Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: LASIK Thread

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref

LASIK Thread

In an effort to keep from totally hijacking FSCF's post, I'm creating one about LASIK.

Who here has had the procedure done? Comments? Can you guys recommend any websites to check out with more information?
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I had it done. I had the wavefront option as well, which supposedly makes it more accurate and ends with better results. Cost me about $3,500 (I'm still paying it off) and I'd pay 4 times that for what it has done for me. I don't even think about what it was like having glasses or contacts any more, that's how good it is. Life changing. Do it!

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    I have been thinking about it. Obviously the money is an issue. It seems there are enough departments out there that I wouldn't have a problem with vision wise. I think I might wait until I'm working somewhere to have it done.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

FishTail Guest
    Both my aunt and uncle had it done last year and they say it's great. I'm certainly considering having it done.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I need reading glasses mostly, but am starting to need distance correction too.

I've been hearing a lot about the lens replacement surgery that's supposed to correct both conditions, but I think I'll let a few more guinea pigs try it out first, before I let anyone split my eyeball open

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    I need reading glasses mostly, but am starting to need distance correction too.

Due to the LASIK giving you issues or age?
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    Due to the LASIK giving you issues or age?
    Just due to age - I've been told that LASIK for my distance vision may make my reading vision worse.

Here's the lens surgery I was talking about - I hear Dr. Boothe's commercials on the radio every 15 minutes:
    http://www.boothelasercenter.com/crystalens.html

"Crystalens offers significant advantages over other kinds of lens implants and corrective lenses. Standard (single vision) lens implants donít have the ability to provide a full range of vision. Most people who have single vision lens implants MUST wear glasses for middle and near vision. Crystalens has the unique ability to focus on objects at varying distances using the eyeís natural muscle. This means the crystalens can provide sharper vision, without corrective lenses, throughout a full range of vision from near to far and everything in between.
    Crystalensí FDA one-year clinical study results indicate:
    • 92% of the people enrolled in the study (implanted bilaterally) could see 20/25 or better at distance
    • 96% could see 20/20 at armís length
    • 73% could see 20/25 at near
    • 98% of these people could pass their drivers test
    • 100% could see their computer or put on their makeup
    • 98% could read a magazine, all without glasses or contact lenses.
    Also, your ability to see at approximately armís length (middle vision) will be greatly enhanced with the Crystalens. In addition, the quality of vision compared to wearing bifocals and/or trifocals is significantly improved. Youíll have a full range of vision; by simply looking at something, crystalens, mimicking the natural focusing ability of your eye, will automatically focus your eye at near, armís length, or distance"

But I don't want my eyeballs split open

(\__/)

mxwelch is offline Kalashnikitty
    I had it done 8 years ago. Cost me $4.5K but worth every penny. I decided to get it done after a 60 year old co-worker who was almost legally blind with out his glasses went to 20/20 after the original surgery and a touch up. Welpe, you won't be sorry.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    My dad had LASIK and had one eye corrected for distance and one for reading, and says it works out great and doesn't feel weird, which surprised me.

I'll have to think about that one - But I guess it may help my shooting because I can focus on the target as well as the front sight

(\__/)

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Hi Welpe! I had the Lasik procedure done a couple of months ago and I wish I'd done it sooner. I haven't had any problems with a gritty or dry feeling in my eyes, and had no discomfort during the procedure, and only minimal discomfort afterward. I do have problems with night driving, though, I see oncoming headlights as "starbursts." From what the surgeon has told me, it could take up to 6 months for that to resolve itself.

Thread Information