Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO

I thinking there'd be venison in the freeze

Especially if it was my dog or cat.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADGn1GABF0Q&feature=pl ayer_embedded"]YouTube - Cranbrook Deer[/ame]
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    You can't blame the deer for protecting its newborn fawn. In the deer's mind, it was surrounded and just needed to get out. That said, I hope the dog and cat are ok.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That deer would have had several rounds in it from me. I need to show this video to alot of people that think wildlife is just cute and fuzzy creatures.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    One of the many reasons I'm always armed - wildlife.

I hope the dog was ok. The thing wasn't even facing the deer when it was attacked. I love dogs and it's too bad no one there was able/willing to do something for it.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Wow, I didn't know deer could do that!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    And what was the cat thinking, trying to hang out with a fawn? Stick to your own kind!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oxfOncYiag[/ame]

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post

I hope the dog was ok. The thing wasn't even facing the deer when it was attacked. I love dogs and it's too bad no one there was able/willing to do something for it.
    +1

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    If nothing else, the video shows the misguided mindset of how to deal with wildlife. A doe will leave her fawn in a safe place as she forages. But the very concept that a safe place is a good size neighborhood and the parked car is the best palce shows what we are doing to wildlife.

They are wild animals. They shouldn't be that comfortable around humans. Wild animal with a comtempt for humans is not a good or healthy thing. In the scheme of things, humans are both predator and prey. A deer is further down the ladder and is usually prey. But you see it more and more. We ban wolf hunting and then there are wolves attacking livestock and the occassional dog- at least in one Northern state where it's becoming an issue.

Here in CT, we are seeing bear and moose again. Both are finding it perfectly okay to wander around in residential areas. Moose and bear are not fuzzy little cute creatures. They're dangerous.

I won't even go into the coyote and mountain lion problem. Anyone with any google-fu can see what those do across the country.

Now, I'll be the first to say, I don't mind a deer in my back field. It doesn't mess with my horses. But the day it goes Chuck Norris on the dog is the day the deer dies. Likewise, coyotes and foxes on the prowl for our cats. 55 grains work well on those- for the moose and bear, I'd up the caliber and bullet weight.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I just found out that there are badgers living under the road that I live on. We just moved in.

Badgers are mean, mean, mean, nasty little animals. I've heard stories from farmers nearby about how they've broken dogs legs, killed dogs, and bloodied horses and cows to the point where they are put down or died from blood loss.

If I ever even SEE a badger in my yard, I'm shooting it. They're dangerous.

I think it's unfortunate that it's that way, but that's how it is.

And I read the description of the video on the youtube website; it said the dog walked away limping, but has made a full recovery. And the cat is fine.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Badger='possum with hemorrhoids. MEAN critters.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I don't think my dog woulda taken a whoopin' like that first of all. But I'm also not going to go cracking rounds off in a neighborhood to protect a dog from a deer. Even my own. Too much risk.

Or course, I will shoot an interior wall with almost no provocation, so maybe my priorities are messed up.
    Idiot

Thread Information