Welcome to the APBWeb.
    mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO

N.F.L. out of control!!

This is crazy,the NFL has gone completely out of control.They are now claiming the "rights" to the words "WhoDat" and the image of the FleurDiLisOr they out of their collective minds???????Why didn't they claim it when the Saints were 1-15?????,they are also claiming the colors black and gold!!! ,So if I get this right ,I must pay the NFL if I want to paint something Black and Gold ,if someone knocks on my door and I yell out "Who Dat?"I have to pay the NFL????,and lord forbid that I ,being of French heritage,should employ the Fleur on something,I will have to make a loan????

I understand it is on a "For Profit" thing that they are complaining,BUT ,where does it stop?????

Forgot a link.
    http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...f_who_dat.html

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    This is crazy,the NFL has gone completely out of control.They are now claiming the "rights" to the words "WhoDat" l
    Now you need to send a dollar to the NFL....

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Here you go Mav..the government is on your side.

Don't be surprised if you see T-shirts at the Super Bowl that read: "Who Dat Say We Can't Say Who Dat?"
    That's the message of Louisiana Sen. David Vitter, who is teaming up with local T-shirt makers to tackle the NFL over the ownership rights of "Who Dat," the traditional cheer of New Orleans Saints fans.
    The NFL is demanding that merchants stop selling Who Dat shirts, hitting them with cease-and-desist letters.
    The National Football League says the shirts infringe on a legal trademark it owns. Separately, two brothers and longtime Saints fans claim they own the phrase, which was around before the long-downtrodden team's inception in 1966.
    But Vitter, a Republican, stood up to the league, sending an e-mail to supporters saying the phrase belongs "only to us here in Who Dat Nation, and not the NFL."

Vitter said his campaign will be printing shirts that read, "Who Day Say We Can't Say Who Dat"
    "Together, we'll stand up for our Saints and fans and shout 'Who Dat' loud and proud on Super Bowl Sunday," Vitter wrote.
    The league said Friday it's not trying to exclude all uses of Who Dat and the fleur-de-lis logo -- just when either is used in combination with other Saints trademarks, like their fleur-de-lis logo and uniform designs.
    The teams chant -- "Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints" -- is often shortened to "Who Dat" on shirts and signs and has been a mainstay at the Superdome since the 1980s. Saints fans, still jubilant after the Saints' win over the Minnesota Vikings for their first Super Bowl appearance, have voiced their dismay on radio talk shows, blogs and Web site posts. Many say it's something that simply can't be owned.
    "How can they put a trademark on something that's been around for 150 years?" said Robert Lauricella, a 50-year-old oil field sales representative. "Just because the Saints have made the Super Bowl, why does everybody have to make a buck?"
    Shirts bearing the Saints cheer are big business as the team prepares for the big game against the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV on Feb. 7 in Miami.
    Lauren Thom, owner of the Fleurty Girl T-shirt shop in New Orleans, said Thursday that she recently received a letter from the NFL demanding that she quit selling "Who Dat" shirts.
    "I don't mind paying royalties," Thom said. "I just don't know who owns 'Who Dat' or whether it's in the public domain."
    The NFL doesn't cut much slack when it believes it owns a trademark. This case is no exception.
    In an e-mail, league spokesman Brian McCarthy said the NFL has sent a handful of letters in the past year asking vendors to stop selling "Who Dat" merchandise. The unlicensed shirts led fans to believe the Saints endorsed the product, he said.
    "This helps protect the local businesses that are selling legitimate Saints merchandise and also the local printers that are making the licensed Saints apparel," he said.

More at the link
    FOXNews.com - Louisiana Senator to NFL: New Orleans Owns 'Who Dat!'
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    "It seems unclear who, if anyone, owns it," Harvey said. "A lot of people believe it belongs to the city and the people."
    +1000000 if you add all Saints fans in there.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Geez. Funny how it never meant anything until the Saints made it this far. Greedy asses. It always has to be about money.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    I would love to know how they claim rights to the fleur de lis - isn't it from like 12th century France or something like that?

they would have to go a long way back to claim that one...

now WhoDat... they can have fun trying to stop that one all day long - I think they have lost their minds... why haven't they made a claim to it before this year? or all the shirts made before this season? or how about the brown paper bags used during days gone by

I knew they were nuts, and greedy - but that's just a little bat shit insane if you ask me...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Screw the NFL.

