In the DC area, it tends to be wetter and compress down to ice very easily. Which means that even though people "know how to drive in the snow", they end up having trouble because it ain't snow -- it's ice. Dry snow is different to deal with than wet, sleet/snow mixes are different, and so on...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO

Verified LEO

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    I miss the snow and other seasons. I don't; however, miss the shoveling and the eventual snowplow covering my driveway back up. I had a neighbor that covered my driveway with his snowblower once. I went to my basement that night, got my water hose and coated his car, driveway and anywhere else the water would reach. Needless to say, he never did that shit again.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I live in a townhouse community; the "road" is really just a glorified parking lot. Some dumbass neighbors are so concerned with digging their cars out that they're piling all the snow back into the roadway... 'cause nobody wants to like DRIVE or anything, right?

Of course I don't give a damn! My work ride happens to have 4-wheel drive... and my POV is all-wheel drive. Though I admit, I'm going to grin when they finally bring a plow in for another pass and those idiots find themselves behind a wall of snow and ice!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Good grief! If we had that much snow, the only thing that would be moving down here would be ATVs. We would almost be stone age.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Good grief! If we had that much snow, the only thing that would be moving down here would be ATVs. We would almost be stone age.
    Aren't you about in the stone age anyways?

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Wow, you need to come visit sometime. We have paved roads, cable TV and even cell phones. Then again, that still might be too backwards for a state where the Governor considers selling autographed car parts to support the budget, but you might enjoy it anyway.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Wow, you need to come visit sometime. We have paved roads, cable TV and even cell phones. Then again, that still might be too backwards for a state where the Governor considers selling autographed car parts to support the budget, but you might enjoy it anyway.
    A nearby city actually only has about 25 percent of its roads paved Pursuits there can get interesting sometimes in the winter on a dirt road

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I think that there's 11 inches of snow in my town. Now I get to clean off my car and move it from the lot so the plow can come through. When I looked outside a little while ago, my steps and walkway had already been shoveled. I think the HOA should clean off the cars, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information