Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Computer

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO

Need Computer

My old Dell desktop is gone. It was about eight years old and the processor kept going down- the thing keeps crashing. Then it got hit with a virus of some sort and now it's toast.

So new computer time. I currently down to using my ancient Sony laptop and it's way outdated. Dells appear to have gone up- I ran a custom set-up through them and it came to about $1800. What's a good computer for a reasonable price these days?

Also, this is the second time something got through my Mcafee? Is there a better anti-virus program?
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I use Trend Micro Antivirus. I've had my HP laptop for going on 4 years now and haven't had it crap out from a virus yet. It's still pretty fast and is good for everything I use it for.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    I have a gateway that is 6+ years old, use spybot search and destroy(free) and superantispyware(also free) no problems so far...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I'm in the market for a new laptop as well. For what I need, I've been seeing a price range of $1300-$1600 (the highest quote included a netbook along with the laptop).

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    I build my own desktops, so I couldn't tell you about a good company or price for those - I never go for the top of the line, about middle grade, they last me about 4 years, and run me about $800...

I just priced laptops for my wifey and for a friend, I like Toshiba laptops, I hear that Asus isn't too shabby - the Toshiba that my friend picked up ran about $450 - but then it all depends on need, she only needed it for school work and to get on the internet and goof off

if you game, have high res programs, or other intense stuff that you're running, of course you're going to need more high end stuff - but my desktop that I built can pretty much handle whatever, it's almost a year old and the components were top of the line a year and a half ago
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Both my desktop and laptop are Gateways'..........no real preference for me, just got good deals on them.........;-)
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I run Avast antivirus and have yet to have had a problem with mine. My son recently had a an issue with his but I'm not exactly sure how. I think it was a voluntary click on an unknown pop up instead of closing it. That's how it got past the Avast on his. Zapped him good. Mac helped out bunches on that.
    My wife purchased an Asus in the $600 dollar range and it is working pretty damn good.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Mac hooked me up with Spybot......a really good program and free............;-)
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

APB Guest
    (Disclaimer: personal opinion, based upon years of doing computer stuff).

Laptops: buy Lenovo. Hands-down the best quality materials and build, and their service is insane. Must be ordered online. If you need to go and buy one in a store, generally ASUS and Sony Vaio are good.

Desktops: if you can, build your own. Not as hard as you'd think. PM me if you need info on good components. Advantage of upgrade-ability without having to replace entire system, and you get WAY more for your money... I recently built a system for a friend for $1,200 which would have cost $3,500 if comparably spec'ed from Dell.

If not, then Gateway is actually making decent desktops right now. Also look at Lenovo's desktops. I personally think that Dell = crap. They break down completely after 3-5 years, and they use awful-quality components.

Anti-virus: Norton Security Suite, the newest version. Set it and forget it. Either that or NOD32, IMHO.

Victor is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by APB View Post
    (Disclaimer: personal opinion, based upon years of doing computer stuff).

Laptops: buy Lenovo. Hands-down the best quality materials and build, and their service is insane. Must be ordered online. If you need to go and buy one in a store, generally ASUS and Sony Vaio are good.

Desktops: if you can, build your own. Not as hard as you'd think. PM me if you need info on good components. Advantage of upgrade-ability without having to replace entire system, and you get WAY more for your money... I recently built a system for a friend for $1,200 which would have cost $3,500 if comparably spec'ed from Dell.

If not, then Gateway is actually making decent desktops right now. Also look at Lenovo's desktops. I personally think that Dell = crap. They break down completely after 3-5 years, and they use awful-quality components.

Anti-virus: Norton Security Suite, the newest version. Set it and forget it. Either that or NOD32, IMHO.
    You can get Lenovo Laptops at your local Best Buy. Don't remember the pricing but I have never heard anything bad about them. They are definitely one of the sturdiest laptops I have seen. If the OP is going to lug it around work or on trips I would definitely go with Lenovo.

In any other case, when it comes to laptops, I would recommend Toshiba. In my experience, they have the best "bang for the buck."

As far as antivirus programs go, you don't need more than AVG. You can download it for free. Norton uses a lot of computer resources and will slow down the system. In reality, it's overkill.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I would think about getting a refurbished Dell desktop or laptop off eBay or Property Room or something (one with at least a 90-day warranty) from a vendor who is highly rated and has sold a lot of refurb systems.

