Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO

how athletic are soccer players?

theres been a lot of sports talk radio discussion around here about soccer recently with the start of the world cup. primarily, are soccer players the best athletes in the world? i believe you can make a case for them. any thoughts?
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Tap,

I afraid I gonna have to get that man card from ya buddy.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'll agree with that. I played from Kindergarden tihrough High School and almost in College. Even at that level, you are on the move for 80 minutes. No stopping, no time outs, no Tv breaks. From the quick changes in speed, direction, and bursts of power needed to perform well, you have to be in amazing shape.

From Freshman year on I started and played varsity. Even with all of the conditioning we did, there were games where you would have to nearly be carried inside once you got home because your body just refused to work anymore. I've played sports of various kinds all of my life, and that was by far the most demanding.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Tap,

I afraid I gonna have to get that man card from ya buddy.
    dude, i played college soccer. im 6'2, 220 lbs...i was 230 in college, benching 300. by no means was i even close to being the biggest, strongest, or toughest guy on my team.

i also did MMA after my college graduation, played college rugby, and in high school i played baseball, basketball, and ice hockey. most of the athletes on the soccer team in my high school were also star athletes in several other sports and went on to play some sport in college. most of the guys on my college team were also star athletes in several other sports.

soccer players RUN for 90 minutes straight, sprint in constant intervals, and play much more physically then they are ever given credit for.

my college fraternity was made up of guys on the soccer team. when we competed in greek week against other fraternities, we beat them regularly in basketball, softball, football, etc...and the other frats had members of the basketball team, rugby team, baseball team, wrestling team, lacrosse team, etc...we only had soccer players, and 1 wrestler.

just saying
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Relax tap, I played when I was younger too. I'm a button pusher, didn't I tell ya?

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Relax tap, I played when I was younger too. I'm a button pusher, didn't I tell ya?
    yeah, until you were 7, and realized that you could hit people in football...

Ace
    Ace is offline haud pacis pro scelestus
    Verified LEO
    As far as professional sports go they are probably not even top 5. Anyone can get out on a soccer field run around a little bit and look like they're doing something right. But put someone on a hockey rink or football field and if you're not talented, it will be blatantly obvious.

The average soccer player runs 4 miles during a game. Considering the games are 80 or so minutes long, the players are averaging a 20 minute mile. I watched a bit of world cup (not by choice) and the majority of the time the guys on the field were just dinking the ball back and forth while walking or slightly jogging, and only occasionally would I see some of them running.

I don't subscribe to this idea that soccer is some great athletic feat. It is one of the most boring sports games I've ever been cursed to watch. However, I do see why its popular in countries where real sports are way to expensive for people to play.
    RIP Sarah Noll~11-8-87 to 4-17-08

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Also did the frat games sir

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    dude, i played college soccer. im 6'2, 220 lbs...i was 230 in college, benching 300. by no means was i even close to being the biggest, strongest, or toughest guy on my team.

i also did MMA after my college graduation, played college rugby, and in high school i played baseball, basketball, and ice hockey. most of the athletes on the soccer team in my high school were also star athletes in several other sports and went on to play some sport in college. most of the guys on my college team were also star athletes in several other sports.

soccer players RUN for 90 minutes straight, sprint in constant intervals, and play much more physically then they are ever given credit for.

my college fraternity was made up of guys on the soccer team. when we competed in greek week against other fraternities, we beat them regularly in basketball, softball, football, etc...and the other frats had members of the basketball team, rugby team, baseball team, wrestling team, lacrosse team, etc...we only had soccer players, and 1 wrestler.

just saying

I got ya on this one. It's incredibly physical. I played on injuries that football friends of mine thought I was an idiot for even walking on. I've been on the losing and winning end of hits that rival alot of football and rugby plays, without the pads on.

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    As far as professional sports go they are probably not even top 5. Anyone can get out on a soccer field run around a little bit and look like they're doing something right. But put someone on a hockey rink or football field and if you're not talented, it will be blatantly obvious.

The average soccer player runs 4 miles during a game. Considering the games are 80 or so minutes long, the players are averaging a 20 minute mile. I watched a bit of world cup (not by choice) and the majority of the time the guys on the field were just dinking the ball back and forth while walking or slightly jogging, and only occasionally would I see some of them running.

