Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: English Cop

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

English Cop

My youngest daughter just returned from a trip to London. While she was there, she was talking to a London Police Officer and when she told him I was a cop, he took a pin off of his uniform and gave it to her to give to me. The pin is shaped like a Poppy and has "Metropolitan Police" on the bottom. Can anyone tell me the significance of this pin?

( By the way, she saod the Officer looked "real scary" but he was a real nice guy. She even has a photo of the 2 of them.)
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Is it a red poppy?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It's a red poppy, so I assume it has to do with Armistice Day. It's also dated 2009.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Armistice and Remembrance Day.

It's their version of Memorial Day. My wife wears one (Canadian) every year.

I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    It will be a remembrance day pin. A red poppy wouldn't be used for anything else due to it's use related to Remembrance sunday (the parades and offical engagements are held on the closest sunday to 11th November).

It was started after the first world war and the poppy was adopted due to the conditions on fields in Flanders where the year following the war a huge number of poppy grew due to the soil disruption caused by the fighting. Althought they were not sold in aid of veterans until 1921.

BBC - h2g2 - Remembrance Day - Poppy Day
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Good on him. I would try and track him down and send him a patch.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Good on him. I would try and track him down and send him a patch.
    All I have is the picture of the 2 of thm. I'd bet there are a boat-load of London cops! If I had a way, I'd certainly get in touch with him.

Winston Churchill

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I have some Canadian quarters that have the red poppy on the back. That's the only reason I knew about the signifiance, but didn't know it was also in England.

Here's a photo of them, but mine are smaller

There was a rumor about them having a RFID tracking chip embedded in the center when they came out, because it has little dots that look like it could be an electronic chip.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    My dad is a cop in a small town. Some years ago he took a prowler complaint from an old widow. She had moved to America after her husband, a London police officer, had passed away. In the years between that call and her death, he made a point to stop in regularly and check on her as she was a member of the LE family. Near the end he was visiting with her more often than family did.

After she died, my dad recieved a call from her lawyer. She had left him in her will her husbands collection of London police badges, buttons, pins, and uniform pieces to include the bobby helmet. For my birthday he sent me the entire collection minus the bobby helmet. When I visit them in September, I'm supposedly getting that too.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    All I have is the picture of the 2 of thm. I'd bet there are a boat-load of London cops!
    That is what would make it fun and very cool when you find him.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    My dad is a cop in a small town. Some years ago he took a prowler complaint from an old widow. She had moved to America after her husband, a London police officer, had passed away. In the years between that call and her death, he made a point to stop in regularly and check on her as she was a member of the LE family. Near the end he was visiting with her more often than family did.

After she died, my dad recieved a call from her lawyer. She had left him in her will her husbands collection of London police badges, buttons, pins, and uniform pieces to include the bobby helmet. For my birthday he sent me the entire collection minus the bobby helmet. When I visit them in September, I'm supposedly getting that too.
    What a beautiful story! May she and her husband rest in peace.

All I have is the picture of the 2 of thm. I'd bet there are a boat-load of London cops! If I had a way, I'd certainly get in touch with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    That is what would make it fun and very cool when you find him.

And then you'd have to get him on O/R so he can tell his side of the story....

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Theres about 33,000 of them in the London MET police.

The City of London police is much smaller with only around 800 officers, their uniform is destinct from all the other UK police forces as they have a red and white check band on their hats rather than the Black and White worn by most of the others.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That is a cool story. Maybe you could PM the picture to some of England officers, maybe they could help you track this officer down.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Hmmm my photo dissapeared - maybe there's something to that spy chip theory
    FOXNews.com - Canadian Poppy Quarter Caused 'Spy Coin' Warning - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

Here's another photo

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think that was an awesome gesture for a cop who was making a point to say that even far from home there is a brotherhood.

I have nothing but positive things to say about coppers I have met from around the commonwealth.

They do it differently than we do, but they all want the same thing.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    If there is a visible number on his uniform I may be able to help.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    On a side note if any of you or your families come over here PM me as we get discounted tickets to many attractions, Madame Tussuads, Warwick castle etc.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    On a side note if any of you or your families come over here PM me as we get discounted tickets to many attractions, Madame Tussuads, Warwick castle etc.
    Damn. Now I have to find the nuts to get back on a plane.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Ducky is online now Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    I wanna go to Madame Tussauds!! It sucks to be broke and therefore limited in travel opportunities.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    This thread is full of win.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information