I got a refurbished D600 Dell laptop several years ago off of PropertyRoom.com for $250 which had a one year warranty and was pre-loaded with Windows XP. Still going strong, except that the hard drive was too small so I got a 250GB one (it won't support over 160 GB partition, however - It'll run for a while, then as soon as it writes outside the 160GB boundary the disk will go corrupt). Once I read the support articles I partitioned my drive into two halfs and it's never given me a problem since.

My desktop was also a refurb off eBay - For only $200 - it's a Dell GX285 or something like that, 2.4GHz, 80 GB SATA hard drive, pre-loaded with Windows XP.

If you've ever priced Windows XP by itself, you see that's worth $100 by itself.

Be sure to get a drive imager program and a usb backup drive and occasionally take a drive image of the entire system in case the drive flakes out. then you can reinstall the whole shebang in one step, instead of having to reload XP and all your software and user files from scratch. Reloading from scratch is hard to do, since the refurbs often don't come with Windows XP install CD's.

The image software is also good propection from viruses if you keep old images and know when the virus first hit. With a 1-TB USB backup drive for about $100, you can keep a good number of disk image backups before it fills up. C/NET has some good reviews on shareware imaging software, but of course the best-known one is Norton Ghost, thus the term "Ghosting a disk"..

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I'm in the market for a new laptop as well. For what I need, I've been seeing a price range of $1300-$1600 (the highest quote included a netbook along with the laptop).

Look at Acers. My father in law (who is a frickin computer genius) will only buy them for laptops. On his reccommendation, we bought one when our old laptop died. I love the thing.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm still a Dell fan. I've never cooked one, and all the components are brand name. They sell at government rate to government employees, and if you buy it that way you get an American for tech support.

Toshiba makes a nice machine, too.

I'm generally anti-Lenovo. Try getting it fixed, and why buy Chinese computers?

I know nothing about Acer good or bad.

AVG, Avast - some of the best anti-virus programs are free. Spybot is also free, but it's a tool to kill spyware not virii.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I'm still a Dell fan. I've never cooked one, and all the components are brand name. They sell at government rate to government employees, and if you buy it that way you get an American for tech support.

AVG, Avast - some of the best anti-virus programs are free. Spybot is also free, but it's a tool to kill spyware not virii.
    Two Dell Desktops here. Never a bit of trouble. The wife has hers set up for gaming.

AVG here too, Avast is good as well.

BTW, if you ever have to uninstall Norton it is a royal PITA. At least in my experience.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I love my Dell. This past January I started having some hardware problems with it and it was still under warranty. Within a couple days I had a guy show up at my door to fix it. It was disassembled and I got a new motherboard and it was put back together in my living room. I had to have this twice and Dell was awesome helping me out.

I use Avast free antivirus and Comodo free firewall. Slick as shit and fast.

When I get the computer I reinstall the OS from scratch and keep all the BS like Norton and McAfee from installing. That crap will slow your computer down and good luck ever getting rid of it.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Comodo is a decent softwall. So is ZoneAlarm.

I no longer run a softwall and rely on a hardware firewall instead.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    My current laptop is a Sony Vaio and I use Avast. I'm leaning toward one of the Dell Studio laptops.

Verified LEO
    I checked with the IT guy that does the work at my wife's office. He priced up a Dell that fits my needs for $782. For another $50 I can up-grade the monitor to a 22"WS. I'm all over that!

He also pointed out that he didn't include Microsoft Office in the price. The package I need has most of the business programs and would have added another $350 to the price. I asked him how I'd get that. He laughed and told me to get it from work. It seems my parent organization will provide us with that free as we work on work-related projects at home. I didn't know that!

So I emailed University Computing to see what I have to do to get that.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    My current laptop is a Sony Vaio and I use Avast. I'm leaning toward one of the Dell Studio laptops.
    My laptop is a VAIO also. The problem is it's about 8 years old. It's so outdated, it doesn't do anything anymore. Watching a video on YouTube is like watching a slide show.

I don't know how fast the processor is, but it defines the word "slow".

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by CT209 View Post
    My laptop is a VAIO also. The problem is it's about 8 years old. It's so outdated, it doesn't do anything anymore. Watching a video on YouTube is like watching a slide show.

I don't know how fast the processor is, but it defines the word "slow".
    I've had mine for maybe 4-5 years or so and it's a bit slow and it's heavy. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of getting a lower-priced laptop and a netbook that I can take when I travel - or spend a little more and just get an ultralight laptop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information