Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO

Getting Verizon - What kind of phone to get?

With my move to North Dakota, I have came to the conclusion that AT&T and rural North Dakota are not friends. It works fine in Bismarck proper, but outside of town (on the interstate even) it gets bad really fast. So I'm left with the choices of Verizon and Alltel.

Looking at coverage I'm gonna go with Verizon, but I'm not sure what kind of phone to get. I looked at the BB Storm 2 and Moto Droid. I really don't like the interface on the BB, but I have friends who are very happy with them. I played around with the Droid in the store, and I think I like it so far.

Does anyone here have either phone and what do you think? It would be an iPhone replacement, so I'm looking for something that does everything the iPhone does (however, I will be keeping the iPhone and just pretend it's an iPod Touch)
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The Android system on the Droid and the Droid Eris is growing and becoming more and more sophisticated. The app store for the Android is also growing exponentially. Many Iphone developers are writing their apps now for Android too. You can't go wrong with either phone. I'm running a home baked version of Android on my HTC phone with T-Mobile and love it.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

213th is offline Solipsist
    I've never had a smart phone with verizon, but my older brother tells me that they lock apps, then charge per app for access
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Jim1348 is online now Rookie
    Verified LEO

Page Plus Cellular

If you like to save money, you owe it to yourself to take a look at Page Plus Cellular. They are a Verizon MVNO. For $40 a month you can get unlimited, for less per month you still can get quite a few minutes. You just get your own Verizon phone and activate it on Page Plus Cellular. You can read up on Howard Forums if you have any questions.

Prepaid Cell Phone Cards | Prepaid National Cell Phones

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I've never had a smart phone with verizon, but my older brother tells me that they lock apps, then charge per app for access
    I don't think so with the Droids. You aren't using VZNavigator and the other Verizon apps with that.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Get a Droid. Heard nothing but good things so far. I'm getting one as soon as I'm eligible for my New Every 2 in April.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Droid!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Droid!
    Did you get yours yet?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Did you get yours yet?
    I have a few more months on my contract with my EnV2, but I spent an hour playing with one at the Verizon store when I was Christmas shopping.

I'm hooked.

Plus, Verizon works everywhere I go.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    jailbreak your iPhone and use that
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    jailbreak your iPhone and use that
    Very common misconception....iPhone is a GSM phone and only works with T-Mobile and AT&T. Verizon uses CDMA, so is not compatible with the iPhone, or pretty much any phone from outside the US.
    ΑΦΣ

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    Very common misconception....iPhone is a GSM phone and only works with T-Mobile and AT&T. Verizon uses CDMA, so is not compatible with the iPhone, or pretty much any phone from outside the US.
    The 3G bands on AT&T and TMO are different too. You can use the iphone on TMO but you won't get 3G, just Edge. Vice versa too, my HTC Magic will run on AT&T but I won't get 3G.

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    I checked out my nephews Verizon Motorola Droid phone over Christmas. The web browsing is very very fast. Much faster than my Sprint BB.

Verified LEO
    Looks like everybody is recommending the Droid. I'll probably get one of those then It has some really cool features, such as built in turn by turn GPS.
    ΑΦΣ

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Just got the ENV 3...maybe I'll upgrade to Droid in 20 months...

PS. Since you're another Verizon customer, if you get lucky, you just might get some interesting texts from RSA, if you choose to...
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    Looks like everybody is recommending the Droid. I'll probably get one of those then It has some really cool features, such as built in turn by turn GPS.
    I've played a bit with the turn by turn Google.

It's nicest feature is the ability to search something on the Internet, find the address, and have it navigate you there. The navigation is nice, and it's polished. But your standard Garmin or Tom Tom is much nicer. It's better than nothing but keep in mind if you have weak or no Internet signal, you won't get maps downloaded as you travel.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    My wife and I just got DROIDS (I don't know if it's still on, but we paid $99.99 after rebates for both of them, it was buy one get one, then the rebate). Now, so you know my background, my last phone was my very first phone with a camera and my very first that flipped open/closed. I like simple. I just want my phone to make calls.

Now, that said, my country mouse, one-step-above-amish-on-the-technology-ladder, breaks every computer I ever use, self likes it. We have the DROID Eris (the HTC version). Pretty user friendly. The manual leaves something to be desired and there are some things I can't believe a phone this advanced can't do (like sending some longer videos by text message), but overall I like it.

The only real complaint i've had is that trying to call someone using the touch screen blows. The "button" to make and end calls is a bit slow to respond so I end up hitting it 2 or 3 times, which then recalls the person I just ended the call with, or, in the case of me making a call, calls then hangs up. I guess I just gotta learn to be patient
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    The only real complaint i've had is that trying to call someone using the touch screen blows. The "button" to make and end calls is a bit slow to respond so I end up hitting it 2 or 3 times, which then recalls the person I just ended the call with, or, in the case of me making a call, calls then hangs up. I guess I just gotta learn to be patient
    Get AnyCut off the market and make shortcuts on your desktop to direct call frequent contacts. One touch of the icon on the desktop and the call goes out. It's easier than opening your contacts for frequent calls.

Verified LEO
    To dig deeper, I was at Verizon again today. I like the sleek looks of the Droid Eris, but I like the GPS navigation and the screen on the Moto Droid. Anybody have either phone?
    ΑΦΣ

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I have the Eris
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information