Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Small engine gurus wanted

I've got a toro snow blower that is giving me nothing but problems. It is a Toro single stage two stroke, with an electric start, or, a pull start.

It currently will not start.

In the recent past, cleaning the carb fixed the problem.

Two days ago, it ran out of gas. Before running out of gas, it started on the first pull (since I last cleaned the carb). Since running out of gas two days ago, it will not start.

I cleaned the carb today and it ran for a minute or two until it quit.

I put on a new fuel filter, cleaned the carb again, and it ran for about 3 seconds.

I put on a new prime bulb and primer line, and it started and ran for about 3 seconds.

When I prime it since putting on the fuel filter, I don't see gas dumping into the bowl. I hear a gurgly, bubbly air sound coming from the bowl. The fittings on the fuel line, filter, and primer line are as tight as they're gonna get....I don't think they can get any tighter.

The gas in it was bought and mixed yesterday, brand spankin' new.

Throughout the day today I've cleaned the main jet 4 or 5 times, and the carb as a whole 3 times with no real results.

But my biggest issue at the moment is that gas doesn't seem to be getting pulled into the carb, by priming it or once it starts running.

IDEAS?????? Cuz I'm out of 'em.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Also when I went to O'Reillys to get a new primer bulb and primer line, I came back to find the carb FULL of gas, despite the fact that it won't pull gas into it when I prime it.

Also, I have the jets (there is the main and the jet/screw/whatever it is that the float needle goes into) fairly tight. Does it matter how tight they are?

And one final note, the gas flows freely through the fuel line, no obstructions.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What's a snow blower?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Does the carb have a float in it?

If it does, is it stuck or does it sink?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Does the carb have a float in it?

If it does, is it stuck or does it sink?
    It does have a float.

It sinks, but I can hear a very faint clicking noise when I move it, so it may be catching when I put the bowl back on. But I cant really tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    What's a snow blower?
    It's like a "winter time lawnmower" but much more frustrating.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    It does have a float.

It sinks, but I can hear a very faint clicking noise when I move it, so it may be catching when I put the bowl back on. But I cant really tell.
    Replace float.

Float should "float" not sink.

Voila!
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Replace float.

Float should "float" not sink.

Voila!
    So when the snowblower is sitting on a flat surface the float should be in the "up" position? Correct?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So when the snowblower is sitting on a flat surface the float should be in the "up" position? Correct?
    If the float bowl is full of gas, yes.

If it sinks in gas, it's broke.

I'm your huckleberry...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Roger that.

Thanks for the help!!

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Mac's small engine repair service solves another case..........
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    I was JUST getting ready to say that,oh well Maclean is quicker.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    You get the gas out of your eye yet jmur?
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    You get the gas out of your eye yet jmur?
    It's out, but it's all red and a little puffy-ish. Shitty deal.

I went to O'Reillys because the primer wasn't putting gas in the bowl (as stated above.) And while I was gone, inexplicably, the bowl FILLED to the point of overflowing. Well I was so busy feeling technical and mechanical that I hadn't noticed the bowl had filled with gas (for reasons that I still don't know.) So, for no reason whatsoever I decided to pull the cord. Again, I have no idea why. But I did. Not a pull to start it, I just decided to pull on it. And that one jerky revolution of the piston caused the pool of gasoline in the bowl to splash up and out, directly into the face that was above it...mine.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    That sucks man.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    It's out, but it's all red and a little puffy-ish. Shitty deal.

I went to O'Reillys because the primer wasn't putting gas in the bowl (as stated above.) And while I was gone, inexplicably, the bowl FILLED to the point of overflowing. Well I was so busy feeling technical and mechanical that I hadn't noticed the bowl had filled with gas (for reasons that I still don't know.) So, for no reason whatsoever I decided to pull the cord. Again, I have no idea why. But I did. Not a pull to start it, I just decided to pull on it. And that one jerky revolution of the piston caused the pool of gasoline in the bowl to splash up and out, directly into the face that was above it...mine.
    Ouch! Hope your eye gets better soon!

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It isn't a true mechanical experience unless some injury happens. Just yesterday I cut my finger while replacing a heater core hose
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    It isn't a true mechanical experience unless some injury happens. Just yesterday I cut my finger while replacing a heater core hose
    Ouch! This just goes to show that the machines are out to get us! Hope your finger heals up quickly!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Did the bowl overfill with the new float, or the old one? I was thinking if the float is the one that sinks, that may be why the bowl almost overflowed, assuming that the float and valve plunger were installed and in good shape.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information