Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Leadfoots Beware: Future Speeding Tickets Will Come from Space

Think you’ve trained yourself to spot a police car hiding behind a bush or a roadsign? You’re wasting your time. They’ll just get you by satellite.

The U.K.’s Telegraph reports, “A new type of speed cameras which can use satellites to measure average speed over long distances are being tested in Britain.” The “SpeedSpike” system would enable enforcement over a wider area than a simple speed trap or speed camera, which can monitor only one road at a time.
    Leadfoots Beware: Future Speeding Tickets Will Come from Space- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

Could this be the way traffic enforcement be going in the next 10 - 20 years? 50 years?

Kicking Tires has questions as well. “If this is the stuff being dreamed up to nab speeders,” KT asks, “why exactly haven’t we caught Osama bin Laden?”
    Thoughts? I think Obama wants to bow down and kiss his feet, if given the chance.

We should note, however, that the system isn’t actually being used to issue tickets yet. The Mirror reports, “It is not known when the cameras might come into use.”

Still, the increasing prevalence of speed cameras, and the possibility of linking them all together through a satellite network, means we can foresee a day when drivers are never out of the sight of law enforcement. If the SpeedSpike experiment works, in a few years, every road could be a speed trap, all the time.
    Though it might be safer for you guys out there issuing the tickets, for some reason I still see flaws in this logic.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live—did live, from habit that became instinct—in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized."
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    "There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live—did live, from habit that became instinct—in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized."
    Love that book. And that summarizes me feelings quite well
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Thread Information