Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CopsRCool302 Guest

Thumbs down New York Cops making Cops looking bad :(

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It looks like those 2 NYPD cops made themselves look bad, if they are guilty of what they are accused of.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

CopsRCool302 Guest
    Thats true.. I thought about that as well, but you know what its like with cop haters, they always find some ammo against Law Enforcement. its something with the media, they always find dirt on cops, and yet never tell people what a dangerous job it is.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    It looks like those 2 NYPD cops made themselves look bad, if they are guilty of what they are accused of.
    Exactly. These two officers, if the story is true, made themselves look bad. It's disheartening when we read these types of stories but let's not forget to take a look at the bigger picture. How many officers with the NYPD didn't commit crime? How many times have they done the honorable thing? How many officers would cringe at the thought of committing this type of crime or any crime for that matter?

While not what LE needs, it certainly doesn't define who or what they are. Just my .02
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This is what happens when you lower the starting pay so low qualified applicants apply somewhere else.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CopsRCool302 View Post
    Thats true.. I thought about that as well, but you know what its like with cop haters, they always find some ammo against Law Enforcement. its something with the media, they always find dirt on cops, and yet never tell people what a dangerous job it is.

One might say that the media simply does precisely what you did.

They lead with sensationalism to draw attention to the story they wish you to see.

This site is for cops, not the cop haters - so you'll likely get a different response.

Police work is a dangerous job, but is certainly nowhere near the most dangerous job, statistically. It certainly offers no excuse for immoral behavior like committing an armed robbery.

I think Xiphos has the better point, which is that when you make police work pay what New York has, you will draw unqualified applicants.

However, I count NYPD officers among my friends, and I know that almost all of the 37,000 of them are honorable, hard working cops despite their pay.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

They lead with sensationalism to draw attention to the story they wish you to see.

This site is for cops, not the cop haters - so you'll likely get a different response.

Police work is a dangerous job, but is certainly nowhere near the most dangerous job, statistically. It certainly offers no excuse for immoral behavior like committing an armed robbery.

I think Xiphos has the better point, which is that when you make police work pay what New York has, you will draw unqualified applicants.

However, I count NYPD officers among my friends, and I know that almost all of the 37,000 of them are honorable, hard working cops despite their pay.
    Very well said.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned

I can say without a doubt that this was not CRC's intention. He was simply trying to make conversation as promised to a friend; he meant no harm. He understands now why the post was not appropriate for this site. As is the case with the media, and everyone else, we should not rush to judgment.

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Starting pay is $40,062 base in the academy according to their website...and $43,000 base (48,000 with uniform allowance, holiday pay) after 1.5 years. I guess the cost of living is much higher there. Down here, thats starting pay for the top paying departments near the Birmingham metro...the ones that can pick and chose who they want.

Starting pay for my little department is $24,190 for comparison.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama512 View Post
    Starting pay is $40,062 base in the academy according to their website...and $43,000 base (48,000 with uniform allowance, holiday pay) after 1.5 years. I guess the cost of living is much higher there. Down here, thats starting pay for the top paying departments near the Birmingham metro...the ones that can pick and chose who they want.

Starting pay for my little department is $24,190 for comparison.
    Until recently they had a starting pay in the 20K range. There are years of cops hired under that contract and more than a few sub-standard I'm sure. The cost of living in NYC is astronomical and even at 43K that's still gotta be rough.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Google up a cost of living calculator and you can quickly find out if the pay holds water.

In New York, the surrounding bouroughs pay two to three times as much as the PD.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Google up a cost of living calculator and you can quickly find out if the pay holds water.

In New York, the surrounding bouroughs pay two to three times as much as the PD.
    Good idea. I put $43K in for where I live now and if I moved to NYC I'd need to make $100503.76 for an equivalent cost of living.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Good idea. I put $43K in for where I live now and if I moved to NYC I'd need to make $100503.76 for an equivalent cost of living.
    So now imagine living where you do now, but only making about $20K/yr. and see how hard that would be. That's what rooks in NYC face. I don't know how anyone does it without having a second Full Time career.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Until recently they had a starting pay in the 20K range. There are years of cops hired under that contract and more than a few sub-standard I'm sure. The cost of living in NYC is astronomical and even at 43K that's still gotta be rough.
    I could be mistaken but I think that the starting pay was right around $25,000, which is an absolute disgrace.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    So now imagine living where you do now, but only making about $20K/yr. and see how hard that would be. That's what rooks in NYC face. I don't know how anyone does it without having a second Full Time career.
    yeah, i heard guys fresh out of the academy were residing with 6-8 other cops in apartments just to get by. fuck that.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Yikes! I would need to make 140.47% more if I moved to NYC. Poor guys! (literally)

Thread Information