Welcome to the APBWeb.
    nick122590 is offline Officer First Class

swat going overboard?

found this on a local car forum. the video explains itself. most of the people making comments about it are saying oh its a pitbull (acting like every single one lives to kill) officers i talk to say they will usually bring a fire extinguisher or pepper spray to scare the dog away. people making comments are also talking about how its bs they did the raid with kids home. i have no idea what to say about that since i have no experience in that. what do you guys think?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbwSwvUaRqc&feature=pl ayer_embedded]YouTube - Columbia Mo SWAT Raid 2/11/2010. Cops Shoot Pets With Children Present[/ame]

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nick122590 View Post
    found this on a local car forum. the video explains itself. most of the people making comments about it are saying oh its a pitbull (acting like every single one lives to kill) officers i talk to say they will usually bring a fire extinguisher or pepper spray to scare the dog away. people making comments are also talking about how its bs they did the raid with kids home. i have no idea what to say about that since i have no experience in that. what do you guys think?

YouTube - Columbia Mo SWAT Raid 2/11/2010. Cops Shoot Pets With Children Present
    No tac team I've ever had any experience with brings a fire extinguisher or OC spray along on the actual entry to the house. Those are valid methods of animal deterrence while approaching a target, but not once breeching has occurred. The ONLY weapons I want in my hand at that point are lethal. You couldn't pay me to breech a residence with an OC fogger at the ready to deal with a dog.

As for the kids, there are too many factors about the raid for me to comment on that particular aspect.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    this very video someone left on my blog in the comments section last night. no other comment, just this video. well, i'm not going to watch it nor comment on what SWAT officers needed to do to be safe.

but i do have one comment of my own on the stupid comments left on this video.

we wouldn't wish horrible things to happen to you if you caused the death of our dog. that to me, shows a decided lack of character, morals, humanity. my! what kind of people wish other people to be dead over a dog?
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There are many people who find the killing of a dog or other animal worse than people.

You will probably find some of them even here.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    There are many people who find the killing of a dog or other animal worse than people.

Now Mac..were you referring to me???

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

All depends on the person and the dog. I think very highly of my dogs
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    I did not watch the video knowing the killing of the dog(s) would bother me...even though I trust a brother officer to do what is right in a fast moving set of circumstances where he/she has to make a decision...so my response is in reaction to what you typed about the video...

I can attest to the fact that for a dog in full protection mode..especially those that are bred and then trained for protection (especially dogs like Pits that seem to adore their family's children)..a fire extinguisher and/or pepper spray will most likely just piss them off. Tasers can work but present their own complications and severe limitations.

Our job is to protect....that is what we do..we protect the public and each other...I dont think any police officer wants to harm another living creature..especially in front of children as we carry a soft spot in our hearts for children and a lot of us for animals...but safety is paramount. If the circumstances presented itself and it was the safety of an officer or another person, I would shoot a dog. Just as I would shoot a person if someone's life was in danger and the shoot was warranted and justifiable.

This comes from a lover of the pitbull breed, a person with a degree in animal nursing with a special interest in dog behavior and a police officer.

And maybe, just maybe...if the parents of said children did not create a situtaion where SWAT had to come in...their children would not have to witness something that will distress them. Just a thought....

nick122590 is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    All depends on the person and the dog. I think very highly of my dogs
    i was just referring to what i heard/seen. i have never seen a raid where there is a dog in the house. only in the yard. i wish it showed what happen. some people are saying the dog was running away when they shot it. if so why shoot? and if you noticed they only shot the pitbull. not the other dog that is walking right around the officers. it just scared me when i saw this and then i saw the kid walking right past.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtlady View Post
    this very video someone left on my blog in the comments section last night. no other comment, just this video. well, i'm not going to watch it nor comment on what SWAT officers needed to do to be safe.

but i do have one comment of my own on the stupid comments left on this video.

we wouldn't wish horrible things to happen to you if you caused the death of our dog. that to me, shows a decided lack of character, morals, humanity. my! what kind of people wish other people to be dead over a dog?
    Let me be clear on what I was referring to here....I read some of the comments on the youtube video and some were wishing the officers would die in a horrible way....all because of a dog. That's just wrong.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Nope, I was not specific.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Nope, I was not specific.
    Fuddy-duddy..I was just teasing lol

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    My narcs and Tac 30 used to kill dogs pretty regularly in dope houses. Not something we liked but even good dogs will object to the invasion of their territory by individuals covered in fear smell.

Ya do what you have to....

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO

And maybe, just maybe...if the parents of said children did not create a situtaion where SWAT had to come in...their children would not have to witness something that will distress them. Just a thought....
    great point here
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    great point here
    That would mean the people have to excercise personable responsibility and we just cannot have that in this day and age
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Thread Information