The Acadiana flag has been around as long as I can remember, and it incorporates the fleur de lis. (Possibly even before the Saints started using the fleur de lis. They had to get it from somewhere.)

Maybe us Cajuns oughta sue the NFL for infringement.

FYI: "Acadiana" (for those who don't know) is the parishes of Cajun Country which is in basically the south central region of the state.

Oh, and GEAUX SAINTS! WHO DAT???

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

CopsRCool302 Guest
    you know, since my vikings lost to the saints, I was gonna go for the saints in the SB, I thought that shot on Brett's legs was cheap and uncalled for, SOOOOO.. GO COLTS!

is it me, or why would you put your first strings in a pro bowl and risk them getting hurt? I think its so dumb to have a pro bowl to start it.

Be safe

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I located this article in reference to Who Dat........;-)

Statement from WhoDat, Inc. January 28, 2010
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    i cant stand "who dat" and i cant stand "who day" and i really cant stand "who day say we cant say who dat" more than anything...the whole thing is ridiculous. the nfl is also ridiculous for trying to claim its rights, but the entire premise and the fact that peole actually say "who dat' is what really boggles my mind.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    i cant stand "who dat" and i cant stand "who day" and i really cant stand "who day say we cant say who dat" more than anything...the whole thing is ridiculous. the nfl is also ridiculous for trying to claim its rights, but the entire premise and the fact that peole actually say "who dat' is what really boggles my mind.
    Wha dat u sayin?

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Wait a second... They're claiming black and gold? Let's sic the NFL lawyers on the Latin Kings!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Wait a second... They're claiming black and gold? Let's sic the NFL lawyers on the Latin Kings!
    It'll be teh Sharks vs. Kings!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I should think they'd have a hard time copyrighting the fleur-de-lis as it's got a rather lengthy historical usage, not to mention this little nugget. "On 9 July 2008, Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal signed a bill into law making the fleur-de-lis an official symbol of the state."

Fleur-de-lis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMSu4dOIsbg"]YouTube - An Original Who Dat Video from 1983[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLCy46NWO4s&feature=re lated"]YouTube - New Orleans Saints WHO DAT NATION THEME - Black & Gold (Who Dat!) - K Gates[/ame]

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Didn't the Saints just steal "Who Dat" from the Bengals' "Who Dey" anyway?
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Code6 is offline Beep,Beep!!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I located this article in reference to Who Dat........;-)

Statement from WhoDat, Inc. January 28, 2010

I am F....ing pissed about the WHO DAT! Bull Shit the NFL is pulling. For those of you that don't know, I grew up Lafayette, LA. and played little league football and middle school football there. It was 198 frinkin 3 when my 8th grade football team went undefeated. Throughout our entire season we chanted WHO DAT!, and more specifically WHO DAT, SAY DE GONNA BEAT DEM TROJANS, WHO DAT?, WHO DAT?... We pulled our team chant directly from that video, posted by BC.

NFL I am holding my hand up in the air, I'll let you figure out which fingers are up and which aren't. However my right hand looks an awful lot like a Fleur De Lis.

Now Second Chance and Cajunguy I'll give you rep if you can guess which school I went to without using the internet or the telephone book.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it really is all about?

Police others as you would have them Police you.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Chalk one up for the lil guy!

The NFL yesterday (after state attorney general got involved) decided that they had been "MISUNDERSTOOD" and decided they only hold the rights to the official logo.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._to_sue_n.html

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    Chalk one up for the lil guy!

The NFL yesterday (after state attorney general got involved) decided that they had been "MISUNDERSTOOD" and decided they only hold the rights to the official logo.

Buddy Caldwell says no need to sue NFL over 'Who Dat' | Louisiana Politics & Government - - Louisiana Politics | State Legislature News - NOLA.com
    Who dat attorney?

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    It was just a matter of time, but it is only a partial victory since the phrase "Who Dat", cannot be used with the Saints. But I guess when you go up against a monster like the NFL, take what you can get...............;-)

WHO DAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Thread Information