I don't subscribe to this idea that soccer is some great athletic feat. It is one of the most boring sports games I've ever been cursed to watch. However, I do see why its popular in countries where real sports are way to expensive for people to play.
    this is weak

ok, put a guy who cant ice skate on ice and hes obviously gonna fail...but half of my high school ice hockey team also played soccer, the other half played lacrosse, many played soccer and lacrosse...zero football players were on the ice hockey team. there were some football players on the lacrosse team.

in high school, i hung out with a lot of football players, and when we would play football together, me and the other soccer players not only held our own, but many of us excelled and were just as good as the football players, and some were better. however, when we would pull out a soccer ball, those guys (football players) looked like a bunch of monkeys trying to fuck a watermelon.

Verified LEO
    plus, EVERY player on the soccer field is atheltic...there are no 400 lb fat bodies just standing around clogging up the middle, there are no 7 foot tall dufuses who cant even jump over a credit card but can still dunk a ball because their arms go above the rim when they are just standing there, and we all know baseball is just a whole lot of standing around doing nothing unless you play center field or middle infield...

Ace
    Verified LEO
    this is weak

ok, put a guy who cant ice skate on ice and hes obviously gonna fail...but half of my high school ice hockey team also played soccer, the other half played lacrosse, many played soccer and lacrosse...zero football players were on the ice hockey team. there were some football players on the lacrosse team.

in high school, i hung out with a lot of football players, and when we would play football together, me and the other soccer players not only held our own, but many of us excelled and were just as good as the football players, and some were better. however, when we would pull out a soccer ball, those guys (football players) looked like a bunch of monkeys trying to fuck a watermelon.
    Ok strike the hockey, bad example. Instead insert basketball, it takes alot more coordination and athletic ability then soccer.

Verified LEO
    Ok strike the hockey, bad example. Instead insert basketball, it takes alot more coordination and athletic ability then soccer.
    not even close...hand eye coordination is much easier than foot eye coordination...and see above.

i will say many basketball players are EXCEPTIONAL athletes...but many are also tall, lanky, and awkward.

Ace
    Verified LEO
    plus, EVERY player on the soccer field is atheltic...there are no 400 lb fat bodies just standing around clogging up the middle, there are no 7 foot tall dufuses who cant even jump over a credit card but can still dunk a ball because their arms go above the rim when they are just standing there, and we all know baseball is just a whole lot of standing around doing nothing unless you play center field or middle infield...
    If you're talking about Offensive Linemen, they are still extremely athletic. Being athletic does not mean strictly running ability and endurance. As far as baseball goes, baseball players have to be extremely athletic. They have to have superb hand eye coordination as well as perfect muscular control and balance. Soccer players only have to run.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A goal keeper has more coordination and athletic ability than a basketball player. To launch themselves from a crouch not only vertically towards the cross bar, but horizontally, towards the opposite side and still have the ability to at least knock down, if not completely catch a leather ball traveling 70 mph or more takes much more skill than dribbling, shooting, blocking, and rebounding.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    A goal keeper has more coordination and athletic ability than a basketball player. To launch themselves from a crouch not only vertically towards the cross bar, but horizontally, towards the opposite side and still have the ability to at least knock down, if not completely catch a leather ball traveling 70 mph or more takes much more skill than dribbling, shooting, blocking, and rebounding.
    Yeah I can see that, but it pales in comparison to what baseball players have to do in the same situations.

Verified LEO
    If you're talking about Offensive Linemen, they are still extremely athletic. Being athletic does not mean strictly running ability and endurance. As far as baseball goes, baseball players have to be extremely athletic. They have to have superb hand eye coordination as well as perfect muscular control and balance. Soccer players only have to run.

im only speaking from MY experience. i have played every sport (on an organized team), and i have excelled in every sport that i played.

you are obviously a soccer hater (which im used to, there are plenty out there)...and have probably never played the game. until youve played the game at a high level, or even at all, your opinion cant really count. because you dont really know.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    and yes, i was a goalkeeper in college, and totally agree with this

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I can appreciate soccer, but I hate it because it is boring as hell to watch and to play.

Verified LEO
    I can appreciate soccer, but I hate it because it is boring as hell to watch and to play.
    yes, it can be boring.

especially if you dont care about it in the first place...its not as boring to those who can appreciate the nuances of the game

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information