Welcome to the APBWeb.
    SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

I'm an Idiot: stories from SPD part pi r squared "Captain Crunch"

Well, I'm an idiot. This is no surprise to anyone who knows me - especially me. But I just wish sometimes stupid didn't hurt.

About 2 weeks ago, I was sent to an "urban outdoorsman" sleeping behind a church. At first, I drove right by him and didn't see him. I double back, and he's up on a concrete platform in between two large AC units and associated ducts. Two other cops check out with me to help. Well, the guy is crazy - as is normal for many of this sort.

I make the initial contact, and he immediatly twists off. He's screaming, ranting, flailing his arms all about. You know - just saying hello. The female officers who's there tries to talk him down. He won't come off the platform. I really just want to send him on his way, but no . . . . . it can't just be simple.

He won't give me his ID so I can check warrants. He won't get down. He won't tell me his name. He won't stop screaming all his crazy. We try for awhile, and nothing. We come down to that we're gonna have to go get him off there. Guess who gets the duty?

I reach for him, and he starts punching at me wildly, then turns around and runs for it. But he's blocked in on 3 sides by the AC units and building. Only way out is through me or over an AC unit into the waiting arms of another officer. But now he's tried to hit me. I tell him to get down, and he turns and wants to fight. I get up on the platform, and OC him. Nada. May as well have been water.

Only room up there for me and him, so I grab some crazy guy clothes and do the crazy-guy toss off the platform (really no room to struggle with and cuff him in that narrow space). I toss him down onto the ground, and the other two are positioned to keep him from running. BG lands poorly (apparently not a gymanst), and is proned.

Here I see an opportunity to jump down off the platform onto him and get him bagged up. I don't want to crash down on the little fella and crush him, so I jump off intending to straddle him, then mount him and cuff him.

Bad move. I jump off (it's maybe 2 feet down) with my legs spread apart. While in the air, he quickly flips onto his back, and I see it coming. His left foot comes straight up. I know I'm getting ready to have my balls fight it out with his foot. And he's wearing boots - my balls are not. It is in these brief moments that you take stock of your life. My thoughts flashed to my children - and how I probably wouldn't be able to make anymore of them after this.

Well, sure enough, I land giblets-first right on his foot. I'm pretty sure one of my boys hits me in the back of the throat. I still land on him, but more of in a heap than the controlled ninja-mounting technique I was hoping for. I think I made the sort of noise you'd expect from a cat if you were stepping on it hard. He flails about some more, but now the other two there pig-pile him. They have it obviously, so I roll out and go over a few feet and cry (not really). After the cuffing and breif period of explanation of why that was rude, the other two ask me if I'm OK. They thought I hurt my knee jumping down. I said in a slightly elevated voice that it wasn't my knee. They figure out from my posture what the problem was - and now it's spectacularly funny. To them.

I'm able to stand, but not upright. My friend bonks my right on top of the head. He said he was trying to knock them back down. Our crazy friend gets put in the back of my car - it's the closest. I wobble over and haul him in, with the female following me because BG's still worked up into a tizzy.

I get to the jail and still have a little problem standing all the way up. The female (while we're putting up our pistols before going into the jail) looks at me and says with a huge grin, "Quit being a pussy." I always liked her.

Well our crazy guy calms down and goes into the cell without much further ado. I write a throw-down report for the entertainment of the supervisor and me. On the suspect block under employment, I put "Walnut Cracker", on aliases "Captain Crunch". On the injury block I put that photos were attached. It was rejected oddly enough.

I know stupid hurts. But sometimes I wish it would hurt someone else.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Oh you hit your knee, your wee knee, LOL Damn I'll remember that next time I toss a guy and have to jump down. We've all been here bro it's part of the game.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    SPD, Dude... That's horrible, are you feeling better now?

*snicker* *giggle*
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "Quit being a pussy." I always liked her.
    She's funny. She has jokes.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Haha, better you then me. But reading the story, I think mine hurt a little in sympathy
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Ouch

Funny though
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Haha, better you then me. But reading the story, I think mine hurt a little in sympathy
    I don't even have any, and mine hurt a little in sympathy too!

It's great to have you and your funny stories of Murphy's Law back, Spd!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Glad to have you back!!

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    I'm sure your grand kids will enjoy this story one day as much as we all did!
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A brave man walking all bent over here....posting in the general forum too. Reps.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Thread Information