Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

5.11 Tactical Light For Life Evaluation

Recieved the 5.11 light from Baumshoe last Friday and have been playing with it every since. The light comes in a sturdy cardboard box with a plastic handle on one end. Inside the box is a plastic tray which contains the light , a charger and bracket , a plastic flashlight holder , four mounting screws and an instruction book. The flashlight is constructed of a solid black polymer which would allow it to be carried by departments that don't allow metal flashlights ( L.A.P.D.) yet in an emergency this light would pack quite a wallop if one was forced to utilize it as an impact weapon. It's roughly the size of a standard Mag or Streamlight but feels a little lighter. There is no need to ever change the batteries or bulbs as it is design to last the owner a lifetime. In fact it does not have batteries and you can't access the interior of the light. The light is designed to last 50,000 recharges. The light has three modes of operation. Peak (270 lumens) , Standard (90 lumens) , and Strobe. You single click the power button for Standard, double click it for Strobe and hold the button down for Peak. The flashlight is designed to last 60 minutes on Standard and 20 minutes on Peak. I tested this out and found that the flashlight pretty much lasts as advertised. The light at Peak is very bright as it lights up a dark room. Looking into the light has a nice blinding effect. Standard is very bright also. The head of the flashlight is hexagon shaped instead of round to prevent it from rolling around. The most awesome aspect to the light is that when the light goes dead , you simply plop it in the charger and 90 seconds later you have a full charge. I checked this several times and it was 90 seconds everytime except one time it actual took a minute and 30 seconds. The flashlight does fit into a standard Mag flashlight duty belt ring. The flashlight is designed to be water resistant but 5.11 advises against fully submerging the light in water. The charger comes with a bracket which makes it easy to install inside a unit. The charger has a plug which is designed to go into a vehicle's cigarette lighter. This flashlight in my opinion is a great piece of equipment that no patrol officer should be without. It 's an investment for sure but to have a continious , reliable source of light available to you is priceless.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

dotgope is offline I'm just sayin'
    Verified LEO
    Appreciate the review. I've been debating a purchase for several months... and still haven't made up my mind. This helps though.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I checked this several times and it was 90 seconds everytime except one time it actual took a minute and 30 seconds. .
    ^Huh?

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I checked this several times and it was 90 seconds everytime except one time it actual took a minute and 30 seconds.
    Uh . . . . . huh?

I reread that three time. Or twice more than once. Except that once that it was once more than twice. Or two less than five times.

Any chance you can post a pic of it next to like an SL20 so we can get an idea of the size?

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SPD View Post
    Uh . . . . . huh?

I reread that three time. Or twice more than once. Except that once that it was once more than twice. Or two less than five times.

Any chance you can post a pic of it next to like an SL20 so we can get an idea of the size?

Yeah , I'll see what I can do for you at work tomorrow.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I like mine. I used to carry at least two streamlights because they would go dead on Traffic Collisions or crime scenes. Now I just stick it in the charger and it is back up in less then 90 seconds. I bought mine a while ago from Baumshoe. It has been a good light.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I checked this several times and it was 90 seconds everytime except one time it actual took a minute and 30 seconds.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    There is no need to ever change the batteries or bulbs as it is design to last the owner a lifetime.
    That's pretty cool! :

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I like mine. I used to carry at least two streamlights because they would go dead on Traffic Collisions or crime scenes. Now I just stick it in the charger and it is back up in less then 90 seconds. I bought mine a while ago from Baumshoe. It has been a good light.
    How much was it at Baumshoe? I'm too lazy to go look myself! Hopefully you aren't too lazy to answer. hehehe
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

The box the unit comes in.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

The contents.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

The flashlight in the charger. The unit is designed to be stored in the charger when not in use.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

The 5.11 compared to a standard Mag Lite. Sorry SPD , couldn't find a Streamlight.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

The charger assembly also has mounting holes for screws on the bottom so it can be installed in a vertical or horizontal position.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Thanks, brother. Frankly, I thought it would be bigger (something my wife said to me once). I also was inder the impression that the handle was the same shape as the head (again . . . weird).

Thanks for the pics.

Thread Information